ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: L6-20 250v to 15a edison (Labre)  (Read 22769 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: L6-20 250v to 15a edison
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 07:29:15 PM »

I have a DNA20k4 amp on it's way. It has a 32a powercon on the chassis with a L6-20 250v plug on the end. I'll need to occasionally use this with out a distro, and I'm unsure how to wire up a 15a 120v adaptor to this.
Am I correct that an L6-20 250v has 2 hots and a ground? No neutral? 
Thanks,
BJ
Here is what we do "at the shop".

Get a female L6-20.  Lowes and Home depot have them.  And a regular edison male plug.

Hook the ground to the ground.  Then the other 2 leads to the edison.  It doesn't matter which ones you connect where.

This was we can plug the L6-20 into a regular 208-240V circuit or plug it into a regular edison outlet.

The polarity does not matter 
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 09:16:13 PM »

Look at the diagram.
the Neutrals are not connected anywhere.
if one circuit is reversed it will be 120V. it will work but not full power.
if it is the same phase it will just not work. nothing will blow..
i don't think it is legal but it is safe.
You are right - I wrote that quickly and was thinking of a power distro situation where there is a neutral bus.

That said, your adapter is still not legal, and not completely safe, as the two circuits you are drawing from do not have a common trip breaker, and do not have a common connector, which means that if the amp is powered on and one plug is plugged in, line voltage is present at the other male plug.  Also, if only one of the two supply breakers trips, the amp will stop operating, however it has failed in a way that is still energized, which would be very surprising to someone who didn't thoroughly understand what you're doing.

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 10:23:58 PM »

I would think that the appropriate solution here is to purchase a powercon cable mount connector that will mate to the amp and make a 120v cable assembly for the amp. Messing with odd adapters is a pain and if done wrong can be dangerous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+1 by another 32amp power on and an Edison. Then you have a 110 cable and a 220 cable and not a mess of an adapter that while it may be safe it's not code correct.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2016, 09:43:19 AM »

Look at the diagram.
the Neutrals are not connected anywhere.
if one circuit is reversed it will be 120V. it will work but not full power.
if it is the same phase it will just not work. nothing will blow..
i don't think it is legal but it is safe.

But Yoel, think about what happens if you unplug one of the edisons, while the amp is still connected.  The 120V from one outlet travels through the amp and out the hot pin of the unplugged Edison, presenting a shock hazard to anyone or anything that comes in contact with it.  (Can you tell I've done this in the past, and thought through the possible downsides?  ;) ).  I think that's the biggest reason you shouldn't use such an adapter.  It might be acceptable in the shop, for testing purposes only, but not out on a gig where other distractions could cause accidents to happen.

I like Ivan's solution better.  It's perfectly safe.  It will work under all conditions.  You just can't get full power out of the amp, which shouldn't be a show stopping condition.  If you need full power, you'll need a proper distro, tied into a proper service.  Simple as that.

GTD

edit:  I see I've just restated what TJ said two days ago (two responses up)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 09:48:52 AM by Geoff Doane »

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2016, 10:23:13 AM »

But Yoel, think about what happens if you unplug one of the edisons, while the amp is still connected.  The 120V from one outlet travels through the amp and out the hot pin of the unplugged Edison, presenting a shock hazard to anyone or anything that comes in contact with it.  (Can you tell I've done this in the past, and thought through the possible downsides?  ;) ).  I think that's the biggest reason you shouldn't use such an adapter.  It might be acceptable in the shop, for testing purposes only, but not out on a gig where other distractions could cause accidents to happen.

I like Ivan's solution better.  It's perfectly safe.  It will work under all conditions.  You just can't get full power out of the amp, which shouldn't be a show stopping condition.  If you need full power, you'll need a proper distro, tied into a proper service.  Simple as that.

GTD

edit:  I see I've just restated what TJ said two days ago (two responses up)
That's right.

This was the only concern i have about it. i did not mentioned it here before, because i never measured it to see if it returns power since it have a universal transformer.

I only use it on situations where i can't use my Distro box.

i always make sure to plug the Edison in first before i connect the L6-20.

i use the amps for my 2 J1's which need full power. covering more then 35k sqf. so i choose to rather go full power on the amp and not take a chance of tripping the breaker during the show.

Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

Josh Evangelista

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 08:01:46 PM »

Hey guys want to chime in 'cause my DNA20K4 is arriving soon.

So granting you plugged this on two 120V, 15-amp outlets on two separate circuits, will you now draw 30amp on 240V? Which means can I run a DNA20K4 at full power, like 4 DBHs at 2ohms bridged or 8 TH118s at 2ohms bridged?

Josh Evangelista

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 08:11:03 PM »

Nevermind. I found out it stays at 15amp. The question now is if I can go full power on the amp.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 10:02:41 PM »

Nevermind. I found out it stays at 15amp. The question now is if I can go full power on the amp.
Not legally or safely. If you can't use a distro with the appropriate receptacle, just use the single edison adaptor. I made up a powercon to uground cable and it eorks fine although not full power.
BJ
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Josh Evangelista

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 02:07:16 AM »

Not legally or safely. If you can't use a distro with the appropriate receptacle, just use the single edison adaptor. I made up a powercon to uground cable and it eorks fine although not full power.
BJ

What Danley cabs are you powering it with and how many? Did you set amp to limit?

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 03:55:26 AM »

What Danley cabs are you powering it with and how many? Did you set amp to limit?
Just 2x ea Sm80 and TH118, one per channel. I used Danley settings but had early limiting during first real workout. See my post in the Lounge.

Edited: You were probably asking about the adjustable AC breaker protection. I did dial it down to 20a and kept an eye on the laptop. It showed I was using less than 10a. This amp should give out plenty with 120v.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 10:30:21 AM by Bradford "BJ" James »
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 03:55:26 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 26 queries.