ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Line Array - HELP  (Read 6978 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Line Array - HELP
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 03:02:05 PM »

Dave - thank you for your reply, and for pointing out my cool icons. Lmfao.
Alternatively, you can add "[nobbc]" and "[/nobbc]" to your post and it'll prevent the (8) from turning into (8). Just surround the "(8)" with those tags.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 03:04:59 PM »

Are you saying that these SLS T28R speakers are not meant to be stacked in "typical" line array form?? (IE: "flown" in a J-shape, or similar. I know every venue and system requires a different installation, Im speaking in general terms where each "array" speaker is stacked horizontally)

I will let Dave answer for himself, but, yes, those are not line array cabs.  While they can be flown, they do not have the desired characteristics one would expect in a line array cabinet.  Also keep in mind that these cabs are not particularly loud.

You can find the manuals and crossover settings here:

http://slsaudio.com/SLS%20Audio%20T28R%20and%20T28R-I%20Passive%20Two%20Way%20Systems.htm

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 03:22:16 PM »

I have used the SLS 8800 series of line array boxes and still would not use 3 or 4 per side for EDM.
These T28....not so much. Great front fill cabs :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 03:31:57 PM »

I will let Dave answer for himself, but, yes, those are not line array cabs.  While they can be flown, they do not have the desired characteristics one would expect in a line array cabinet.  Also keep in mind that these cabs are not particularly loud.

You can find the manuals and crossover settings here:

http://slsaudio.com/SLS%20Audio%20T28R%20and%20T28R-I%20Passive%20Two%20Way%20Systems.htm
Those cabinets were intended to be used in Singles-NOT multiples.

Because of the wide coverage patterns, there will be lots of interference when you use more than 1 per side.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 03:36:49 PM »

Because of the wide coverage patterns, there will be lots of interference when you use more than 1 per side.
Quite true and that's what makes them so suitable for front fill cabs. Rotate the horn and go.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 05:44:58 PM »

Quite true and that's what makes them so suitable for front fill cabs. Rotate the horn and go.
In the line drawing on the 2nd page: http://slsaudio.com/T28R%20Data%20Sheet%20Rev%20805.pdf
the HF appears rectangular, not square.  But, the 1st page does say it's rotatable, so that'd be the way to go.

@Eric - others have answered your question in my absence.  If you rotate the tweeters, they'll have a 30 degree dispersion across the narrow dimension.  Still much wider than a true Line Array, but less overlap than in the 100 degree orientation.

Set up the Driverack as a 2 way system.  High Pass the Subs around 30Hz and Low Pass them around 100Hz.  High Pass the tops at 100Hz and Low Pass them around 18kHz, so you don't fry the ribbons with signals only bats can hear.

There's LOTS more to a proper setup than this, but that should get you started.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 07:08:41 PM »

Dave - thank you for your reply, and for pointing out my cool icons. Lmfao.

Are you saying that these SLS T28R speakers are not meant to be stacked in "typical" line array form?? (IE: "flown" in a J-shape, or similar. I know every venue and system requires a different installation, Im speaking in general terms where each "array" speaker is stacked horizontally)

The application we are using these in is very unique. It is an outdoor event, on top of a houseboat for (4) days. My plan is to place 3 speakers on either side of the boat which will place them approx. 16' apart. The will be mounted on custom steel brackets I made on top of a single length of speedrail placing the bottom of the bottom speaker @ 80" from the deck. The subs will be clustered in the center, Ive got nowhere else to put them.

I picked up a Driverack PA+ for sake of budget (its about all i can afford at the moment), and for ease of use. Again, I am trying to focus on this event only, and after this is done, I will be "doing it the right way", and slowly collecting model specific electronics.

You went through all that trouble did you happen to read the manual?

http://slsaudio.com/T28R%20Data%20Sheet%20Rev%20805.pdf

No they are not line array elements as you think of them.  No rigging system to set the splay angle between the boxes.  Also look at the pattern.  30 degrees vertical and 110 horizontal. 

From the vendor web page:

• Portable PA for acoustic acts
  • Installation spot fills ]
  • The ultimate in permanent PA for lower SPL requirements
It's hard to turn a screw with a hammer and you have the wrong tool.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:21:37 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »

If you read the product description on the manufacturer's website they are described as small fill speakers. There is no mention of being able to array them in any configuration at all.

Mac

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 12:01:34 AM »

The main point is that there is no way to rig these as a line array.  While SLS does make line arrays, these aren't those.  So even if you tried rotating the horn and splaying 2-3 of them at 30 degrees like some VRX deployment, they don't safely rig up that way.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 07:39:30 AM »

The main point is that there is no way to rig these as a line array.  While SLS does make line arrays, these aren't those.  So even if you tried rotating the horn and splaying 2-3 of them at 30 degrees like some VRX deployment, they don't safely rig up that way.
But since he has 24 of them, I "suspect" somebody was stacking them so they looked like a line array-therefore they "though" they had a line array.

Yet not understanding any of the basic concepts of a line array.

We see it all the time.  People simply put up speakers and "expect" them to work a certain way-and yes they make a noise-just not a good or accurate noise.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 07:39:30 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.