ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CL5 with Ethersound Card?  (Read 5545 times)

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
CL5 with Ethersound Card?
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:55:13 AM »

Hello all,
We are upgrading our theater from an M7CL-ES to a CL5 and are currently looking at the best way to add more than 64 remote input sockets. The M7 is expanded with AuviTran AVY16 ES-100 Ether-sound cards and additional Yamaha Ethersound Stage boxes to get the input socket count up via the card slots. Our thought was to reuse an Ethersound stage box and one of the cards to get us up to the target 80 remote sockets to patch on the CL5.

The more costly but slightly less versatile option is to buy the RIO 1608 and a use Dante Controller to patch the inputs over to the console when needed. Or we could buy a Dante card for the slot and run a secondary network. (basically the same idea as the Ethersound option that we currently own)

I cant find anywhere about whether or not the CL5 could control the head amps remotely through the Ethersound card like the M7.

Is there a better option I should be considering?

Thanks!
Kristian Stevenson

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: CL5 with Ethersound Card?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 11:56:47 AM »

Hello all,
We are upgrading our theater from an M7CL-ES to a CL5 and are currently looking at the best way to add more than 64 remote input sockets. The M7 is expanded with AuviTran AVY16 ES-100 Ether-sound cards and additional Yamaha Ethersound Stage boxes to get the input socket count up via the card slots. Our thought was to reuse an Ethersound stage box and one of the cards to get us up to the target 80 remote sockets to patch on the CL5.

The more costly but slightly less versatile option is to buy the RIO 1608 and a use Dante Controller to patch the inputs over to the console when needed. Or we could buy a Dante card for the slot and run a secondary network. (basically the same idea as the Ethersound option that we currently own)

I cant find anywhere about whether or not the CL5 could control the head amps remotely through the Ethersound card like the M7.

Thanks!

I don't know if you will be able to control the Ethersound HA, but otherwise it should be fine. Adding Dante cards does not mean running a separate network, you just add the card to your existing network. I have a show coming up where one of the CL5s has 3 Dante cards in it because we need over 100 patchable input ports. Using those slot inputs for a Rio device means you need to set the Rio in AD8HR mode to get HA control, as a straight Rio connection there is no HA control on the slots.

Mac

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 01:12:27 PM »

Using those slot inputs for a Rio device means you need to set the Rio in AD8HR mode to get HA control, as a straight Rio connection there is no HA control on the slots.
That's surprising that it doesn't support native mode. Limitation of the card or the console do you think?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 01:28:20 PM »

That's surprising that it doesn't support native mode. Limitation of the card or the console do you think?

It's a slot limitation. I am actually still waiting for details from Yamaha on how to implement HA control on the slots. Last year I had about 20 inputs of Tony Bennett on slot inputs and could only adjust HA via the device window which does not have the inputs labeled.

Mac

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 01:43:22 PM »

I would have thought it work with the card in Mode 2, but I haven't ever tried this combination myself. I'm sure you've already looked into it thoroughly.
http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=countrysite-master.prod.wsys.yamaha.com&asset_id=58150
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 03:24:03 PM »

I don't know if you will be able to control the Ethersound HA, but otherwise it should be fine. Adding Dante cards does not mean running a separate network, you just add the card to your existing network. I have a show coming up where one of the CL5s has 3 Dante cards in it because we need over 100 patchable input ports. Using those slot inputs for a Rio device means you need to set the Rio in AD8HR mode to get HA control, as a straight Rio connection there is no HA control on the slots.

Mac

Got it - that makes sense. Not sure why I thought it would have to be a separate network. I think we are leaning towards using the Ethersound hardware since we already own in. Took some digging but I found this guide in the CL reference manual for HA control of Ethersound hardware for those interested: http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file?language=en&site=countrysite-master.prod.wsys.yamaha.com&asset_id=59040#page=145
Kristian Stevenson

John Penkala

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 12:22:35 PM »

Hello all,

Thanks!

If you only need inputs, two RI8d's may cost less than a single RIO1608d. If you are on a budget, a TIO1608d may work for you. However, there are some differences such as not being able to control the headamps from the secondary network.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 12:22:35 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.