ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: OA Windsor stage boxes - WOW  (Read 23945 times)

Jim Spohn

Re: OA Windsor stage boxes - WOW
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 12:17:35 AM »

Jim, any plans to offer boxes with Decora-style covers to accommodate GFCI receptacles?

Jonathan,

Pressure is building to come up with a decora cover for sure. Having molds made these days is an incredibly expensive endeavor and having just taken over the company I have been fairly conservative in my expenditures.

For now, I can only say that yes I am thinking about it and will begin to do some research on the costs associated with the mold construction.

Thanks very much and sorry for the lengthy delay in responding. I have been burning the midnight oil to keep up with the box production end of things for months now.

Sincerely,  Jim Spohn OA Windsor
Jim Spohn
OAWindsor.com
307-674-8228
[email protected]
30469 S. Ditmore Road
Worley, ID 83876

Jim Spohn

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 12:25:53 AM »

Hello Jim, I would like to order some items from you, how do I go about it?

Juan Gomez
(951) 591-8789
[email protected]
Juan,

Sorry for the delayed response. I haven't been getting to look at the forums much at all lately.

You can call me at 307-674-8228, or e mail is actually best at [email protected] and we can discuss your needs.

Thanks alot and again I apologize for the delay.  Sincerely,  Jim Spohn OA Windsor
Jim Spohn
OAWindsor.com
307-674-8228
[email protected]
30469 S. Ditmore Road
Worley, ID 83876

Jim Spohn

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 12:34:51 AM »

Look cool, Mike.

Still begs the question: The connectors are incapable of fitting 12ga SOOW or 12ga SEOOW.  The 3-jaw chuck will not take the wire and jacket and still fit into the barrel of the connector.  The cap/collet is of too small diameter to pass any 12GA SOOW that I have been able to find/research.  My experience is that 14ga SOOW (just) fits with lots of effort, and the 12ga SJOOW fits similarly.  Neither of these options are highly recommended by our own forum Oracles.

I've even tried reaming out the cap/collet to no avail, and then there is still the chuck problem.  Any modification to either the cap/collet or chuck would negate the UL listing of the device methinks.

One thing I noticed when converting the euro power cables QSC supplies with their speakers to a 5-15p, their cable is constructed without any fiber (fibre?) fillers?  If the US 12ga SOOW were constructed without the filer (or minimal filler) maybe that would work.  Is ther such a US aminal?

It was obvious to me that Neutrik did not consider the needs of the US market when they produced this series of connectors.  Too bad, they seem a step up from the blue/white Powercons.

Second, separate subject. (and a request once I finish babbling on...)
I started making up my Power drops right around the time Ken passed. During that time, OA Windsor was not an option.

I used the Leviton boxes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XDSEOK/ref=pd_sim_60_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KY2HAMAMMAYHJ8DFP7Q8

The 2-E boxes with the larger collet for my 10ga SEOOW cords, and the 1-E boxes for 12 ga.
I outfitted them with GFCI 5-20R outlets, one each side, wired in parallel with no pass through.

The cover plate I used are also from Leviton:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5GBKHK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One can use these in either a 2-screw attachment, or six screw attachment.  They work very well.

I asked Jim at OA Windsor whether these plates were compatible with his boxes, and offered to test-fit on a sample box, to which I got no response.  No problem. Lots to do to pick up a business.

So my question to you, Mike (or anyone else who wants to experiment) - can you see if these coverplates are workable on the OA Windsor boxes?  I know some folks here on this forum are interested in GFCI devices in rubber boxes - and that is one product OA Windsor has not been able to supply so far (in my experience, which is about a year old, now)

frank

Frank,

I was pretty sure we talked on the phone about at least the fact that I did not have a decora style plate. I don't remember discussing whether leviton plates work with OA Windsor boxes or not, I have a mind/memory like a steel sieve...

As I told Jonathan in this thread, I have been conservative with the expenditures for OA Windsor, not really knowing the market, but am fairly sure now that the business is viable enough to invest in some die making. I will look into it and hopefully come up with a plan soon.

