ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Some questions about these vocal condensers  (Read 5924 times)

Richard Penrose

Some questions about these vocal condensers
« on: August 30, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »

Hi,

I'm interested in upgrading some of my mics and I have a few vocal condensers on my shortlist which are :-

Shure KSM9
Neumann KMS104
Audio Technica AE5400
Shure Beta 87a

Does anyone know how these mics compare regarding handling noise, pop rejection, pick pattern and feedback rejection?
At the moment my vocal condensers for live work are Audio Technica ATM710's and these have really impressed me. They have extremely low handling noise, reject pops well and I have had zero issues regarding feedback in band settings with wedges! However, impressive as they are considering their price I find the high's sound a little grainy and I've not been able to EQ this out. This is definitely a characteristic on the mic as I've used it with 4 completely different PA's from budget Alto to KV2 Audio. I also hear the same characteristic on my Beyer DT880 Pro headphones.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Some questions about these vocal condensers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 06:48:15 PM »

I'd add Sennheiser E965 to the list.  The B87a can easily sound thin/harsh, the rest with some EQ sound nice.  For most voices, I currently like the 965.  The 5400 doesn't have quite as much "air". 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 07:52:06 PM »

The KSM9 is a great mic. Closest I've heard heard to a large studio condenser in a live mic other than a Neumann.
Worked great for a few years with the cast we had but I'm really having to eq it in the monitors to work with the rock bands we have coming through here now.
I'd highly recommend it if you don't have obscene monitor levels.

I also have Beta 87Cs and they sound very good. Still have to use a lot of eq for monitors. Better on the budget but the KSM9 is on a different level.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 07:55:07 PM »

I'd also consider the Shure SM86. I always preferred it over its Beta cousin.

EDIT: Forgot to actually give you anything more than "I like it..."

It seemed to be a bit more forgiving with monitor placement being cardioid. Sounds decently flat out the gate with a nice high end presence that isn't too harsh. Definitely sounds best when close to the source, but doesn't get too weird as it moves away, although the level does drop off pretty quickly.

Can't say I have much experience with the others mentioned, but the SM86 was pretty great for my purpose and budget.

EDIT 2: Ooh! Just remembered a gal I've worked with a few times who was "sponsored" by AT so she always carried an AT wireless system with a bedazzled 5400 handheld. I always loved the way it sounded on her voice--kind of a Carrie Underwood esque pop country thing. I'd pretty much gain up, high pass and let it do its thing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:02:07 PM by Steven Eudaly »

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 09:21:39 PM »

A lot of people don't like the 87a....   But we do...  It's our standard condenser wireless capsule...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 12:53:08 AM »

I would add the Audix VX-5 to that list.  It is the front line vox mic in my band.  I personally love it.  It has a similar clarity to the 105 but - way superior feedback rejection.

You have to stay on axis with it. It is hyper cardioid...  But on axis you can get way back, or sing softly right up on it.  For under $250 - it kills...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 12:56:51 AM »

You have a good budget, but if your interested in something a little less expensive, I would consider the Audio Technica AT2010. It is about $100 and I like it a lot. Not the smoothest and best sounding mic you can get by any means, but beats the heck out of an SM58. It has about the same feedback rejection as an SM58 too.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Roland Clarke

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 03:17:54 AM »

Sennheiser e865 is as good a budget condensor as any (imho), but the ksm 9 and the 104 are a step up, but then have less rejection.  Depending on the artist/artists you have coming through and the material they play all factor.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 03:22:31 AM »

Another vote for the Shure SM-86.  It sounds good, the proximity effect isn't as "humpy" as a 58, the presence peak is higher (around 8kHz, IIRC), broader and shallower.  I think that's the "air" some people talk about with this mic.

I work with a couple of artists that have KSM-9 or KMS-105.  They're not exactly interchangeable but both are worthy mics if you don't have a big bunch of stage wash.  I can't say I have a preference for either model.

Sorry, Cailen, I still don't like the 87a.  ;)  But hey, if it works for you and your clients...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Chiara

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 07:59:51 AM »

Another vote for the Shure SM-86.  It sounds good, the proximity effect isn't as "humpy" as a 58, the presence peak is higher (around 8kHz, IIRC), broader and shallower.  I think that's the "air" some people talk about with this mic.

I work with a couple of artists that have KSM-9 or KMS-105.  They're not exactly interchangeable but both are worthy mics if you don't have a big bunch of stage wash.  I can't say I have a preference for either model.

Sorry, Cailen, I still don't like the 87a.  ;)  But hey, if it works for you and your clients...

I have been trying mics with a bunch of singers...Heil PR35, Telefunken M80...etc. the SM86 is consistently my favorite...including on my own voice. It just seems to cover all bases without exaggerating anything too much. Very natural. My other 58 replacement has been the EV PL84. Pretty smooth off axis and sounds great on horns as well. The were a 'Stupid Deal' thing...bought 13 at $27 apiece.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 07:59:51 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 26 queries.