ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung View  (Read 53859 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Samsung View
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »

Ironically I cannot find the setting to ignore networks. Its so easy on my iPhone but on the Samsung tablet I just can't find it .... mmm
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 04:49:22 PM »

I found a way to restrict networks that are in use at the time of activating the restriction. . That doesn't help me much as I won't be using them at a show anyway... this seems silly. Does anyone else use a Samsung tablet and might know the answer?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 04:56:20 PM »

I found a way to restrict networks that are in use at the time of activating the restriction. . That doesn't help me much as I won't be using them at a show anyway... this seems silly. Does anyone else use a Samsung tablet and might know the answer?

I think it's in the Android system settings for WiFi, something about "ask before connecting".  Samsung also has "smart switch" that can automatically switch between various networks and telco data.  That can be disabled and it's an app, IIRC, so it can probably be removed if necessary.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 06:52:36 PM »

I think it's in the Android system settings for WiFi, something about "ask before connecting".  Samsung also has "smart switch" that can automatically switch between various networks and telco data.  That can be disabled and it's an app, IIRC, so it can probably be removed if necessary.

Yeah - I really should have said Android- not Samsung (I'm such an apple person - LOL).... there is nothing I can find in settings other than what I have found and already mentioned. The Samsung app sounds interesting though - although according to a google search it appears it is preloaded into most Samsung devices- the VIEW is not one of them.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 02:04:04 PM »

I got a heads-up today from a forum member that Best Buy have the View on sale at $349.99. Amazon followed suit and did the same.... so I contacted Jet.com and they price matched for me!.......at $349.99 - I might just get another one!

Jeff Dine

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 01:52:46 PM »

Congrats on the new "tablet", sounds like it's working well for you.  So how many channels can you display without affecting usability? That's a subjective one I know, but I'd be interested to hear your take on it.  I'm guessing you have it set up with a single stack of buttons on the right side with all that vertical real-estate to work with, freeing up room for another channel or two. 

The cool thing is that it looks like the View supports USB OTG.  As you probably know, this gives you the ability to hard wire a network connection to many desks.  With the right USB OTG hub you could also connect a keyboard, mouse, external drive, etc., and still keep a charge going to the tablet, which is pretty awesome. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 02:37:17 PM »

Congrats on the new "tablet", sounds like it's working well for you.  So how many channels can you display without affecting usability? That's a subjective one I know, but I'd be interested to hear your take on it.  I'm guessing you have it set up with a single stack of buttons on the right side with all that vertical real-estate to work with, freeing up room for another channel or two. 

The cool thing is that it looks like the View supports USB OTG.  As you probably know, this gives you the ability to hard wire a network connection to many desks.  With the right USB OTG hub you could also connect a keyboard, mouse, external drive, etc., and still keep a charge going to the tablet, which is pretty awesome.

It really is down to personal preference when it comes to how many channels can be displayed because I just did a mock up for your question and even with the buttons on the right, I have the ability to lay out 32 slats which can be channels, blanks, main etc. Even then the faders are the size of those I get on my iPad mini. They are very workable....

You lost me on your next point I'm afraid. I am unsure of just how flexible the View is regarding connections etc at this point.

One of my disappointments is that I cannot use a back up battery pack like I can with my iPad as the View uses a proprietary DC wall wart for charging.  I always take a couple of packs with me and on long shows, they have proven to be a Godsend. Also on one or two occasions, I have forgotten to charge my iPad up to 100% but have been able to charge on the way to a show through USB which has done the trick.
The good news however is that the View battery lasts up to 8 hours ( and it does) so that helps but it would be nice to have some form of power back up ( My OCD nature). .... Still pleased with my purchase and Can't wait to use it at a show.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 04:57:21 PM »

It really is down to personal preference when it comes to how many channels can be displayed because I just did a mock up for your question and even with the buttons on the right, I have the ability to lay out 32 slats which can be channels, blanks, main etc. Even then the faders are the size of those I get on my iPad mini. They are very workable....

You lost me on your next point I'm afraid. I am unsure of just how flexible the View is regarding connections etc at this point.

