ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX735 Question  (Read 13901 times)

Rob Bernstein

JBL PRX735 Question
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »

Just picked a pair of PRX735's on close-out, and plan on running them on top of my PRX718xlf's for larger gigs.
I'm curious if anyone runs these alone (no sub) for gigs where a sub isn't needed, and if so, how do you raise the speakers above the crowd?
There are no pole cups on the 735's probably due to weight and liability issues.
Looking forward to using these at some point soon!

Bradford "BJ" James

Re: JBL PRX735 Question
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 09:58:31 AM »

Just picked a pair of PRX735's on close-out, and plan on running them on top of my PRX718xlf's for larger gigs.
I'm curious if anyone runs these alone (no sub) for gigs where a sub isn't needed, and if so, how do you raise the speakers above the crowd?
There are no pole cups on the 735's probably due to weight and liability issues.
On those gigs i would simply use stand mounted speakers.
Even in the configuation pictured, you would need another sub to get the top to a decent level. Otherwise, not a lot of choice- stack up roadcases, build some risers, use scaff, or simply set on the corner of the stage if it's high enough.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 10:06:57 AM »

On those gigs i would simply use stand mounted speakers.
Even in the configuation pictured, you would need another sub to get the top to a decent level. Otherwise, not a lot of choice- stack up roadcases, build some risers, use scaff, or simply set on the corner of the stage if it's high enough.

Thanks, all good suggestions. I'm thinking maybe I build a small riser to go between the sub and the top to lift it a foot or two.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 11:56:28 AM »

Thanks, all good suggestions. I'm thinking maybe I build a small riser to go between the sub and the top to lift it a foot or two.

And secure the whole stack with ratchet straps!  I use a similar stack only with SRX 835s over PRX718XLFs and there is a "whole lot of shakin' goin' on" and those speakers want to move around a lot.  Play it safe and strap those babies down!

Eric Leitschuck

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 12:02:30 PM »

First, excellent purchase!! The PRX 700 series are great speakers. The only drawback is their stack design. Placing them on top of the 718's place the compression drivers right at the ear piercing level....I always put my 718's on a custom 20" tall box that I built (which also stores cables and power strips)

{d_b}

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:32:42 PM »

First, excellent purchase!! The PRX 700 series are great speakers. The only drawback is their stack design. Placing them on top of the 718's place the compression drivers right at the ear piercing level....I always put my 718's on a custom 20" tall box that I built (which also stores cables and power strips)

Eric, would you post a shot of those boxes? Maybe I can borrow your design.
Thanks!

Pat Talbot

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »

And secure the whole stack with ratchet straps!  I use a similar stack only with SRX 835s over PRX718XLFs and there is a "whole lot of shakin' goin' on" and those speakers want to move around a lot.  Play it safe and strap those babies down!

Yes...ratchet straps are your friend(s).  I have to strap my SRX835P's to my SRX828SP's due to movement from vibration.  The 835s always try to walk off the 828s once the thumping starts.

Christian Kansichi

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 08:36:45 AM »

I'm looking into getting the prx835w. Though I am not interested in the wireless capabilities. I noticed that the prx835 has an extra 2db max spl over the 735. Will this translate to a louder system in the real world? Or should I just get the 735?

Sent from my D5322 using Tapatalk

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 02:17:30 PM »

I'm looking into getting the prx835w. Though I am not interested in the wireless capabilities. I noticed that the prx835 has an extra 2db max spl over the 735. Will this translate to a louder system in the real world? Or should I just get the 735?

Sent from my D5322 using Tapatalk

IMO, in the real world clarity, coverage and ease of deployment is my main concern. For small rigs and gigs I always prefer a lightweight, pole mountable top.

http://youtu.be/YgnIDPkXCJw

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 01:16:16 AM »

In the past folks have advocated for the small homeowners painting scaffolds that are something like 4' to the top shelf.  Again, you'd want to strap the cabinet down.  Those scaffolds are around $100 each.  I've seen some posts where people have painted them black and put drape around them.  A sub or some weight on the bottom shelf will help keep things stable.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 01:16:16 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 26 queries.