ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Logistics and the one man show  (Read 5166 times)

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: tablet mixing
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 10:17:06 AM »

( although I'd be interested in what people are using in the way of cheap Windows laptops these days ).

IF the only thing you want to do with it is touchscreen control of a console, both HP and Dell have machines at less than $300.  I'm using a Dell Inspiron "duo" I got back in 2012 (shipped with Win7, upgraded to Win10) to drive my Soundcraft Ui16.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 01:13:39 PM »

IF the only thing you want to do with it is touchscreen control of a console, both HP and Dell have machines at less than $300.  I'm using a Dell Inspiron "duo" I got back in 2012 (shipped with Win7, upgraded to Win10) to drive my Soundcraft Ui16.

Dave
Ah, but the Soundcraft Ui16 is unique in the market that everything is done through a thin-client HTML 5 web browser - i.e., if computer can run Chrome, it can interface with the Ui16 mixer - Windows, MAC, Linux, Android, IOS, or even a Chromebook. 
I know my A&H and Presonus mixers cannot be controlled in this way.  Too bad - the browser-thin client approach would seem to have many advantages in terms of development and multiple platform support.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 02:29:16 PM »

Too bad - the browser-thin client approach would seem to have many advantages in terms of development and multiple platform support.
Absolutely!  Supporting multiple OS's through multiple releases is expensive and, in general, a PITA.  I'm still hoping more manufacturers adopt the browser approach.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »

I'd be interested in what people are using in the way of cheap Windows laptops these days

We picked up a couple of refurb Lenovo X220s from Newegg for less than $250 each. We use them with a Ubiquiti bullet for various wireless control and have been very happy.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 04:30:41 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.