One of my disappointments is that I cannot use a back up battery pack like I can with my iPad as the View uses a proprietary DC wall wart for charging.  I always take a couple of packs with me and on long shows, they have proven to be a Godsend. Also on one or two occasions, I have forgotten to charge my iPad up to 100% but have been able to charge on the way to a show through USB which has done the trick.
The good news however is that the View battery lasts up to 8 hours ( and it does) so that helps but it would be nice to have some form of power back up ( My OCD nature). .... Still pleased with my purchase and Can't wait to use it at a show.
Sounds very cool.

Network switching - many of the newer WiFi Access Points have software functions to try to shift WiFi traffic from the 2.4ghz band to the 5ghz band - which MAY be part of the connection-reconnection and subsequent loss of metering you describe.  Since the SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz are the same, they say it is seamless - but since two different radios are involved, all I can do is guess.

It is roughly a 5lb tablet.  It will be interesting to hear from you how that weight over the course of a show is managed.  At $350, I was inches from jumping.  And still might. 

Using the QU16 any more, or is it all Q-Pac?  The apps are getting SO good... and between size and weight...
frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »

Sounds very cool.

Network switching - many of the newer WiFi Access Points have software functions to try to shift WiFi traffic from the 2.4ghz band to the 5ghz band - which MAY be part of the connection-reconnection and subsequent loss of metering you describe.  Since the SSID for 2.4 and 5ghz are the same, they say it is seamless - but since two different radios are involved, all I can do is guess.

It is roughly a 5lb tablet.  It will be interesting to hear from you how that weight over the course of a show is managed.  At $350, I was inches from jumping.  And still might. 

Using the QU16 any more, or is it all Q-Pac?  The apps are getting SO good... and between size and weight...
frank

I use the QU-PAC every show now..... too easy and space conserving. However, I bring my QU 16 in flight case with me every show for back up and leave it at stage side. However, I also always use it for rehearsal - just to stay on top of being able to get to settings and functions quickly and to avoid having to use the iPad. .  I can then spend time copying any settings or scenes that I may have edited at shows from the QU PAC to the QU 16. That way if I did need to use the QU16 due to a problem with the QU PAC, I'd have everything set the same with the default being within the last couple of weeks and without having to waste any time  downloading at the show.
I still sometimes have to think how to get to stuff on the QU PAC and referring to the QU16 helps me get there quickly due to it being basically the same mixer, just more sub menus to go through on the PAC.

I have been thinking about the size of the Samsung and I think I will be better off leaving the tablet at FOH just like I would a mixer and grab my iPad to move around with.  I'll be keeping my iPad with me anyway as back-up so this should work.
I've also considered that on many occasions ( especially when Chris is playing) I have been alone mixing and hesitant to leave my iPad and walk away so I grab it and take it with me each time (which can be annoying). However, I think it would be a lot harder for someone to grab the Samsung without raising an eyebrow... who knows?... I am sure anything can happen in the world we live in. The Samsung has a good solid handle though !

I'm finding the connection to be more stable since I selected a static IP address. However, if I come out of the program to look at anything else on the iPad, it seems to disconnect. It connects right back up but that meter freezing thing then occurs. On the iPad if I come out of the program, I can go right back in to it without any issues. The iPad is definitely the more stable of the 2 when it comes to connectivity. Now I just have to see what happens at the shows.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 08:03:48 PM »

I had my iPad and the Mixing Station QU Pro on my 7" LG tablet.  I do like the Mixing station, but the recent upgrades to the A&H make it very usable.  Using both the same gig? Did not work well for me.

What I found was a fair amount of confusion - mentally switching back and forth between apps that look NOTHING alike, and very different means of navigating slowed me down horribly - even with the IOS app which I'm 10x more familiar, I was much slower.  The slowed mental process was fairly comprehensive. I think that is also playing a part in spending less time with the mechanical faders - the switch back and forth is stressing this old brain!  They may as well be separate mixers.

Now, I also mix 15 nights a month on the QSC Touchmix.  That interface is no better or worse than either the A&H or Mixing Station app.  Because I start out with it, I don't look for A&H QU functions.  Similarly, on jobs where I use the IOS app for the QU, I don't look for QSC Touchmix functions.  But the QU apps and or mechanical surface in close temporal proximity tie me in knots

It will be interesting to see how your brain will handle the back and forth on a live gig.  Please share what you experience.  Always curious.

frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 08:03:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.