ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: First-Time Builder Seeks Feedback  (Read 10120 times)

rob barone

Re: First-Time Builder Seeks Feedback
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 10:56:33 PM »

Thanks to all for your time & info.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 12:40:22 AM »

Other worthy boxes that can be salvaged and repurposed are the behringer 1800bx, peavey subcompact 18 and many others that are ok cabinete that can shine with a driver upgrade

Ditto on repurposing the b1800x cabinet.  It's not your Dad's rat fur covered Behringer crap.  I use a B&C driver and make a few small bracing and porting mods.  I buy the cabinets any time I can off Craig's list with blown drivers.  I am up to 8 of them and they work very well Crown xti4002's (2 per amp)

I also have kw181's, they don't go as low but they are 2/3 the size, powered and get the job done for the size gig you are describing.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Kevin Bayersdorfer

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 03:37:30 PM »

Here is a route you may want to consider. I build two of these fearful design cabs with the Eminence 3015LF drivers. They sound really good and hit hard for 15's In the thread I listed a Carvin HD1500, but I upgraded that to an HD3000 so I am pushing these with 2200 watts. I did an outdoor gig last September with them, I had a guy who played with Johnny Winter and I believe was the road manager for a while, Paul Nelson come into the tent and say Dude! that kick sound is phenomenal what do you have...2 15's..No Way! yep So that was a great justification for me.. They are light, somewhat small, and I can use only one if needed. http://greenboy.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4343 

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 03:28:17 PM »

If you do decide to go the prebuilt route and really want small & light, take a listen at the EV ZXa1 subs. For what they are, they punch above their weight class, I feel. Not room shaking, but they put out good bass you hear, rather than feel. They really balance out the sound of the top boxes I use in my studio and at small events. Should be able to pick them up for a little over $500 each.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Cam MacDonald

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 08:14:05 AM »

Other worthy boxes that can be salvaged and repurposed are the behringer 1800bx, peavey subcompact 18 and many others that are ok cabinete that can shine with a driver upgrade

An older thread, my apologies, but I own a set of the Peavey Subcompact 18's and would very much be interested in what you would recommend for driver upgrades in these band pass boxes. I currently used them under a set of Yamaha S112 Club series for a 1 person live setup, using backing tracks of Rock and Country mostly.
Many thanks for your suggestions.

VB

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber