ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Amp Recomdations for (4) Danley Th 118's and (4) Sm 80's  (Read 10255 times)

Tamar Ghobria

Amp Recomdations for (4) Danley Th 118's and (4) Sm 80's
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:36:10 PM »

Currently using (2) Crown I-tech 6000's to power these...running 4 subs off one of of the crown amps which puts them in 2 ohms....What would be the most logical upgrade...I need to factor in power requirements since we work in venues that only have 20 amp breakers avail....I was considering the Powersoft k20's..(one for the 4 subs and one for the 4 tops)...I believe you can dictate the power draw with them

Bradford "BJ" James

Re: Amp Recomdations for (4) Danley Th 118's and (4) Sm 80's
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 04:55:57 PM »

Currently using (2) Crown I-tech 6000's to power these...running 4 subs off one of of the crown amps which puts them in 2 ohms....What would be the most logical upgrade...I need to factor in power requirements since we work in venues that only have 20 amp breakers avail....I was considering the Powersoft k20's..(one for the 4 subs and one for the 4 tops)...I believe you can dictate the power draw with them
1x Danley DNA20k4 would do that. Subs would still be 2r.
2 amps probably make more sense though if you only have wall plugs to work with.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 04:58:56 PM »

I should add I don't need anything with built in DSP since I use an external processor

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 05:09:33 PM »

1x Danley DNA20k4 would do that. Subs would still be 2r.
2 amps probably make more sense though if you only have wall plugs to work with.
The DNA amps have an adjustable current limiter-that you can dial down to 8 A or up to 50A (not that you need it to be that high).

If the current draw exceeds the limit you set, then the output will simply be reduced to keep from tripping the breaker.

But with 4 Th118s and 2 SM80s, he will come nowhere near close to tripping a standard wall breaker.  Assuming there is nothing else on the breaker.

Another solution would simply be to buy another sub amp to drive the other subs.  He just needs to find another circuit.

That is often harder to do, than to say
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 05:27:21 PM »

The DNA amps have an adjustable current limiter-that you can dial down to 8 A or up to 50A (not that you need it to be that high).

If the current draw exceeds the limit you set, then the output will simply be reduced to keep from tripping the breaker.

But with 4 Th118s and 2 SM80s, he will come nowhere near close to tripping a standard wall breaker.  Assuming there is nothing else on the breaker.

Another solution would simply be to buy another sub amp to drive the other subs.  He just needs to find another circuit.

That is often harder to do, than to say

Actually its 4 TH 118's and 4 SM 80's....so I would need one or two of the Dna 20ks?

Brian c Thomas

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 06:17:59 PM »

How are you deploying the 4x SM80's?   I am using x2 Crest PL7.5 and a QSC PLX3402 with a DSL DSP4.8 with good results for 4x TH118 and 2x SM80. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 07:08:14 PM »

Actually its 4 TH 118's and 4 SM 80's....so I would need one or two of the Dna 20ks?
Just 1 DNA20K.  It is 4 channels that are 5Kw each @ 2 ohms.

If you are running a mono system, then you could run 6 TH118s and 4 SM80s off of a single amp.

So that would be all 4 SM80s on 1 channel and 2 TH118s on each of the other 3 channels.

That is "assuming" all the SM80s are getting the same signal.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rick Powell

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 08:31:50 PM »

Economically you could pick up a used ITech 4000 to run your tops for about $1k or so, and switch one of your ITech 6000s to sub duty. You'd at least have matching amps. If power draw is a concern, break them off on separate circuits. We don't seem to trip breakers at all with our Crown/Danley system, even when we put our whole system on one 20 amp circuit.

The idea of a single DNA20k to run the whole system is intriguing though, especially with the available power, the protection, the current limiting capability, and the dsp customized for the Danley products.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 09:08:53 PM »

The idea of a single DNA20k to run the whole system is intriguing though, especially with the available power, the protection, the current limiting capability, and the dsp customized for the Danley products.
The limiting section offers several different limiters.  Basically 6 different limiters for multiband loudspeakers, 4 for single way (like subs).

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 09:13:42 PM »

The limiting section offers several different limiters.  Basically 6 different limiters for multiband loudspeakers, 4 for single way (like subs).

Are there presets for all of the danley speakers?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 09:13:42 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.