ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple iPhone going to eliminate the 1/8" headphone jack  (Read 28383 times)

Aaron Maurer

Apple iPhone going to eliminate the 1/8" headphone jack
« on: September 07, 2016, 06:03:05 AM »

Hum not a real fuzzy feeling as my phone is my go to for music pre, post, and after sets at a gig.

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/09/06/492876197/apple-may-test-iphone-users-loyalty-if-it-dumps-the-headphone-jack

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Apple iPhone going to eliminate the 1/8" headphone jack
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 08:36:40 AM »

I'm as disappointed as you are, and I really really hope the rumors are wrong. My phone is often my test audio generator. Yes, there will be adaptors, but no, I'm not going to carry on in my pocket.

I also don't look forward to the first time I tell someone important that "No, I cannot play anything off your phone through the PA."
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 08:41:48 AM »

Get rid of all jacks and do inductive charging.  Then the phone can be waterproof.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 08:47:02 AM »

Radial better get ready for all the Bluetooth interfaces I am going to have to sell to my customer now. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 09:08:56 AM »

The rumors also include a lighting to 1/8" headphone adapter. Just add it to your kit and you're good to go.

Audio professionals won't be affected nearly as badly as the consumer who just wants to plug in their headphones at the gym or on a plane. Or who want to impromptu plug their phone into a friends stereo, car, etc.

This whole thing is going to be a major PITA, but apple probably has enough of a market share that eventually the market will be flooded with compatible headphones, cables, etc.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 12:18:51 PM »

The rumors also include a lighting to 1/8" headphone adapter. Just add it to your kit and you're good to go.

Audio professionals won't be affected nearly as badly as the consumer who just wants to plug in their headphones at the gym or on a plane. Or who want to impromptu plug their phone into a friends stereo, car, etc.

This whole thing is going to be a major PITA, but apple probably has enough of a market share that eventually the market will be flooded with compatible headphones, cables, etc.

I expect Beats headphones will have an advantage somehow, eventually.  Of course Apple bought Beats for the music part of it, but plenty of people pay far too much for those lousy headphones.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 12:25:25 PM »

I expect Beats headphones will have an advantage somehow, eventually.  Of course Apple bought Beats for the music part of it, but plenty of people pay far too much for those lousy headphones.

Is lousy a polite euphemism for shitty?  Beats makes my Sony phones seems good in comparison.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 12:56:46 PM »

Interestingly enough, all of these same types of comments were abound when Apple released the iMac in 1998. "OMG WHAT? A computer without a FLOPPY DRIVE?!? HOW CANZ YOU LIVE?!?" They decided on a course of action that was, to be candid, very different then what other computer manufacturers were doing, and people got over it.

So, same deal here- if they really decide to introduce a new phone without a headphone jack, yeah, people are going to have to find new ways to get the audio off of their phone, but at the same time it's not like we're all throwing away our current iProduct just because New & Shiny was introduced.

I'm as disappointed as you are, and I really really hope the rumors are wrong. My phone is often my test audio generator. Yes, there will be adaptors, but no, I'm not going to carry on in my pocket.

I also don't look forward to the first time I tell someone important that "No, I cannot play anything off your phone through the PA."
I wouldn't have an adapter in my pocket, but you can bet I'll have appropriate adapters in our workboxes. We Deliver Results, Not Excuses.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 01:00:13 PM »

Hey, don't you go dissin' my venerable Sony 7506s now.

Is lousy a polite euphemism for shitty?  Beats makes my Sony phones seems good in comparison.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 01:39:23 PM »

Reminds me of the time Microsoft introduced Windows Me and people complained that their 16-bit apps and drivers no longer worked (despite Windows having supported 32-bit for over 10 years -- yes, even under 3.1 -- already).

Yes, headphones and earbuds with 1/8" connectors are ubiquitous. They've been around a LOOOOONG time. It's a supremely convenient interface. But it also places some limits on the ability to construct phones: in the super-compact world of mobile devices, aside from the screen and battery, the headphone jack is the largest component in the device. I think Apple is looking at designs that just aren't possible if they have to include a headphone jack.

Think of the Apple Watch. They're going to turn it into a full-fledged phone. Rather than linkng to your iPhone, it will be your iPhone. On your wrist. And there's no room to put a 1/8" jack there. Or maybe they are working on a super-thin flexible device. A 1/4" plug is not flexible.

Look at the market: it wants to be wireless-everything. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to want to eliminate less than 3 feet of wire, but that's what the market wants. I'll admit, I use a wireless mouse. I hate mice with wires. (I hate touchpads on laptops even more, but that's a different rant.) I can see where the next generation of consumers will want wireless earbuds. No wires to tangle.

There's another angle to this too: device maintenance. That headphone jack is an open sewer to collect all manner of garbage. If debris gets in there, it can cause the phone to assume that a headphone is always plugged in. It happened to my wife's phone; she has to turn it on speakerphone to use it. The hold-it-up-to-your-ear method doesn't work. It's extremely difficult to clean out. Without the headphone jack, a common support nuisance goes away.

I can see why the rumor might be true. For mobile devices, the headphone jack can be a royal pain in the output port.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 01:39:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.