ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: It's time to buy subs again. Oh boy.  (Read 5426 times)

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
It's time to buy subs again. Oh boy.
« on: September 26, 2016, 05:19:32 PM »

Before I get to what I've narrowed down my choices to, a bit of info -

I have EV ETX 15's and ZLX 15's and 12's for tops. Depending on the gig, the 12's are on monitor duty.

I used to have an ELX sub. Just one. It would huff and it would puff but not a whole lot came out. So, I sold it.

For a few gigs, I've rented KW181's. Clients have been happy, but I'm not 100% pleased with them. Plus, more gigs requiring subs are coming up and renting is a p.i.t.a.

So, with enough gigs coming up to justify the purchase, I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck.

I can either get two EV EKX's, or afford one EV ETX (because it's both more expensive and larger). Would two EKX 18's be better than one ETX 18 sub? I have the ability to hear the EKX's demo'd, but not the ETX. If I went with the ETX, it would be with the goal of purchasing a second, eventually. With the EKX, I can afford both, now. That's the choice I'm hung up on.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Paul G. OBrien

Re: It's time to buy subs again. Oh boy.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 05:38:57 PM »

Given the output potential of those ETX15s I'd say you would be artificially limiting the system with anything less than the ETX18sp. The EKX18sp would be the option if you wanted maximum portability but you might have to plan on getting 4 eventually.

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »

Given the output potential of those ETX15s I'd say you would be artificially limiting the system with anything less than the ETX18sp. The EKX18sp would be the option if you wanted maximum portability but you might have to plan on getting 4 eventually.

Turns out some refurbished ETX 18's are available, so I might be able to stretch and get two. then, I might purchase a ramp to get them in my Honda Element because I'm not lifting that!  :D

I've purchased used gear before, but never refurbished. Wondering if I should worry.. says the full warranty is in place.. never heard of this vendor before, but it seems to be an established business with a brick and mortar spot in Maryland.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 03:19:47 PM »

I was in a similar position earlier this year and was torn between the EKX18sp or KW181. I couldn't get to hear the EKX18sp but spoke to an EV rep and he said the EKX18sp is basically the ELX118p but with added DSP. Whilst the driver is different I was told it performs very similar to the ELX driver. As a result I went with the KW181's and have to say they are quite a step up from the ELX118p's that I had! The ETX subs were just too big to fit into my van when fully loaded and too heavy for me to lift regularly!

I've had the KW181's for over 5 months now and they continue to put a smile on my face when I hear them! They pair well with my Yamaha DXR15's and I'm extremely happy with my purchase!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 03:33:15 PM »

Turns out some refurbished ETX 18's are available, so I might be able to stretch and get two. then, I might purchase a ramp to get them in my Honda Element because I'm not lifting that!  :D

I've purchased used gear before, but never refurbished. Wondering if I should worry.. says the full warranty is in place.. never heard of this vendor before, but it seems to be an established business with a brick and mortar spot in Maryland.

I would not worry about the refurb.   B or even C stock is sometimes a great business opportunity.

I was going to tell you to keep renting until you got enough for a pair of the ETX's but you beat me too it. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 03:43:17 PM »

Everybody here loves to argue over sub specs.

In looking over the specs, I don't see a lot of difference between the EKX18SP and the ETX18SP except low-end reach and price. However, not all of the info is included with both. Apparently, the Electrovoice marketing team tends to conveniently omit certain specs that they are not proud of.

Anyway, it depends on what is more important to you. For roughly $2250 US, you can get three EKX's compared to only two ETX's. I would think that 3 would perform well enough in bars and clubs. And if you buy before the end of September, most retailers are offering free covers with them.
Member since 2005.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 05:37:05 PM »

Everybody here loves to argue over sub specs.

In looking over the specs, I don't see a lot of difference between the EKX18SP and the ETX18SP except low-end reach and price. However, not all of the info is included with both. Apparently, the Electrovoice marketing team tends to conveniently omit certain specs that they are not proud of.

Anyway, it depends on what is more important to you. For roughly $2250 US, you can get three EKX's compared to only two ETX's. I would think that 3 would perform well enough in bars and clubs. And if you buy before the end of September, most retailers are offering free covers with them.

Ivan has covered many times the way specs can be skewed to meet marketing goals.  I am not an EV guy but I have ran the EKX/ELX and had a chance to look run the ETX's.  You can't compare them, one is a toy MI grade cheap feeliing box that sounds about like a JRX, the ETX is a well built workhorse that reaches deeper than the KW181's.  If I didn't have such an investment in KW I would have bought the ETX's instead of more KW.  You have to have the ability to transport them, while they don't look much larger on paper they handle much larger if that makes any sense.  They are almost a foot deeper and 6" wider than the KW181's

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 05:40:51 PM »

Couldn't go with the refurbs because shipping wasn't included. These were from a company that usually sells to schools and institutions. I called and had to be passed around until I reached the person who knows about "that stuff."

So, here's what I did. I bought one ETX, sent the form for the free cover, and when I can, will "send" for the second. There is only one event on my calendar next month that needs more than one ETX sub and I may be able to get free use of a KW181. Don't know about mis-matching sound, but the subs will be out-of-sight at this event. If I finally get a check for a non-sound related job (if you've ever been hired by state/municipal institutions, you know what I mean), I'll have that 2nd ETX even sooner. Done.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 05:43:20 PM »

Couldn't go with the refurbs because shipping wasn't included. These were from a company that usually sells to schools and institutions. I called and had to be passed around until I reached the person who knows about "that stuff."

So, here's what I did. I bought one ETX, sent the form for the free cover, and when I can, will "send" for the second. There is only one event on my calendar next month that needs more than one ETX sub and I may be able to get free use of a KW181. Don't know about mis-matching sound, but the subs will be out-of-sight at this event. If I finally get a check for a non-sound job related project (if you've ever been hired by state/municipal institutions, you know what I mean), I'll have that 2nd ETX even sooner. Done.

I think you will be pleased.  I have never mixed subs.  Since they won't have the same phase/impulse or frequency response you won't get anywhere near the theoretical maximum summing gain.  Once you get down to only a 3db improvement it's not worth the trouble. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 06:18:49 PM »

I think you will be pleased.  I have never mixed subs.  Since they won't have the same phase/impulse or frequency response you won't get anywhere near the theoretical maximum summing gain.  Once you get down to only a 3db improvement it's not worth the trouble.

Good point. It's a DJ'd event in a room that's a near-perfect square with a bar/counter, and oddly, shower, smack dab in the middle of it. The DJ will be placed in a corner. So, the sub will likely be as well. I was going to have subs in two corners (same side of room) so as not to overwhelm a food area on the other side.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 06:18:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.