ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP for Danley Sm80 / TH118 combo  (Read 7291 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: DSP for Danley Sm80 / TH118 combo
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 06:56:42 PM »

I think folks like Meyer and the others mentioned have made a real effort to have all their boxes share a similar system response, for the many well known reasons.

I believe some truly knowledgeable tuning folks can roll their own and produce at least equal results, but only for one-off kind of setups.... IF one also has the testing facilities and measuring equip necessary. 
But having the needed testing facilities, and the knowledge of how specific models really function, doesn't come easy.
IOW it's only common sense that it's hard to beat the quality manufacturers at their own game. 
Their processors have to make sense...

But having said that, a lounge level setup is usually a one-off kind of setup, and seems like a good candidate for roll-your-own IF manufacturer processing is out of reach...

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 07:23:52 PM »

I had a professional tune my Itech/SM80/TH118 system. It has served me well for the last few years. They also tuned my SRX system as there were no available settings for the SRX in the Itech DSP. The difference between the settings I was using(dbx 4800 processor) and what they came up with was night and day.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 10:29:10 PM »

Still researching a possible upcoming purchase. Trying to come up with the best bang for the buck dsp and amp combo. The Danley amps look interesting but pricey. I am a dealer for QSC ( and several other brands, but not Crown or Powersoft) so one possibility is the PLD series amps. Not sure if DSL provide settings for that amp - would have to check into that. Another possibilty is a DSL dsp, and some PL3 series amps. I have a PL340 I could use for the SM80's and grab a PL380 for the subs.
Opinions and suggestions please.

I use PLD4.5s for both TH118s and SM80s. It works well but I haven't directly compared it with anything else. In my discussions with Ivan, he was more than willing to provide settings for a "starting point" with the combo. I doubt they have a one-size-fits-all setting in the Danley amps for this combo especially for the crossover between them.  The crossover will likely vary quite a bit with music style, deployment, and user preference.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2016, 08:11:29 AM »

If he doesn't want to replace his amps (which is fine) he need the Danley processor or settings developed by Danley for whatever processor he uses.  The 'easy button' is to buy their amps; the less expensive easy button is to use or buy the processing they specify.  I don't see this as a BFD; if you've got the coin to spend on the Danley boxes you should be able to include $1500 for processing as part of the total system cost.  If that's a deal breaker one should be looking at cheaper systems.

Note again the use of the word "system."
We suggest using a good quality amp-not a cheapo.  Of course the Danley DNA amps would be preferred-but not required.

Regarding processing, as most people know (any many do not) you cannot simply "transfer" numbers from one DSP to different type of DSP.  EVEN within the same family!!!!!!

The same model yes-but NOT the same family. Sometimes you do get lucky however.

Some numbers may match up-others will not.  It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.  They do the "math" differently.

So, that being said, the Danley SC48 would be the best choice for processing with other brand amps.

One of the main reasons is the limiters in it.  It offers basically 4 different limiters.

A continuous limiter for "normal" limiting.

A high freq limiter which offers an additional limiter just for the HF (but the SM80 already has the Sentinel protection built in for HF protection).

This is handy for a 2 way box to offer different levels of limiting based on freq.  If you only have 1 limiter and have HF feedback, the value for the overall box will be to high for just the HF alone.  With the HF limiter at a lower value (based on the lower power of the HF driver), it will limit feedback to a level the driver can safely handle.

A thermal or long term limiter (great for subs or other continuous high level signals-even on mid/high boxes)

An excursion limiter to reduce overexcursion at low freq.

The problem starts when you use this processor with different amps.  The gain of the amp will greatly affect whether the limiters actually work or not or kick in to early or to late.

So you MUST consider the gain of the amp and change the values in the limiter PROPERLY for it do do any good.  This is a case by case basis.  We can help you with this if you give us a call.

The same DSP/processor is built into the DNA10K and 20K amps.  In that case the limiter values are locked and non adjustable and properly set for the particular speakers they are being used with.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 03:56:30 PM »

We suggest using a good quality amp-not a cheapo.  Of course the Danley DNA amps would be preferred-but not required.

Regarding processing, as most people know (any many do not) you cannot simply "transfer" numbers from one DSP to different type of DSP.  EVEN within the same family!!!!!!

The same model yes-but NOT the same family. Sometimes you do get lucky however.

Some numbers may match up-others will not.  It varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.  They do the "math" differently.

So, that being said, the Danley SC48 would be the best choice for processing with other brand amps.

One of the main reasons is the limiters in it.  It offers basically 4 different limiters.

A continuous limiter for "normal" limiting.

A high freq limiter which offers an additional limiter just for the HF (but the SM80 already has the Sentinel protection built in for HF protection).

This is handy for a 2 way box to offer different levels of limiting based on freq.  If you only have 1 limiter and have HF feedback, the value for the overall box will be to high for just the HF alone.  With the HF limiter at a lower value (based on the lower power of the HF driver), it will limit feedback to a level the driver can safely handle.

A thermal or long term limiter (great for subs or other continuous high level signals-even on mid/high boxes)

An excursion limiter to reduce overexcursion at low freq.

The problem starts when you use this processor with different amps.  The gain of the amp will greatly affect whether the limiters actually work or not or kick in to early or to late.

So you MUST consider the gain of the amp and change the values in the limiter PROPERLY for it do do any good.  This is a case by case basis.  We can help you with this if you give us a call.

The same DSP/processor is built into the DNA10K and 20K amps.  In that case the limiter values are locked and non adjustable and properly set for the particular speakers they are being used with.

Thanks, Ivan.  Limiting and protection hadn't even come into this conversation yet, but among the main reasons to use factory processing.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »

Thanks, Ivan.  Limiting and protection hadn't even come into this conversation yet, but among the main reasons to use factory processing.
The problem is that many people think that a "simple limiter" will do everything you need to protect a loudspeaker.

If music or speech was a steady state signal-it could, but music is VERY dynamic.  Often having a factor of 1000.

Powersoft also offers limiter section that is also very good.  It offers everything ours does-and a little more.

Setting up PROPER limiters is not a simple "one number" thing.

That is better than nothing-but is not complete.  Unless you set it really low and "stifle" the possible output.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rick Powell

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 06:38:24 PM »

If he doesn't want to replace his amps (which is fine) he need the Danley processor or settings developed by Danley for whatever processor he uses.  The 'easy button' is to buy their amps; the less expensive easy button is to use or buy the processing they specify.  I don't see this as a BFD; if you've got the coin to spend on the Danley boxes you should be able to include $1500 for processing as part of the total system cost.

FYI-the preferred Danley SC48 processor is indeed within sight of this price range, if external power amps are used. It should be noted the Dante option is several hundred more, if that's important to you.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 06:40:47 PM by Rick Powell »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 06:53:57 PM »

FYI-the preferred Danley SC48 processor is indeed within sight of this price range, if external power amps are used. It should be noted the Dante option is several hundred more, if that's important to you.
The processor comes standard with analog and AES inputs.

Indeed the Dante is an option at an additional charge.  Not everybody needs it, so why pay for it if you don't need it.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 11:45:51 AM »

This is typical of not on the cheap end for proprietary processing. I just sold my USED EAW UX8800 for $1800. It is like $3500 new...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2016, 11:45:51 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 23 queries.