ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: telephone audio interface (VoIP)  (Read 5825 times)

Palmer Johnston

telephone audio interface (VoIP)
« on: September 23, 2016, 04:35:10 PM »

I have a need to regularly teleconference on the horizon.  It's been years since I dealt with this (my experience was w/ analog phone lines), and I've never had to spec a system.

The goal is to send mic feeds (16 mics around a conference table, run through a dugan) to a conference call, and then of course pipe the call audio into the 'conference room' (theater) so the callers can interact with the attendees. 

I'm looking at some JK products like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048253-REG/jk_audio_autoip2_autohybrid_ip2_voip_hybrid_aoip.html

But wanted to hear about real world usage, pitfalls, suggestions, best practices and products that you all have experience with?

performance trumps price in this instance, as the meetings will be relatively high profile.

Nathan Ihlenfeldt

Re: telephone audio interface (VoIP)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »

I have a need to regularly teleconference on the horizon.  It's been years since I dealt with this (my experience was w/ analog phone lines), and I've never had to spec a system.

The goal is to send mic feeds (16 mics around a conference table, run through a dugan) to a conference call, and then of course pipe the call audio into the 'conference room' (theater) so the callers can interact with the attendees. 

I'm looking at some JK products like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048253-REG/jk_audio_autoip2_autohybrid_ip2_voip_hybrid_aoip.html

But wanted to hear about real world usage, pitfalls, suggestions, best practices and products that you all have experience with?

performance trumps price in this instance, as the meetings will be relatively high profile.

Their are a number of things to consider, like return echo etc. I do this fairly often in a corporate AV install setting. I can't see why you couldn't do this quite elegantly in a rental environment with any variation of a QSC Q-sys core, including a nice iPad "UCI" for a dialer, multiple VoIP endpoints, Dante integration, AEC, automixing etc. It's an incredible powerful and mature tool. The Core 110F includes a fair amount of analog IO too.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 05:51:04 PM »

Is your room joining a conference bridge with additional participants? 

If so what kind of bridge?

If you are in charge of the bridge and have access to bandwidth this would be a really slick application for Asterisk.  Asterisk includes a great conference bridge and chan_alsa a channel driver for computer audio inputs.  You could go digital from the mixer into the conference bridge.

To manage those conference bridges you can use FreePBX, a GUI and PBX for Asterisk.

Disclosure, I have been a contributor and tireless evangelist for Open Source Telephony since the project started.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 08:19:46 PM »

If the question is analog telephone lines the answer is a Telos model One

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 01:01:56 AM »

Their are a number of things to consider, like return echo etc. I do this fairly often in a corporate AV install setting. I can't see why you couldn't do this quite elegantly in a rental environment with any variation of a QSC Q-sys core, including a nice iPad "UCI" for a dialer, multiple VoIP endpoints, Dante integration, AEC, automixing etc. It's an incredible powerful and mature tool. The Core 110F includes a fair amount of analog IO too.

We have a couple Core 110F in our production inventory, they work well for situations like this. They are also extremely flexible for other things as well.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 01:07:41 PM »

Disclosure, I have been a contributor and tireless evangelist for Open Source Telephony since the project started.
Scott,

Having a land line for the last 20 years (no cell service until recently, dependent on your carrier) in New Mexico, then recently "cut loose" here in Florida using my 11 year old flip phone, I miss my old "real" phone hardware, and (near) noise free, stable phone connections.

I'm presently on a 200mbps cable hook up, would Open Source Telephony or VOIP allow me to use my old phone hardware (with a computer hardware interface) without having to pay for a phone line?

Sorry to derail the thread, but I had been thinking about getting in touch with you about this since seeing a VOIP advertisement this weekend while visiting in Minneapolis.

Thanks,
Art

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 01:34:57 PM »

Every other year Clair Broadcast does a meeting which takes place in 5 or 6 different cities at the same time and is covered for video with regular TV trucks and satellites.

We interface 7 comm channels between the cities as well as the audio mix- from each city using Intracom System's VCOM.  This interfaced at 32k bandwidth and was indistigusable from the regular Riedel comm systems quality in each city.  Users often commented that the other cities sounded as if they were in the next room.

The audio was also superior quality and we had the audio operator delay the feed to match the video.  Primary audio for this event was embedded with the video and our VCOM was only backup.

For you event this would be the best quality - far superior to dialup and even better than other Internet based solutions due to the high bandwidth.

It's expensive to buy ($900/ port where each user and audio connection is a port) and you need to find a service with big bandwidth to host it.  It is also available as a rental service where Intracom Systems hosts the server for about $40 per port per month.  We did the 6 cities with 100 ports for a total cost for the 3 weeks shows $4000.  When we do the show we also pay for an online backup server - main is in Arizona and Backup in California.

Each port needs about 75k bandwidth with low dropped packets and Jitter.  VOIP speed testers will measure this.

For your purpose you could get by with 2 ports, 1 for sending site and 1 for RX site for a cost of $80.  I am not sure but there may be a setup charge too.  A standard computer with internal audio ports would be all you need for interfacing.  While you are at it you could add 2 more ports and have on the same computer a comm channel between yourselves.

You can read more on my website and see a video of the system in operation at https://youtu.be/aXtMCEfLStw
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 01:59:56 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 06:25:10 PM »

Scott,

Having a land line for the last 20 years (no cell service until recently, dependent on your carrier) in New Mexico, then recently "cut loose" here in Florida using my 11 year old flip phone, I miss my old "real" phone hardware, and (near) noise free, stable phone connections.

I'm presently on a 200mbps cable hook up, would Open Source Telephony or VOIP allow me to use my old phone hardware (with a computer hardware interface) without having to pay for a phone line?

Sorry to derail the thread, but I had been thinking about getting in touch with you about this since seeing a VOIP advertisement this weekend while visiting in Minneapolis.

Thanks,
Art

You can make calls between people you peer with over the Internet with the Open Source software but you can't make free phone calls.

It's basically an IP PBX.  You can use adapters to convert SIP, the dominate IP phone protocol back to a POTS line.  Models from Cisco and Sangoma IMHO have hybrids that rival the quality of the AT&T SLC96 the dominate line interface of the AT&T 5 ESS .

However if you want to make phone calls from your VoIP system to the PSTN you need a VoIp carrier.  That's what my other vocation is.

I will trade SIP trunks for gear though!

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Shane Ervin

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »

<snip> if you want to make phone calls from your VoIP system to the PSTN you need a VoIp carrier. <snip>
We've been using babyTEL for 3x SIP trunks at $5.00/each per month.  Our VoIP PBX is a FortiNET unit.
As Scott says, you need a VoIP carrier to reach PSTN lines, but fwiw, your IP-PBX will let you place SIP calls to your company's remote extensions without tying up the SIP trunks.  The IP-PBX has its own SIP registrar for your remote extensions--which can be soft phones such as the BRIA iOS app.  I can't imagine having an IP-PBX and NOT also having a SIP / VoIP provider like babyTEL.

Newer: EAW 8" MicroWedges; QSC PLD 4.2 PLD 4.3; QSC TouchMix-16; UAD Apollo 16; Sennheiser G3 IEM wireless
Older: JBL SR 4738 / SR4718; BSS MiniDrive; Klark Teknik DN-301; Yorkville AP4040 AP2020; Motion Labs Rac Pac;

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:57 PM »

You can make calls between people you peer with over the Internet with the Open Source software but you can't make free phone calls.
Thanks, Scott. That answered my question, I'll just continue with my "pay as you go" phone, and Skype...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 12:19:57 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.