ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power tool cords  (Read 3008 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Power tool cords
« on: August 24, 2016, 06:53:08 PM »

Semi-basement topic...

I have a friend who is a self-employed welder. He's got a service truck with toolboxes for all his tools.

Every power tool he gets, he cuts the cord down to 1 foot or less. Here's his reasoning:
  • He always uses an extension cord anyway, so a 6' cord is no benefit
  • Shorter cords are less likely to be damaged
  • Connecting and disconnecting a tool from the extension cord is easier when you don't have to look for the end of the cord
  • When it's time to put the tool away, you don't need to wind up the cord -- and they don't get tangled in storage!

Seems like a pretty smart strategy for cord management.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Power tool cords
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 07:33:20 PM »

I have a couple tools that came that way - including a recent Toro leaf blower and an old Skill jigsaw.  I find the connection that close always is catching on something.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 10:50:13 PM »

I have a worm drive circular saw that I (unintentionally) shortened the cord to that length.  Its handier sometimes-but like Frank, I often find it catching on the lumber I am cutting.  Probably not as big a deal on a drill-but then cordless is the way to go.  I saw a demo the other day of a cordless table saw and miter box-they each used 2 20 Volt batteries (I think).  Completely eliminating the safety hazards associated with extension cords certainly has some appeal.
Steve Swaffer

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 12:24:26 AM »

Between my fathers and my efforts the cord on his belt sander has been shortened to the point where it can't be sucked in anymore.

I tend to plug a few things into a triple tap extension cord.  Short power cords wouldn't work in that situation.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 08:31:00 PM »

My hedge clippers have the power plug molded right into the handle with a little locking finger for the extension cord. You plug the female end of the extension cord directly into the handle after doing a short wrap around the strain relief finger. Works great.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 05:05:58 PM »

My hedge clippers have the power plug molded right into the handle with a little locking finger for the extension cord. You plug the female end of the extension cord directly into the handle after doing a short wrap around the strain relief finger. Works great.
Yeah.  My wife's dad had clippers with a long cord, cut many times, always repaired with hospital tape.  I had a B&D hedge clipper that had one of those very short cords.  My wife never cut the cord on that short-cord hedge clipper, but i lost a couple extension cords...  Runs in the family, I guess.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 05:16:53 PM »

Yeah.  My wife's dad had clippers with a long cord, cut many times, always repaired with hospital tape.  I had a B&D hedge clipper that had one of those very short cords.  My wife never cut the cord on that short-cord hedge clipper, but i lost a couple extension cords...  Runs in the family, I guess.

It's amazing our Dad's didn't kill us.  My Dad thought friction tape was a substitute for etape.  We had real Christmas trees 25 year old strings of incandescent lights.  Yikes. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 10:58:16 PM »

When I worked construction there were guys that did the power tool cords that way.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 10:58:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.