ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: new mixer for small church  (Read 8211 times)

Jon Roelfs

Re: new mixer for small church
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 02:56:10 PM »

Before you repair your mixer / amp I would look at a used  Mixwizard and a couple of good amps from Ebay or Crags list ETC. For amps, Look at TOA.  They go for crazy low prices.
Now that parts have been located for the mixer it should be a little less than $100 to fix. The time frame is still concerning though.

The Furman is a waste of money.  For a few bucks more get a UPS.
Can anyone please shed some light on this comment? I haven't opened the Furman yet so a return/exchange should be easy to do.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 06:07:21 PM »

Now that parts have been located for the mixer it should be a little less than $100 to fix. The time frame is still concerning though.
Can anyone please shed some light on this comment? I haven't opened the Furman yet so a return/exchange should be easy to do.

Looking at the specs the Furman it appears to be an ordinary surge protector and a nice package and some over and under voltage protection you would get with a ups. 
Not to Code

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2016, 01:16:46 PM »

We have a Peavey XR684 that was damaged possibly by lightning or a power surge as well as a couple other pieces of gear.

This wording cause me to assume (perhaps incorrectly) that this damage happened when no one was around and the sytem was not being used?  In this case I could highly recomend setting up your sound/media equipment so that you can disconnect them from the power line when they are not in use.  I have ours setup so one switch (2 pole so I have 2 20 amp circuits) shuts everything down disconnecting it from the power line.  We have plent of thunderstorms, but haven't had an issue in over 20 years.  It's not bullet proof, but it seems to be effective so far.
Steve Swaffer

Jon Roelfs

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2016, 01:37:16 PM »

You are correct, the system was turned off and nobody was around. Currently power comes in from a rack mounted power strip that is plugged into the wall. Then a couple white multi outlet power strips. Power is turned off with the switch on the rack mounted power strip when not in use, but the cord is plugged in to the wall at all times.

The keyboard is only plugged into wall power when in use then disconnected when done. It is always connected to the sound system through a Radial ProDI though.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 12:31:16 AM »

SurgeX all the way, hands-down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 02:47:48 PM »

What people miss is lightning can travel down any conductor
but eliminating as many paths as possible is a good plan.
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 01:04:03 PM »

Several years ago, one of my customers suffered a lightning strike. We believe the strike may have been to a copper comms line between two buildings. Or, more specifically, a ground strike in the vicinity of the underground trunk.

On one end of the line (actually a single pair of a CAT3 phone trunk) it took out a short-haul DSL modem, two ports of a network switch (one of which connected to the modem), and a network interface on a server (connected to the other port of the network switch). On the other end of the line, it took out the other short-haul modem, a second network switch, and in a PC also connected to that second switch, a network interface, a video card, and the power supply.

Everything was plugged into surge protectors, but there was no surge protection on the copper line between the DSL modems. It's possible that the overvoltage came in through the PC with the blown power supply, since the surge suppressor was a rather inexpensive and aged model.

The moral of the story is to consider every avenue that a voltage surge or spike can take. Sometimes it comes in the back door.

You probably don't need surge protection on your interconnects within a rack or even within a building, but if you have a feed from one building to another, you may want some kind of overvoltage protection on that feed line, even if the power supplies of the endpoints themselves are protected.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:07:54 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jon Roelfs

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 10:56:55 PM »

The entire sound system is connected to outside wiring by only three electrical power points. No phone, cable, ethernet or additional grounds for us. Two of these points are only plugged in while in use on Sunday. Unfortunately the third point, at the desk, is plugged in at all times.

Jon Roelfs

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »

Got the mixer back from the factory in Mississippi and finally had time to install it. Unplugged everything from the loaner and started hooking up the peavey. Made enough connections and thought i would listen to some music while I worked. Turned the mixer on and noticed a constant static noise coming from the speakers. It is more pronounced on one output amp then the other. Also, with no inputs connected, if I turn a channel up a noise like a neon sign transformer occurs and gets louder as the channel is turned up.

On the positive side it is passing a signal now and I didn't try and see how far I could throw it off the balcony. Looks like we are going to send it back to the factory again. If it comes back with issues still we might be replacing it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 05:37:21 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.