Sorry if I never responded to your question.  Thanks,  Jim Spohn OA Windsor
Jim Spohn
OAWindsor.com
307-674-8228
[email protected]
30469 S. Ditmore Road
Worley, ID 83876

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 01:28:47 AM »

Instead of a molded Decora plate, perhaps there's a suitable material that can be CNC'd?

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 01:49:49 AM »

Instead of a molded Decora plate, perhaps there's a suitable material that can be CNC'd?

For prototyping or very small runs, that might be viable. At some point, though, the number of parts justifies having a mold made and going for a large run. It's not the materials, it's the machining time that's expensive!
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 12:41:10 PM »

Another option (I guess it actually fits in with CNCing) is water jet cutting-I have a customer that does custom water jet cutting-the variety of materials and detail he can is amazing-form .50 cal bullet proof glass to 7" think aluminum to thin foam rubber key fobs and detail down to names in the foam rubber.  Relatively low cost to set up runs-really no tooling cost, etc.
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 04:10:36 PM »

I just built up the first OAW True1 box, and it's a snug fit to get it all inside the box, but definitely doable. However, note that with the existing Neutrik True1 connector design there's no way to make 12-gauge SOOW cord fit inside the twist-on strain relief. So for now it's either 14-gauge SOOW, or 12-gauge SJOOW. I'm going to show this to my contacts at Neutrik to see if there's any way they can design and offer a strain-relief Ferrel with an inside diameter large enough to accept 12-gauge SOOW cable. 

That being said, after a few discussions off the record with various cable manufacturers, there could be an official exception to the SOOW cord requirement for backline stringers. I personally don't see anything wrong with SJ cord for backline stringers considering how much orange crap I see out there, but it's all in the eyes of the AHJ. 

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 02:00:30 PM »

Frank,

I was pretty sure we talked on the phone about at least the fact that I did not have a decora style plate. I don't remember discussing whether leviton plates work with OA Windsor boxes or not, I have a mind/memory like a steel sieve...

As I told Jonathan in this thread, I have been conservative with the expenditures for OA Windsor, not really knowing the market, but am fairly sure now that the business is viable enough to invest in some die making. I will look into it and hopefully come up with a plan soon.

Sorry if I never responded to your question.  Thanks,  Jim Spohn OA Windsor
If the Leviton pates fit your box, we'd be set.  All it would take would be to get the plate and box in the same vicinity.  You wouldn't have to tool anything up,, or have anything CNC'd.  You have the boxes and no plates... I have the Leviton Decora plates, but no boxes.  Maybe we could sort something out.
frank

Jim Spohn

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 07:45:17 PM »

If the Leviton pates fit your box, we'd be set.  All it would take would be to get the plate and box in the same vicinity.  You wouldn't have to tool anything up,, or have anything CNC'd.  You have the boxes and no plates... I have the Leviton Decora plates, but no boxes.  Maybe we could sort something out.
frank
Well Frank,

Unless you are taking a vacation to N Idaho in the near future and want to put a few covers in your suitcase I guess I will need to do my homework and get a couple covers. I see they are supposedly available at Crescent which we (sort of) have here. Now called Stoneway Electric by us... I will pick up a couple and see how it goes.

Thanks for putting the part number out there. I notice you said you could use it as a six screw, but all the pictures I see have only two punched out. I think the 6 option would be best on the rubber boxes.

I'll let you know.

Thanks   Jim OA Windsor
Jim Spohn
OAWindsor.com
307-674-8228
[email protected]
30469 S. Ditmore Road
Worley, ID 83876

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 12:39:35 AM »

Well Frank,

Unless you are taking a vacation to N Idaho in the near future and want to put a few covers in your suitcase I guess I will need to do my homework and get a couple covers. I see they are supposedly available at Crescent which we (sort of) have here. Now called Stoneway Electric by us... I will pick up a couple and see how it goes.

Thanks for putting the part number out there. I notice you said you could use it as a six screw, but all the pictures I see have only two punched out. I think the 6 option would be best on the rubber boxes.

I'll let you know.

Thanks   Jim OA Windsor

Yeah Jim, only two are punched out.  The back of the plate has holes molded in about halfway through - and the plates are supplied with the six short phillips flat-head  head screws.  Drill them the rest of the way through, and countersink.

frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 12:39:35 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 22 queries.