ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Focal JM Labs Educational Tracks  (Read 4118 times)

Al Rettich

Focal JM Labs Educational Tracks
« on: August 27, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »

Hey everyone, wondering if you could help me. I was doing a show recently, and the FOH engineer had tracks that were from Focal JM Labs. It was many tracks. It had your normal pink noise, in and out of phase, but it also had uncompressed drum tracks, it had bass tracks. It was really helpful to hear him use these tracks to get the PA where he wanted it. So I've been searching the internet the past three hours looking. I found one spot to download 44 tracks of the normal in/out phase, pink noise, etc... I'm looking for the compressed drums, bass track parts.

Hoping you might know of a area where I can download the rest of these files.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Focal JM Labs Educational Tracks
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »

Hey everyone, wondering if you could help me. I was doing a show recently, and the FOH engineer had tracks that were from Focal JM Labs. It was many tracks. It had your normal pink noise, in and out of phase, but it also had uncompressed drum tracks, it had bass tracks. It was really helpful to hear him use these tracks to get the PA where he wanted it. So I've been searching the internet the past three hours looking. I found one spot to download 44 tracks of the normal in/out phase, pink noise, etc... I'm looking for the compressed drums, bass track parts.

I'm guessing that "Focal" is Focal Press, publisher of lots of technical books and the CD came with something they published.  The clue is probably in the JM, guessing (again) those are initials of the author.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 07:49:19 PM »

Forgot that there was a version 2.  Still have version one on my hard drive as aif files and the CD squirreled away on the shelf. Suckers are STARTING on Ebay at $100.  Might have to put my copy up for sale at those prices. Seessshh.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000028DN2/

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 08:10:25 PM »

I wonder what "out of phase" (actually POLARITY I am sure) sounds like on a mono system?

Or was it a stereo track? What would be the purpose of it?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 09:39:13 PM »

I'm guessing that "Focal" is Focal Press, publisher of lots of technical books and the CD came with something they published.  The clue is probably in the JM, guessing (again) those are initials of the author.
JM Labs is the consumer brand of hi-fi speakers from the French Focal driver manufacturer.  Focal also sells studio monitors under their own name.  I would assume that these are set up/demo tracks used by their dealers and installers.  JM Labs makes some very large and expensive systems which are also used in mastering rooms along with well heeled audiophiles.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 09:57:33 PM »

JM Labs is the consumer brand of hi-fi speakers from the French Focal driver manufacturer.  Focal also sells studio monitors under their own name.  I would assume that these are set up/demo tracks used by their dealers and installers.  JM Labs makes some very large and expensive systems which are also used in mastering rooms along with well heeled audiophiles.

So much for speculation and showing my ignorance of high-end recording monitors.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Nikhil Mulay

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 02:38:46 AM »

Named after the owner and founder Jaque Mahul.. I think they've retired the JM Lab name now with the consumer products also being sold under the Focal brand.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 08:35:13 AM »

Bink's is still available...

http://www.livesoundint.com/lab/lab/messages/archive5/41723.html

Download:

fullcd.zip  and  *.doc or *.txt files
Be patient, the .zip will load.

Be sure to READ the "Using the Bink Audio Test CD" text. As noted in the text, there are some tones that can destroy drivers; notably tracks 54-55! 

After reading the text, you may want to rename the .WAV files.
Example  rename:  "trk06" to "trk06 - Log Sweep - 20 to 20khz"

-Dennis
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:05:00 AM by Dennis Wiggins »

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 04:11:26 PM »

Named after the owner and founder Jaque Mahul.. I think they've retired the JM Lab name now with the consumer products also being sold under the Focal brand.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bink's is still available...

http://www.livesoundint.com/lab/lab/messages/archive5/41723.html

Download:

fullcd.zip  and  *.doc or *.txt files
Be patient, the .zip will load.

Be sure to READ the "Using the Bink Audio Test CD" text. As noted in the text, there are some tones that can destroy drivers; notably tracks 54-55! 

After reading the text, you may want to rename the .WAV files.
Example  rename:  "trk06" to "trk06 - Log Sweep - 20 to 20khz"

-Dennis
That's what I have. I was trying to remember where I got it from.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 10:50:30 AM »

There's also Alan Parsons' and Stephen Court's Sound Check 2 CD (https://www.sound-ideas.com/Product/604/Sound-Check-2), which includes testing tracks as well as very flat and dry vocal and instrument tracks, and some great sound effects (submachine gun, Chieftan tank main gun, thunderstorm, steam train and F-16 and Tornado jets.

Riley's right: at the current price I should put my CD up for sale.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 10:50:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 26 queries.