ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: jbl 828p vs meyer650p  (Read 2214 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: jbl 828p vs meyer650p
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 06:17:44 pm »

Spent LOTS of time with the 650P... it was one of the early subs to go down low and give some real action at 30Hz.  Its also as tight as a bowl of Jello.   I'm a huge Meyer fan boy, and love everything about everything they do.  But I would never buy 650P subs.  Maybe if I needed something for hip-hop but otherwise they are too slow, too sloppy, and nothing close to the output of modern large format subs.  Vs Mi boxes I'd take the Meyer, but otherwise nope.  They use Caire drivers with 3" voice coils, products from a different time.  New drivers have much more output, much lower power compression, and just sound better.

The Meyer 700 was a totally different sounding box and with a bit of wrestling at 90-100 Hz always sounds good assuming you have enough for the gig.  If you're looking at 700s then yes absolutely get them!

Hi Pat, I'm a bit of a Meyer fan boy too, and have (just one) 650-P still kicking. 
I think alot of folks, including me, expected the 650-P to be a 650-R2 replacement, only self-powered. 
But it's not. According to Meyer, the 650-P was built to mate with the MSL-4, with extraordinary phase alignment even for Meyer. 
I find the 650-P to be a highly refined sub.....tight as a stone....until you push it into limiting, which happens ALL too quick IMO...then you get the jello you speak of...

Anyway, at it's designed output level,  I would absolutely love to hear, probably even own, a huge ass WALL of 650-P's  :)

Nathan Riddle

• Panhandle, FL
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 03:21:55 pm »

zombie thread alert...
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 09:05:40 pm »

zombie thread alert...

I ain't no Zombie.....I eat salt.....everybody knows Zombies don't eat no salt...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.