ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ian Paice gets a bit testy at show  (Read 6191 times)

Aaron Maurer

Ian Paice gets a bit testy at show
« on: September 04, 2016, 09:01:55 AM »

Bump to 1:30 if your pressed for time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vTy63korjPo

Jeff Bankston

Re: Ian Paice gets a bit testy at show
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 05:07:48 PM »

It sounded like a loud hum in the PA or monitors. Pacey was yelling at them to turn off the F'n music. Thats also the best way to hold the drums sticks.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 05:59:50 PM »

Bump to 1:30 if your pressed for time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vTy63korjPo

Sounds like monitor feedback.  My guess is it was from a non-drum mic (percussion maybe?) in his mix.  The ME was probably muting the drum mics and problem wasn't going away.

It was good to see Paice just say "screw it all" and continue his solo.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Darin Ulmer

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 07:44:56 PM »

or something in his monitor mix that had come partially unplugged and was generating the buzz.  Being that it was during a solo maybe a guitar or bass change out that wasn't muted.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 08:24:14 PM »

Sounds like monitor feedback.  My guess is it was from a non-drum mic (percussion maybe?) in his mix.  The ME was probably muting the drum mics and problem wasn't going away.

It was good to see Paice just say "screw it all" and continue his solo.

I agree. Too many open mics on stage. I have to wonder why the BE couldn't spot the channel causing the problem??
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 12:54:25 AM »

I agree. Too many open mics on stage. I have to wonder why the BE couldn't spot the channel causing the problem??
On my usual corner stage, I have had sympathetic vibrations between a bass amp and floor tom that was clearly audible on stage but not at FOH.

It seems to most likely happen when the bass amp and floor tom are on the same side and I am not running a wedge.

Since the loop is not actually in a mic you can't break it by muting anything, nor does it get past the gates into the mains.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 01:00:45 PM »

Thats also the best way to hold the drums sticks.
Didn't Paice used to play trad grip?  Either way, amazing hands.  A lot of rock drummers back in the day didn't appreciate how folks like Paice and Carl Palmer had substantial jazz chops and didn't bash with their arms.  You can tell from the double stroke ghost notes Ian plays with his right (off) hand that there's decades of rudiment practice in there.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 04:08:18 PM »

Didn't Paice used to play trad grip?  Either way, amazing hands.  A lot of rock drummers back in the day didn't appreciate how folks like Paice and Carl Palmer had substantial jazz chops and didn't bash with their arms.  You can tell from the double stroke ghost notes Ian plays with his right (off) hand that there's decades of rudiment practice in there.
All the pictures I saw in magazines of Pacey from the early 70's and early 70's concert videos all the way up to Caljam74 show him playing matched grip.

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 08:30:28 PM »

Although the solo is a bit dull he still has amazing technique/grip and Stephen your comment with players that are all arms "bashers" is correct and in my opinion you have no control or dynamics if your a basher. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 10:23:33 PM by Aaron Maurer »

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 11:02:12 PM »

Sounded to me like he was mad about that buzz. Too which even if the monitor was off, it may not have helped much given that it sounds like a guitar / bass amp buzz? Looks like a small stage, so I could only imagine how loud things must have been to get everyone in there. Notice at the end of the clip that the buzz is gone. If the amps are on and no one is home......BUZZZZZZ it will be.

Not that the solo was all that interesting. The buzz was added flavor.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 11:02:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.