ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pop in sound system  (Read 3827 times)

Bill Beach

pop in sound system
« on: August 26, 2017, 11:38:42 PM »

??? we have a 300 seat auditorium which includes two 'overflow' areas on either side of main room.  the main room is generally set up for 140 but can be expanded.  recently we have had a 'pop' develop in the sound.  highly intermittent, and plenty loud to hear but not distracting unless during sermon.  by 'highly intermittent' I mean during a regular Sunday service, it may pop once or twice.  we normally do 2 Sunday services and be tween the 2, we may get 2-3 pops.  just a very clear 'snap' sound.  almost as if someone had switched something on that was on the same circuit (nothing is except sound equipment).
also it will happen when I am there alone, no one else any where in any of the buildings.
feel free to ask any questions.
any help/advice is very much appreciated!

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: pop in sound system
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 03:32:26 AM »

??? we have a 300 seat auditorium which includes two 'overflow' areas on either side of main room.  the main room is generally set up for 140 but can be expanded.  recently we have had a 'pop' develop in the sound.  highly intermittent, and plenty loud to hear but not distracting unless during sermon.  by 'highly intermittent' I mean during a regular Sunday service, it may pop once or twice.  we normally do 2 Sunday services and be tween the 2, we may get 2-3 pops.  just a very clear 'snap' sound.  almost as if someone had switched something on that was on the same circuit (nothing is except sound equipment).
also it will happen when I am there alone, no one else any where in any of the buildings.

We need a lot more information from you, brands and models of speakers and desk and mics.

Are there wireless mics(I doubt it's the problem but if we don't know)?

How old is this system, could be a faulty ground and a failing cap in anything along the signal chain.

I would start with checking the electrical system, is everything still grounded correctly?
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 08:36:12 AM »

??? we have a 300 seat auditorium which includes two 'overflow' areas on either side of main room.  the main room is generally set up for 140 but can be expanded. recently we have had a 'pop' develop in the sound.  highly intermittent, and plenty loud to hear but not distracting unless during sermon.  by 'highly intermittent' I mean during a regular Sunday service, it may pop once or twice.  we normally do 2 Sunday services and be tween the 2, we may get 2-3 pops.  just a very clear 'snap' sound.  almost as if someone had switched something on that was on the same circuit (nothing is except sound equipment).

Recently?

What changed?  New equipment?  Any system changes?  Any non-sound alterations/additions?  Weather/humidity/carpeting? 

Possibilities:

Static discharge. Failing wire.  Bad switch.  Oxidizing connections.

Look also for coincidences:

HVAC cycling, kitchen activity, etc.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:59:23 AM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Stelios Mac

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 08:56:23 AM »

If nothing else has changed, I'm guessing either a bad cable or wireless mic interference. Does it show up on any channel or DSP VUs?

Is anything muted and/or off when you're there alone? Channels on the board? DSP?

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »

Intermittents like this can have going in circles-start making notes on what you have tried or eliminated.  If it is consistent-happening once or twice an hour, my first step would be to shut everything-and I do mean everything-off except the circuits the sound system is on.  That would localize it to the sound system-or something else inthe building.

One culprit I have found is a failing CFL (compact flourescent lamp)-also could be a failing ballast.  LEDs or flourescents could be the issue. 

Of course, as others have said, these would be my first suspects-unless there is something changed anywhere in building.
Steve Swaffer

Sammy Barr

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 07:23:15 PM »

I traced a pop for weeks and found it to be a faulty condenser microphone on the piano. I just happened to be watching meters when it appeared and then I knew the source. I replaced the cable, changed to a different channel and finally replaced the microphone to clear up the problem. If it was winter I might think your problem could be static electricity build up. Good luck.

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »

I traced a pop for weeks and found it to be a faulty condenser microphone on the piano. I just happened to be watching meters when it appeared and then I knew the source. I replaced the cable, changed to a different channel and finally replaced the microphone to clear up the problem. If it was winter I might think your problem could be static electricity build up. Good luck.

Put a camera to record your sound board.  Play back to see if pop shows on any meters, especially output.  If pop doesn't show, then downstream.

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 10:33:02 PM »

Keep an eye on LED's on your channels.  You should see the pop light up the LED if it is related to a specific channel input. 

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »

In addition to the possibilities others mention, I've seen this happen with a loose screw on the connector body of a gooseneck microphone. Tightening the screws resolved the issue.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.