ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Bell Curve  (Read 12018 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: The Bell Curve
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 08:17:05 PM »

This is where I did not want this go to go, it's not politics though, it's sociology.  We have a serious science and math educational issue IMHO.  High school graduates can't make change.  The way math is taught now there even algebra and calc are taught in a fashion that doesn't support intellectual growth. 

History is out the window too it seems.

However, there are awesome kids today.  I get the privilege of being the tech adviser to our communities Science Fair team.  That is going to be fun.  One of my Dr's got me involved in the program.
Huh?..

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 08:29:44 PM »

This is where I did not want this go to go, it's not politics though, it's sociology.  We have a serious science and math educational issue IMHO.  High school graduates can't make change.  The way math is taught now there even algebra and calc are taught in a fashion that doesn't support intellectual growth. 

History is out the window too it seems.

However, there are awesome kids today.  I get the privilege of being the tech adviser to our communities Science Fair team.  That is going to be fun.  One of my Dr's got me involved in the program.

I'll go out on the limb and see if Mac or Fowler prunes it...

I was a performing arts education major...  secondary school teaching music - general music, chorus, theory, history; speech - theater, debate & forensics, etc.  In the process of completing that degree I discovered that *I* was going to have problem with the way education was administered on behalf of 2 constituencies - parents with very specific ideas about education and parents without a clue.  The one group that was seldom correctly considered?  The students.  The only thing I'm sure of today is that nothing has gotten better from a political (school board) standpoint.

There are now almost 2 generations of students better off because I didn't become a teacher. ;)

To those dedicated classroom instructors, thank you for doing what most of us cannot.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »

I start year 25 at the high school tomorrow and year 17 at the college on Tuesday.

It really all comes down to what the student chooses to do.

And that is supported by the current meta-research that attributes a minimal effect size on teacher actions among all the commonly identified factors that affect student success.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 11:08:31 PM »

Huh?..

JR

That doesn't make sense?  I reread it.  Basically generalized then added many exceptions. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 09:45:10 AM »

That doesn't make sense?  I reread it.  Basically generalized then added many exceptions.

I *think* he was simulating the far left of the curve...

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 11:29:07 AM »

I *think* he was simulating the far left of the curve...

Tough crowd.

Let's try some basic ones:

1 - Should you be allowed to own a car and not know how to check the oil level?
2 - Is understanding that your TV and cable box are independent devices and can miss the IR command from a unified remote and get out of sync and event that requires sending a technician to sort out
3 - You may be on the left side if you use the wrong words and don't know the meaning of common (non-technical) words
4 - Counting back change from a till at a church event does not require a computational device of any type
5 - Remembering cardinal directions

and the most important one I always keep repeating to myself:

6 - Be kind to everyone, you never really know

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 12:06:28 PM »

Tough crowd.

Lets give some examples of the far left of the curve:

Oil level?  Isn't that what the red light is for?

2 - Is understanding that your TV and cable box are independent devices and can miss the IR command from a unified remote and get out of sync and event that requires sending a technician to sort out
Can I put the cable box in a metal cabinet?  How about another room. I got a closet upstairs.  It's ugly. Wow. Does it need washin?  If not, I got dishes in the sync.  Can they fix the flashing 12:00 on the VCR while they're out there?

3 - You may be on the left side if you use the wrong words and don't know the meaning of common (non-technical) words
Im offended at that comment two. I know how to utilitize the words and stuff.  So their!

4 - Counting back change from a till at a church event does not require a computational device of any type
Do toes count?

I learnt them in katholick school.  Don't kill your neighbor.  You may need his lawn moore someday.

Huh?  Know what?  What you mean I don't know. I is smart.  You makin fun at me?  Thats not nice.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »

RE: Cardinal directions
I learnt them in katholick school.

So it is evil to do the following.  Where is your house?  I am one block north of Redwood. Response:  Is that left or right Retort: Depends which way your are traveling.

My wife says it's totally evil.  How do I know they didn't turn around, go to the grocery for a pack of smokes?  Come on now.  We have this giant thing called a Great Lake at the top of town.  It's hard to miss.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 01:06:19 PM »

RE: Cardinal directions
So it is evil to do the following.  Where is your house?  I am one block north of Redwood. Response:  Is that left or right Retort: Depends which way your are traveling.

My wife says it's totally evil.  How do I know they didn't turn around, go to the grocery for a pack of smokes?  Come on now.  We have this giant thing called a Great Lake at the top of town.  It's hard to miss.

Does that mean you're at the bottom of the lake?
Steve Swaffer

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 01:29:52 PM »

Tough crowd.

Of course...  my check engine light has been on for over a year. I checked the engine and it looked OK.
2 - Is understanding that your TV and cable box are independent devices and can miss the IR command from a unified
remote and get out of sync and event that requires sending a technician to sort out
sounds like a first world problem.
Dunning-Kruger effect ?
You get change from church?
That sounds like fancy language for compass points.

except on the WWW    :D

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 01:29:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.