ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: jbl 828p vs meyer650p  (Read 10696 times)

bill jones chauncey

• jerry garcia band fanboy
jbl 828p vs meyer650p
« on: September 25, 2016, 12:37:13 AM »

I am putting together my small band PA. So far i have two jbl srx 815p's. I see on the local cl a Meyer powered sub , a 650-p. they r asking 1600. And that happens to be  the price of what the brand new srx828p powered double18 costs. ( a dent n scratch from AMS).

I was told the Meyer sub is an early one and weighs mucho. whatever early means. maybe it means old and tired.  i could use some guidance please. i love love love the 815p. and the matching modern JBL sub would be great. One the other hand i have always dreamed about owning a Meyer anything. ( i am a hobbyist. i don't do any sound jobs. thanks for any advice.

I guess the main question is does it really go sonically lower and also be loud enough for the two 815p's 
JBL SRX 835p (2)....SRX 815p(2)....SRX 828p(1)....PRX818xlf (2).  Driverack PA2, Soundcraft UI12

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: jbl 828p vs meyer650p
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 09:06:42 AM »

I am putting together my small band PA. So far i have two jbl srx 815p's. I see on the local cl a Meyer powered sub , a 650-p. they r asking 1600. And that happens to be  the price of what the brand new srx828p powered double18 costs. ( a dent n scratch from AMS).

I was told the Meyer sub is an early one and weighs mucho. whatever early means. maybe it means old and tired.  i could use some guidance please. i love love love the 815p. and the matching modern JBL sub would be great. One the other hand i have always dreamed about owning a Meyer anything. ( i am a hobbyist. i don't do any sound jobs. thanks for any advice.

I guess the main question is does it really go sonically lower and also be loud enough for the two 815p's
It depends on what you really need it for.

Are you talking about 1 sub and 2 tops? 

You say you are a "hobbyist".  I am not exactly sure what that means.

For playing around in your house or back yard, a single of either sub would probably be enough, depending on musical style and how loud you need it to get.

It would help to know what sort of usage you intend, before anybody can state if either sub would be suitable.

For some uses you should probably use at least 4 of either sub for the 2 tops.  But 1 might be enough.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »

I've never heard a 650p, but based on the spec sheets I'd give the nod to the SRX. It's lighter, has DSP settings to work well with your tops, and should get a little bit louder. The Meyer is only rated at 600 watts per driver, and that's a burst rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill jones chauncey

• jerry garcia band fanboy
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 03:15:21 PM »

thanks Scott. JBL SRX has such a great reputation. In addition i could buy 2 of the 800 series single 18 but from what i have learned reading the web a 2x18 is better, louder, and cheaper then 2 singles.

so that is it :)  i can't imagine finding a better fit then the matching sub of the same series.  It'll be a tight lil thBTW, i ordered my 815's as Dent n Scratched. they were not dented or scratched. i registered them just like new ones. So at 1599 the srx828p is the winner.
JBL SRX 835p (2)....SRX 815p(2)....SRX 828p(1)....PRX818xlf (2).  Driverack PA2, Soundcraft UI12

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 12:24:17 PM »

thanks Scott. JBL SRX has such a great reputation. In addition i could buy 2 of the 800 series single 18 but from what i have learned reading the web a 2x18 is better, louder, and cheaper then 2 singles.

so that is it :)  i can't imagine finding a better fit then the matching sub of the same series.  It'll be a tight lil thBTW, i ordered my 815's as Dent n Scratched. they were not dented or scratched. i registered them just like new ones. So at 1599 the srx828p is the winner.

And to be honest you would also be happy with just a pair if the single 18's, but I agree the double 18 is a better value. I run my 815's over just one 818 per side. I use the volume attenuators to balance the system.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 03:24:54 PM »

As far as I know, the Meyer offerings for there large format stuff only work on 240 volt 30 amp receptacles. You would have to make a plug if this one doesn't come with it.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 06:45:19 PM »

As far as I know, the Meyer offerings for there large format stuff only work on 240 volt 30 amp receptacles. You would have to make a plug if this one doesn't come with it.
I've run some Meyer gear off of 120V.

So-it depends
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 07:53:32 PM »

The long discontinued Meyer 650P runs on either 120 or 240 volts.

Mac

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »

I should have added that it will run on 240 OR 120, the receptacle itself is a 30 amp 240 volt variant. Hence why I said he will have to make a plug if it doesn't come with one.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Pat Semeraro

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 01:24:25 AM »

Spent LOTS of time with the 650P... it was one of the early subs to go down low and give some real action at 30Hz.  Its also as tight as a bowl of Jello.   I'm a huge Meyer fan boy, and love everything about everything they do.  But I would never buy 650P subs.  Maybe if I needed something for hip-hop but otherwise they are too slow, too sloppy, and nothing close to the output of modern large format subs.  Vs Mi boxes I'd take the Meyer, but otherwise nope.  They use Caire drivers with 3" voice coils, products from a different time.  New drivers have much more output, much lower power compression, and just sound better.

The Meyer 700 was a totally different sounding box and with a bit of wrestling at 90-100 Hz always sounds good assuming you have enough for the gig.  If you're looking at 700s then yes absolutely get them!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 01:28:59 AM by Pat Semeraro »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 01:24:25 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.