ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orbit Shifters & Labhorns  (Read 15703 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: Orbit Shifters & Labhorns
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 12:31:22 PM »

Thanks Art,

You know, I bet every speaker manufacturer wants to hide when it comes to talking about distortion at anywhere near quoted output  ;D

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 01:14:28 PM »

Thanks Art,

You know, I bet every speaker manufacturer wants to hide when it comes to talking about distortion at anywhere near quoted output  ;D
Other than Welter Systems, that does seem to be the case ;^).
I have shared distortion specs along with frequency response whether they look pretty or not.

It is funny (ha,ha..) to see specifications extrapolated from AES power ratings (an open air speaker with impedance much higher than it's nominal value would suggest) with no accommodation for in cabinet thermal compression, or the fact that a fraction of the rated power may result in exceeding Xmax by such a margin that harmonic distortion components are much higher than the fundamental level.

That said, distortion is so much a part of most pop music it seems most folks simply don't notice it, especially when it's generated from subs.

Art

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 05:09:35 PM »

Thanks Art,

We've been having Data-Bass independently test our subwoofers. The CEA-2010 burst testing not just measures output but the output within specified distortion limits. Here is some info on their testing:
http://www.data-bass.com/know-how

One confusing things is the Data-Bass does a 2 meter, RMS test vs the 1 meter, peak CEA-2010 spec so you have to add 9db to their numbers for 1m, peak. The Growler and Orbit Shifter both surpassed their rated specs. The Growler was able to average 140db, 1m, peak, 50hz and above while still producing 128.7db at 40hz, 1m, peak, within CEA-2010 distortion limits.  The Orbit Shifter was able to average nearly 150db, 1m, peak, 50hz and above while still producing 142db at 40hz, 1m, peak, within CEA-2010 distortion limits.

Growler:
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=118&mset=130

Orbit Shifter:
http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=system&id=119&mset=131
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:48:14 PM by Jeff Permanian »

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 08:28:27 AM »

Hi Jeff,

I think it's quite admirable that your subs are tested by data-bass.  IMO, the distortion and compression tests amount to a refreshing full disclosure... 

How I wish other manufacturers provided such info, either directly or preferably through independent 3rd party testing such as data-bass.

BTW, it's amazing to me how well the Orbit Shifters and Labhorns sing together.
A little bit of level and timing matching and off they go...

Josh Ricci

• Data-Bass
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 12:06:39 PM »

IMO, the distortion and compression tests amount to a refreshing full disclosure... 

How I wish other manufacturers provided such info, either directly or preferably through independent 3rd party testing such as data-bass.

I've reached out a few times through email to a few companies about perhaps sending a loaner sub to test but so far no takers. Most of the time I don't get a reply back. Could be the emails hitting the junk bin. Granted I could probably put more effort into it. Perhaps I will give it an effort next year.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2016, 12:06:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.