ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Proper use of loading ramp  (Read 9891 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Proper use of loading ramp
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 09:06:37 AM »

Hi Scott,

I recently got a folding ramp from PVI (Prairie View Industries), which is kind of a POS but that's another story. It came with two flat-headed pins that you're supposed to drop through holes in the top lip of the ramp and into holes you have drilled in the threshold of the vehicle.

I've also secured ramps by using a ratchet strap between the approximate midpoint of the underside of the ramp and the bumper of the vehicle. That probably won't work in your case with that ramp and the side door.

That's a nice looking ramp you have. What brand is it? And I'm all ears for solutions to this problem.

Best,

--Frank
I have the 8' PVI ramp and haven't had any problems - either with the ramp moving, or with it sucking.  The ramp stays put when I'm pushing cases up it, and when unloading, I back down the ramp so my body weight holds the ramp down.

What's wrong with your PVI ramp, Frank?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 09:47:05 AM »

I am headed out try again.  Will try putting hinge on inside and reportingu

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Pat Talbot

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 09:48:40 AM »

I have also only used ramps on a box truck where my main concern was to have enough ass and speed to get the case up the ramp and in the truck.  With my 6 foot 3 height I will end up having to duck or stop short fast.

Maybe a winch/pulley mounted up in the van?  Might save you a concussion/stitches/back surgery.  Just a thought.

Pat

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »

Maybe a winch/pulley mounted up in the van?  Might save you a concussion/stitches/back surgery.  Just a thought.

Pat

This was years ago...  Rack weighs ~400 lbs (all Crown and Crest amps).  The winch "pull line" is tied off to two points at the top of the van near the bulk-head.  I winched this load for about 6 months and "woke up".  Sold all the amps and went class-H.  The rack (a new one) weighs ~200 lbs.; this is much easier to manager.  The winch capacity is 1000 lbs.

Pay no attention to the "lights" hanging on the wall.  They belonged to a band I occasionally mixed for; they stored much of their equipment in my garage at that time (I had the room).  Those lights have since departed the band.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 10:53:02 AM »

That's a nice looking ramp you have. What brand is it?

Yes, what brand? I'm in the market for a new longer ramp also.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 10:59:18 AM »

Let you know in a minute...lookong for those pins and I structions

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »

What's wrong with your PVI ramp, Frank?

The ramp is not really that bad, and time will tell how it holds up. I was just a little disappointed at the somewhat sloppy construction, ugly welds, crummy handle, and that it oil cans a lot when you put some weight on it. The design is a little awkward with its protrusions and that when picking it up by the handle the edge walls dig into my leg. The big hinge in the middle looks really beefy, though.

On the suggestion of a winch, I had just such a setup using a little Superwinch to solo load and unload a motorcycle from an enclosed truck. I kept a small rope sling on the triple clamp of the bike and had a long pickle to control the winch. It worked great for the bike and other things. One time we used it to move an upright piano. But I think it's just too slow for day-to-day moving of sound equipment, and each heavy piece would need to be equipped with a suitable, centered attachment point. I want a system that's fast, safe, and not too hard on my aging self. The unaided ramp does that for all but the heaviest pieces.

Best,

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »

The ramp is not really that bad, and time will tell how it holds up. I was just a little disappointed at the somewhat sloppy construction, ugly welds, crummy handle, and that it oil cans a lot when you put some weight on it. The design is a little awkward with its protrusions and that when picking it up by the handle the edge walls dig into my leg. The big hinge in the middle looks really beefy, though.

On the suggestion of a winch, I had just such a setup using a little Superwinch to solo load and unload a motorcycle from an enclosed truck. I kept a small rope sling on the triple clamp of the bike and had a long pickle to control the winch. It worked great for the bike and other things. One time we used it to move an upright piano. But I think it's just too slow for day-to-day moving of sound equipment, and each heavy piece would need to be equipped with a suitable, centered attachment point. I want a system that's fast, safe, and not too hard on my aging self. The unaided ramp does that for all but the heaviest pieces.

Best,

--Frank

There are holes for pins in the hinges.  I went through the trash, no pins, no instructions.

It's 100 degrees here and getting ready for gig.  I used the ramp to load the heavy feeder trunks then just lifted the subs in.

More details later.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Pat Talbot

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 03:29:53 PM »

There are holes for pins in the hinges.  I went through the trash, no pins, no instructions.

It's 100 degrees here and getting ready for gig.  I used the ramp to load the heavy feeder trunks then just lifted the subs in.

More details later.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Stay hydrated and electrolyted up Scott.  I almost went down from heat exhaustion at the first of this month in over 115F heat index. 

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 03:39:34 PM »

Best,

--Frank
Mine has been used and abused for 5 years now, and while it looks slightly worse for wear, still works fine.  A slightly thicker handle would be nice, but other than that, I'm not sure how they would improve the ramp without significantly increasing its weight.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 03:39:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.