ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DHCP or STATIC?  (Read 22198 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: DHCP or STATIC?
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 03:19:09 PM »

OK. So when I had the iPad set to DHCP, it took quite some time to connect to the network.
When I set the iPad to a static IP it connects quite fast.
Now I just have to get to the consoles to try everything out. (in another city)
Thanks for the help. I'm sure there will be more questions later.
 :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 03:47:13 PM »

Last night my reliable Apple wirleless enabled router wouldn't connect to an X32 that I had used the previous week.

Just so you're aware, I've read and heard of several people who have had significant trouble using Apple Wi-Fi products for tablet-console network connections. I can't seem to find anything official on the subject, but an Internet search for "Behringer X32 Airport" turns up an unnerving number of hits from people who are having trouble making that combination of equipment work. For what it's worth, a local friend of mine who recently purchased an X32 Rack and tried to use it with an Airport-type router (I forget which one) had exactly the same connection reliability problems.

I've always assumed (although, as someone who has never owned an Apple-made product, I can't verify this) that Airport products are designed in such a way that they get very cranky when they don't have Internet access. This is about the only thing I can think of that would explain why an otherwise-reliable piece of networking gear suddenly starts hiccuping badly when used in a live sound context.

Regardless of the cause, though, it sounds as though a lot of people have solved this problem by switching to a non-Apple router from a reputable networking manufacturer (my preferred flavour of the month is Ubiquiti Networks, although both my X32 and X32 Rack are running very happily with older D-Link units).

-Russ

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »

Ymmv with different routers. As I mentioned, Linksys have been very good for me. ASUS failed, and DLink has never been reliable for me.
I also use DD-WRT firmware on the linksys which probably helps too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 04:02:34 PM »

Ymmv with different routers. As I mentioned, Linksys have been very good for me. ASUS failed, and DLink has never been reliable for me.
I also use DD-WRT firmware on the linksys which probably helps too.

+1 for YMMV. I've owned or worked with poor-performing Wi-Fi products from basically every major manufacturer (except, so far, Ubiquiti). I've had D-Link go both ways, I've had Linksys go both ways; never met an ASUS I really liked. At some level, discussing router manufacturers is an exercise in futility unless model numbers (and even model revision numbers) are included in the conversation.

-Russ

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 04:27:02 PM »

Just so you're aware, I've read and heard of several people who have had significant trouble using Apple Wi-Fi products for tablet-console network connections. I can't seem to find anything official on the subject, but an Internet search for "Behringer X32 Airport" turns up an unnerving number of hits from people who are having trouble making that combination of equipment work. For what it's worth, a local friend of mine who recently purchased an X32 Rack and tried to use it with an Airport-type router (I forget which one) had exactly the same connection reliability problems.

I've always assumed (although, as someone who has never owned an Apple-made product, I can't verify this) that Airport products are designed in such a way that they get very cranky when they don't have Internet access. This is about the only thing I can think of that would explain why an otherwise-reliable piece of networking gear suddenly starts hiccuping badly when used in a live sound context.

Regardless of the cause, though, it sounds as though a lot of people have solved this problem by switching to a non-Apple router from a reputable networking manufacturer (my preferred flavour of the month is Ubiquiti Networks, although both my X32 and X32 Rack are running very happily with older D-Link units).

-Russ

It's been a while but one thing that used to mess up the tour wifi was people's Mac's that would default to try and be be in charge of the network and start resetting things. There is a way to turn this off in the control panel settings but memory fails me.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »

-Russ

I've yet to meet an Apple product that didn't want to "phone home" every time it was turned on.  Ipad, iphone, I-fucking-anything...  Same with Airport, if it doesn't find apple.com it has unhappiness.

I realize that for some folks the Airport turned out to be the only thing that worked and for others, was the thing that didn't work no matter what options, procedures or Voodoo rituals were applied.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 04:47:26 PM »

So I have the router  with an IP address of 192.168.0.98 set to DHCP only and a DHCP range 192.168.0.2-22 and those addresses will be handed out to equipment that is set to DHCP and wants an IP addy. All good so far.
Now I want to connect to an M7 console (or some other console with no DHCP capability)and set the console IP to a value outside of the DHCP range but still in the 192.168.0 group...say 192.168.0.128.
Will the console connect to the router even with the router set to DHCP?
Will I then have the iPad set to DHCP and it will get an address when I connect to the wireless network I have created on the router?

Generally you don't set a router to DHCP.
You often set the port connecting to the wan (Internet) to be DHCP so it gets an address from your ISP.

You would set the mixer to your chosen address and the gateway to 192.168.0.98

What ports on your "router" are you connecting to? Which router are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 05:05:38 PM »

As I have posted before, I use Netgear WNDR 3700 units. I have 4. I never have any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John L Nobile

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 06:19:15 PM »

We've been replacing every dlink product we have at work. Always failing on us. Have had good results with Linksys, Netgear and ubiquity.
I run 2 networks for the show. FOH is on a Linksys while monitor board and processor is on a very old Netgear. The room also has 4 Aruba access points in it with another 8 in range. Been working very well for me.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 08:24:23 PM »

At some level, discussing router manufacturers is an exercise in futility unless model numbers (and even model revision numbers) are included in the conversation.

-Russ
WRT54GS w/DD-WRT Firmware
Ubiquiti nanostation M5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 08:24:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.