ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A dark day in rock history  (Read 14178 times)

Hyam Sosnow

Re: A dark day in rock history
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 08:13:43 PM »

I remember seeing Uriah Heep in an indoor venue in Buffalo years ago.
It was my first "big" show and I left because the sound was so terrible.
ELP in a stadium wasn't too bad, as far as I remember,  ;) but certainly not as loud as todays shows.

The first "real" rock show I saw was Cream in March of 1968. I was standing about 15 feet from the stage between Bruce and Baker (the venue had no chairs, only Astro-turf on the floor). The sound system was one gray Altec A4 on each side of the stage (I'm guessing run by Altec amps or DC300s); Clapton and Bruce each used two full 100-watt Marshall stacks. When Clapton came on stage he ran his hand along the tops of all the knobs on both amps, turning every control on each amp all the way up. (My friend and I looked at each other and said in unison, "Oh shit!") When they hit the first chord of "Tales of Brave Ulysses" the sound was so loud it seemed to be physically tangible. It changed my life forever.

John L Nobile

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 09:45:10 PM »

I remember seeing Uriah Heep in an indoor venue in Buffalo years ago.
It was my first "big" show and I left because the sound was so terrible.
ELP in a stadium wasn't too bad, as far as I remember,  ;) but certainly not as loud as todays shows.

I saw ELP once and I remember it as the best concert I've ever seen. I didn't have the critical taste that I do now but I remember it as sounding incredible. But when I think back, it's amazing how with all the hi tech gear they were using that everything worked flawlessly. And how they had such a full sound with only 3 guys and no trax. Great arrangements. I miss you Keith.

Some of these modern bands could use that kind of musicianship in their act.

Hyam Sosnow

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 05:50:56 PM »

I saw ELP once and I remember it as the best concert I've ever seen. I didn't have the critical taste that I do now but I remember it as sounding incredible. But when I think back, it's amazing how with all the hi tech gear they were using that everything worked flawlessly. And how they had such a full sound with only 3 guys and no trax. Great arrangements. I miss you Keith.

Some of these modern bands could use that kind of musicianship in their act.

Amen to that. The third time I saw ELP they were using a Clair S4 system (something like 36 boxes in each hang). It was by far, the best sound I'd ever heard at a rock concert up till then (mid-1977).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2016, 05:50:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.