ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Bell Curve  (Read 12141 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
The Bell Curve
« on: August 26, 2016, 05:32:39 PM »

An article on the home page caught my eye so I jumped at the click bait hoping for some tips on how to deal with people with challenging personalities.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/church_sound_communicating_with_non-technical_parishioners/

It was decent, and a reminder that all folks in the tech sector can get stuck between technobabble or arrogance however I paused when arriving at this Perl of Wisdom:

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/church_sound_communicating_with_non-technical_parishioners/

50% of the population falls to the left of the Bell curve, some quite far.  The person that despite much counseling will not speak into the microphone.

I agree that technical aptitude is not a correlation to intelligence but half of the people you encounter are simply on the left side of the curve.  To not acknowledge this is BS.

How about a roommate I had in college, who when challenged by the label falling off the top of his gearshift taped a note to the dashboard with the shift pattern.  This fellow went on the breed.

So sorry, I hope it doesn't stray into political but sometimes things are complicated and some people just don't get it.  That's text book stupid.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Bankston

Re: The Bell Curve
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 10:50:17 PM »

My cowbell is flat. All the shifter handles and balls on my shifters say HURST and there aint no shift pattern. My drum sticks are not labeled left hand , right hand. If you turn a light switch upside down it reads "NO" and some people will not touch it. All my vehicles have manual windows. I gave a guy a ride once and he couldnt figure out how to roll the window down. I could go on with this.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 11:15:39 PM »

I prefer the Patti Labelle curve to The Bell Jar curve.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 03:37:36 AM »

Here is my uncurved bell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwIdXHPczFo

That was pretty bad !  :o
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 03:39:55 AM by Jeff Bankston »

Scott Slater

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2016, 07:16:07 AM »

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 07:21:51 AM by Scott Slater »

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 08:57:43 PM »

An article on the home page caught my eye so I jumped at the click bait hoping for some tips on how to deal with people with challenging personalities.

It was decent, and a reminder that all folks in the tech sector can get stuck between technobabble or arrogance however I paused when arriving at this Perl of Wisdom:

50% of the population falls to the left of the Bell curve, some quite far.  The person that despite much counseling will not speak into the microphone.

I agree that technical aptitude is not a correlation to intelligence but half of the people you encounter are simply on the left side of the curve.  To not acknowledge this is BS.

How about a roommate I had in college, who when challenged by the label falling off the top of his gearshift taped a note to the dashboard with the shift pattern.  This fellow went on the breed.

So sorry, I hope it doesn't stray into political but sometimes things are complicated and some people just don't get it.  That's text book stupid.

I guess the expectation is that the majority of people who voluntarily step up to a mic on a semi-regular basis should be on the right side of that curve, or at least be striving to get there

Jason

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 09:03:01 PM »

I always thought a bell curve wasn't about left or right, but the center, vs the lowly fringes...   8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 10:43:27 PM »

So did I -but you and I are thinking about the bell curve that is a key concept in physics.  Apparently, he is talking about the Bell Curve (caps are important).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Curve

Now his statement is understandable-though I'm not defending the accuracy of said statement.
Steve Swaffer

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 11:57:36 PM »

I was going to post a lengthy reply to Scott's statement about "50% of people are to the left of the bell curve", but I'll respectfully suggest that most of us can't correctly and reliably identify who in a large group falls to the left or right of the midpoint of a normal distribution. And most of the time, it doesn't matter much in day-to-day life.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 12:32:40 AM »

I prefer the Patti Labelle curve to The Bell Jar curve.

The Patti Labelle curve is way better than the BelL Biv DeVoe curve
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 12:32:40 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.