ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Console Thoughts  (Read 6200 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Console Thoughts
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 06:51:39 AM »

And there you go.

Tim - You are a mod, correct?  Would you prefer if the rule Debbie quoted was adhered to and members did not attempt to assist by policing newbs?
At least one moderator has commented that he appreciates help with informing name non-conformers, as sometimes the new poster fixes the issue before the mod comes around, saving everybody time.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 06:53:23 AM »

A) Rider Friendly - What do you see requested on the riders of the shows you currently do?
B) Rental Demand - Market specific- What does your market need?
C) Versatility- Midas Pro2 and Pro2c package- 2 consoles are more versatile than one.

Dan,
     Are you sure you need it? It seems to me that if you did, you would already know the answers to the questions above.  Do you have a system that is on the same level as the console(s) you wish to purchase? Do you already have customers that are willing to pay for it? I'm not trying to be a nay sayer. It is just that the question is framed in "business reasons" to upgrade consoles. By all means you don't need a business reason to get a new console. If you think you would enjoy the work flow, sound quality and added features of a pro desk, try them out and get what you like. I've just seen many small companies take the "Field of Dreams" approach and lose big. Best of luck.

JP
This is great advice.  If you're running a business, buy what will make the most money, which might be nothing.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 07:40:15 AM »

This is great advice.  If you're running a business, buy what will make the most money, which might be nothing.

That has been the case for us, buying nothing. We have good sources locally for SC48 and M7's, so we have just held off on large format console purchases. 80% or more of our shows fit on an m32. We rent the SC48 for bigger stuff and when I did the math on renting I would have to rent the console 50-60 times to equal the current used value. For me that doesn't make business sense. I'll keep my capital and keep buying moving lights, which are WAY better ROI and rent way more often. I rent consoles maybe 20x a year, so yes, in 2-3 years I could pay it off, but then it's also my problem when the hard drive crashes on the sc48 because the BE loaded an infected USB drive. Or, the console goes out of rider style as soon as it's paid for.

I don't know your market or situation, I'm just saying for us it wasn't worth it. It was worth it to beef up our cross rental inventory that had better ROI like wireless, wedges and amps that matched friendly companies, and moving lights.

But if you have the cheddar and are looking more to up your image a pair of Pro 2's is pretty sexy. That's just A LOT of money to spend on sex appeal.  And I vote 2 console package is better than one of price is roughly equal. Then you have two pieces to go out and make you some money

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 10:35:50 AM »

With the ability to acquire either a complete SD9 tour package with digital I/o or a Pro2+Pro2c FOH/Monitor rig with digital I/o... I'm trying to decide which package would be more a) rider friendly, b) rental demand from pro-level prospects, c) versatility.

I co-own a production company in Central Pennsylvania and our clients range from local bands to Nashville acts and theatre.

Currently have an M32 and really looking to up our game cater better to the pro-level clients or cross-rent with larger local production companies.   

Cheers!

My outdoor summer band festival season is just about wrapped up, and once again this year the console to have was SC48 or Profile. Supplying either console just makes things easy, every engineer that came through from large act to small had used them, very little babysitting other than a quick tour of where to expect things to come up or patching I/O on someone's file. I'd say that 90% of acts I supply for are fine on SC48.

As far as rider friendly I feel that either of these 2 consoles are still at the top for now. Midas and Digico both make great products in the Pro2 and SD9 but I've only ever had one "must have Pro2" and I've had dozens of "must have SC48/Profile". I have had exactly zero demands for Digico. (Admittedly I don't exclusively supply for bands all year round so YMMV)

I had a brief tour around an S6L after hours at a festival and my first impression is it's a completely different mixing experience which could hurt the market penetration that Avid now enjoys. There's also the lack of Waves plug in support which has been critical to the success of the SC48/Profile. So while I'm confidant in my assessment that the SC48 or Profile is still the console to have, the future is less clear.

Matt

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »

At least one moderator has commented that he appreciates help with informing name non-conformers, as sometimes the new poster fixes the issue before the mod comes around, saving everybody time.

It makes sense to have extra sets of eyes on this to help the mods out whenever possible.  From what I have seen here, reminders have always been presented in a polite manner.... I was just surprised when I referenced the Forum Rules post - I'd never noticed that part before so I too have been guilty of reminding new posters to use their full name.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »

Yes.  Just tell them to read the rules and fix their display name.

Report them and someone will be along to take care of things.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 04:19:09 PM »

My outdoor summer band festival season is just about wrapped up, and once again this year the console to have was SC48 or Profile. Supplying either console just makes things easy, every engineer that came through from large act to small had used them, very little babysitting other than a quick tour of where to expect things to come up or patching I/O on someone's file. I'd say that 90% of acts I supply for are fine on SC48.

As far as rider friendly I feel that either of these 2 consoles are still at the top for now. Midas and Digico both make great products in the Pro2 and SD9 but I've only ever had one "must have Pro2" and I've had dozens of "must have SC48/Profile". I have had exactly zero demands for Digico. (Admittedly I don't exclusively supply for bands all year round so YMMV)

I had a brief tour around an S6L after hours at a festival and my first impression is it's a completely different mixing experience which could hurt the market penetration that Avid now enjoys. There's also the lack of Waves plug in support which has been critical to the success of the SC48/Profile. So while I'm confidant in my assessment that the SC48 or Profile is still the console to have, the future is less clear.

Matt

I agree with much of what you say.  I had a lot of good experience with the Avid profile, though I moved my one on this year as I was doing a lot of shows where a console was supplied or I needed to travel lighter.

I'm in agreement that the future is less clear at the moment.  I had a tour at an introduction day for the Avid S6L and I am slightly biased as a couple of my suggestions made the console, most notably the multi-asign controller sections.  From my short time with it I would say it is the best live sound console available irrespective of the money with performance that even the best studio consoles can't match.  I'm not sure about the Waves plugins, I've used most at one time or another, but not ever found that lacking them is a deal breaker, besides I'm sure you can buss out to a sound server if you really feel it's necessary.  I suspect we are going to see more of a convergence of technology and I would expect the S6L to end up being used by more than a few broadcasters and large scale productions where the cost and size are relatively irrelevant.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »

In the last few years, we have seen a request for an SC48 or Profile about once a year.  The requests were always for two (main and monitor), and they need to match firmware etc.  We were warned not to get them from different suppliers.  For us, the closest pair we could find was an 950 mile round trip.

We have only had to do that once!  One group accepted another console pair for their fly date, and two other had engineer personnel changes, and our Pro 2/Pro1 or M32/X32 became their first (or an acceptable) choice.

The biggest change we are seeing is with groups traveling with their own consoles, IEM's, and even mic packages.  We may use our consoles and wedges for openers, but for headliners we are racks and stacks, stage, and lighting.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.