ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Business Minded Questions  (Read 86390 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Business Minded Questions
« Reply #180 on: April 20, 2017, 09:27:53 PM »

Funny, this is how it looks for me...

I have complained about this multiple times.  It's not my computer as I am posting from my day vocation notebook right now.

It is something to do with nesting of formatting commands and quotes in the BBCode parser.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #181 on: April 20, 2017, 09:30:36 PM »

Scott, something in your computer is adding a lot of formatting commands. Here is what it looks like to me.

Here is my original post that got hit by the shrinking ray.  The Veranda font was added by the render engine in your browser and not part of my original post:

Here is my OP (using code tags)

Code: [Select]
[quote]Tim will say, "Excessive Capacity is Infinitely Expensive."[/size][/quote]
[/size][/size]While it's a cute phrase that gets you thinking it's not accurate. 
The cost of gear sitting on the shelf is the sum of the net future value of the cash used to
acquire the gear, plus depreciation, minus the tax savings.[/size][/size]

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:58:25 PM by Mac Kerr »

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #182 on: April 20, 2017, 09:49:58 PM »

Well, I guess to be precise, it's something with the interaction of the forums and YOUR computer, that is adding some malicious code that is then being rendered properly by others...

Also, in the code you posted, there's superfluous [/size] tags in there... I doubt those are causing this particular problem, but that's another clue at least.

No disrespect, of course, but since other people's posts appear normal, [And I know you also can post OK with your other computer] there's something on your end (the particular computer you are using) that's making your posts janky. :(
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #183 on: April 20, 2017, 09:59:33 PM »

Well, I guess to be precise, it's something with the interaction of the forums and YOUR computer, that is adding some malicious code that is then being rendered properly by others...

Also, in the code you posted, there's superfluous [/size] tags in there... I doubt those are causing this particular problem, but that's another clue at least.

No disrespect, of course, but since other people's posts appear normal, [And I know you also can post OK with your other computer] there's something on your end (the particular computer you are using) that's making your posts janky. :(

Agreed.

Mac

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #184 on: April 20, 2017, 10:03:39 PM »

Agreed.

Mac

Never any disrespect, we can always agree to disagree.

My current data points

• It's not just me, I need to take careful note the next time it happens and ask an OP to send me the source code of the other offending posts
  • It's not one computer, it has happened on several of my machines
  • I believe it is something to do with my quoting technique triggering the anomaly, at this point I can't reproduce it

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #185 on: April 20, 2017, 10:11:42 PM »

I think I saw one of Nathan Riddle's posts recently doing it. Not sure where on here, of course... I just seem to remember seeing it recently.
Kelcema Audio

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #186 on: April 20, 2017, 10:39:51 PM »

• It's not just me, I need to take careful note the next time it happens and ask an OP to send me the source code of the other offending posts
  • I believe it is something to do with my quoting technique triggering the anomaly, at this point I can't reproduce it

I have seen it from someone else, but 99% of the time it's you Scott. I don't what you have set up on your computers, but it is really pretty rare for anyone else to have this problem. What are you doing to quote? I just hit the "Quote" button. No size changes, no font changes, no extra formatting. What skin are you using?

Mac

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #187 on: April 20, 2017, 11:18:06 PM »

But anyways... [And hoping that the posts regarding technical support for the forum will get moved to a new thread...]

While it's a cute phrase that gets you thinking it's not accurate.  The cost of gear sitting on the shelf is the sum of the net future value of the cash used to acquire the gear, plus depreciation, minus the tax savings.
I'll try to clarify my comments. Yes, the quote is a bit of an exaggeration, but the point should be clear for those following along at home. If you have a piece of equipment (or system) that's only being used once or twice a year, UNLESS you are charging 35% to 50% of the purchase price PER RENTAL, then it's going to be more cost effective to just rent on an as-needed basis.

Case Study: When we provide for the Seattle Pride Parade, we bring in another company to provide lifts and flown speaker arrays. I'd LOVE to upgrade the main viewing stand to a VT4886 system. But, in order to do that, it'd cost me in the neighborhood of $75,000 to do that, and it'd only be saving me about $2,000 or so per year. So, to pay for that purchase, since I don't have any other needs for a comparable system through the year-- I'd be looking at 30 to 35 YEARS (one rental a year) to pay for it. It just doesn't make sense for me to drop that level of cheddar on a system that is only going out once a year.

Hence, the expression, "Excess Capacity Is Infinitely Expensive." Yes, I know, there's a real number involved, but in the Big Picture....

-Ray
Kelcema Audio

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #188 on: April 20, 2017, 11:30:20 PM »

While it's a cute phrase that gets you thinking it's not accurate.  The cost of gear sitting on the shelf is the sum of the net future value of the cash used to acquire the gear, plus depreciation, minus the tax savings.

Scott, something in your computer is adding a lot of formatting commands. Here is what it looks like to me.

Funny, this is how it looks for me...

That's how it displays for me, I meant to show the formatting that was being added. I stripped out the formatting to read the post.

Mac

I have complained about this multiple times.  It's not my computer as I am posting from my day vocation notebook right now.

It is something to do with nesting of formatting commands and quotes in the BBCode parser.

I think it's weird that most of your posts have extra blank lines added to the quotes.

Here is my original post that got hit by the shrinking ray.  The Veranda font was added by the render engine in your browser and not part of my original post:

Here is my OP (using code tags)

Code: [Select]
[/size][/size]While it's a cute phrase that gets you thinking it's not accurate. 
The cost of gear sitting on the shelf is the sum of the net future value of the cash used to
acquire the gear, plus depreciation, minus the tax savings.[/size][/size]

Agreed.

Mac

Never any disrespect, we can always agree to disagree.

My current data points

I think I saw one of Nathan Riddle's posts recently doing it. Not sure where on here, of course... I just seem to remember seeing it recently.

You are correct, I edited my post. It occurred on Chrome on my desktop computer. I'm not sure if I quoted someone or not so I'm uncertain if it was that mechanic of the forums.

I have seen it from someone else, but 99% of the time it's you Scott. I don't what you have set up on your computers, but it is really pretty rare for anyone else to have this problem. What are you doing to quote? I just hit the "Quote" button. No size changes, no font changes, no extra formatting. What skin are you using?

Mac

But anyways... [And hoping that the posts regarding technical support for the forum will get moved to a new thread...]
-Ray

I too find it quite strange. It mostly occurs on Scott's posts, but then it started on my computer too so I'm not sure where it is coming from or what the trigger is. If it occurs again I'll grab the source code and post it up (in the basement or something).

I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2017, 11:47:52 PM »

GASP! You CAUGHT IT! lolz.

So ya gonna move here to Portland, then, so I can hire ya?!?
Kelcema Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2017, 11:47:52 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 26   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.