ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 12Inch or 15Inch Speakers?  (Read 18575 times)

Mark Tansey

12Inch or 15Inch Speakers?
« on: September 08, 2016, 01:11:45 PM »

Hey Guys, New to the forum so help would be a massive help.
Have been looking at new speakers and I have came down to Mackie SRM 650(15") and Mackie SRM 550(12"), Both are powered speakers and they are both 1600W peak and 800W rms, what's the reccomendations?
Thanks in advance!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: 12Inch or 15Inch Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 02:30:08 PM »

Would you kindly,

Fix your name as per the rules found [which you accepted] when you created your account and then stickied at the top of every sub forum.

We cannot help until you do so.

Rules: Read them please.
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,110.0.html
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Mark Tansey

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 03:23:17 PM »

Would you kindly,

Fix your name as per the rules found [which you accepted] when you created your account and then stickied at the top of every sub forum.

We cannot help until you do so.

Rules: Read them please.
http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,110.0.html
Well I'm sorry, but I wasn't aware.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 03:29:23 PM »

Have been looking at new speakers and I have came down to Mackie SRM 650(15") and Mackie SRM 550(12"), Both are powered speakers and they are both 1600W peak and 800W rms, what's the reccomendations?
Thanks in advance!

Which one sounds better to you?
How do you plan to use them? Live music?  DJ?  Bar bands? Corporate talking heads events?
How large of an area do you need to fill with sound and how loud?
Are you using subs?
Look around and compare with other brands like JBL, Yamaha, and EV and demo if possible.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 04:07:06 PM »

Well I'm sorry, but I wasn't aware.

You weren't aware because you didn't pay attention during the sign up process nor when you posted your first message.  There are warnings everywhere.

It's not just the point of using your real name (though that is important for accountability) if you can't follow directions in such a simple process are your going to take the time to understand the direction, tutelage and advice offered here?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 04:41:34 PM »

Thanks in advance!

Hey

The general recommendations are usually that 15" cones are better if you'll be using the speakers on their own, you get a little more bass extension. The 12" will be better if you're using them with a sub, you don't need the same bass extension and you'll get a better vocal/midrange sound.

However as said it's rarely as simple as that and a better description of how you plan to use them would help us to give you a more detailed answer.

And can I ask, how did you arrive at your decision of Mackie, and did you compare them to others? While in terms of numbers on the spec sheet they may sound a little more impressive than others with a slightly bigger sounding amplifier built in, there is no guarentee that this actually translates to louder or better sound.

There are very good models from Yamaha particuluarly (the DSR range are usually considered best in the price range for a 2-way box on stick) and also EV, JBL etc and as said it would be worth actually listening and comparing if you could before making a final decision.

Kev

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 04:44:01 PM »

More information on what you need to use the loudspeakers for is needed.  If you are DJing or using these with a full band with no subs (or no plans for subs), you will probably want the a 15" system just for the slightly extended/and or more powerful bass.  If it's for an acoustic act with vocals and no bass or drums, I think 12's almost always sound better.  If you plan on adding subs very soon, again I would lean to the 12's.

I'm not trying to fault a particular brand, but I really don't like 12" and (especially) 15" two- way speakers that have the cross-over frequency at (or very near) 3Kz.  I know that is done to "protect" the very small HF drivers, but the critical vocal range suffers . . . a lot.

There are a lot of reasonably good loudspeakers in this price range.  Follow Corey's advise and listen to as many choices as possible, and listen in a manner that replicates how you will be using them as best possible.  A EDM recording demoed at 115db might make one speaker sound better than another speaker that could be much better for a vocal duo.  Also be skeptical of how things are demoed.  An unscrupulous sales person can "make" a lesser quality speaker (house brand?) sound better that a higher quality product by changing EQ and other settings on self powered speakers just to push a higher profit model at you.  In almost any demo, the loudspeaker that is just slightly louder (maybe not even perceptibly) will sound "better".  That's an old HI shop trick.  Not every sale person is out to screw you, but keep your guard up and listen very carefully.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 04:51:57 PM »

for my living room 15" but only with a sealed box so you don't get that low bass ported cabinet bump and funnies.  Or not.  ;D

JR

PS welcome, DJs don't get much love here..
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mark Tansey

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 04:56:43 PM »

Sorry guys, I'm a dj. The crowds vary as I'm sure ye know and also does the size of the venue I could be in a small bar to a hall that holds 450 People. I don't use subs. The reason I landed at Mackie was because of the wattage. Some of ye more experienced lads or ladies might hopefullu be able to point me in the right direction of make etc.
Thanks.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 05:49:48 PM »

Sorry guys, I'm a dj. The crowds vary as I'm sure ye know and also does the size of the venue I could be in a small bar to a hall that holds 450 People. I don't use subs. The reason I landed at Mackie was because of the wattage. Some of ye more experienced lads or ladies might hopefullu be able to point me in the right direction of make etc.
Thanks.

The SRM650's are rated at 800w with 2x 400w amps. One amp driving LF and the other to HF. So the rating would be more like 500w max as the HF driver couldn't handle 400w - maybe 100w. SPL rated at 133db max - the true measurement of volume.
I used to own a couple of Yamaha DXR15's which were amazing for the money and had great low frequency response. rated at 700w BUT 600w sent to LF and 100w to HF which is more realistic - also rated at 133db.
I have only heard the SRM450 and SRM550 and didn't like them very much - too honky and muffled. For the extra $100 for the DXR15, I'd wager the Yammies would blow the Mackies away in terms of quality, sound and power.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 05:49:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 1.169 seconds with 25 queries.