ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions for MPC users  (Read 6468 times)

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
Re: Questions for MPC users
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 05:21:54 PM »

I have made a lot of progress with MPC. I have been able to transcribe several of my cuelists into it and am getting comfortable with FX attributes. I have successfully set up MPCTools and linked control of the global GO button to my MIDI footswitch. There is one thing that I really need to do that I have not been able to figure out yet, so I was hoping someone here might have an idea. I have posted at Martin's user forum and have an email out to Ricardo Dias as well.

I can't seem to find a way to set this up such that a push from a midi footswitch button will advance to the next cuelist in a bank (or even better, the next playback button). I can set a current cuelists to release when a new cuelist begins, but the advancing with a button I cannot find a way.

This is the one thing remaining that is preventing me to fully adopting MPC. Any ideas?

Thanks

Graham Spice

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 11:20:34 PM »

The Martin M-Series User Group on Facebook is really great. Super responsive, helpful people have eyes there. Highly recommended: https://www.facebook.com/groups/martin.mseries/

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 02:17:21 AM »

Thanks, I will check out the FB group!

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 12:47:00 AM »

Just to update, I haven't gotten anywhere on this with FB, the Martin forum, or elsewhere so far. It's kind of a bummer if this can't be done but I like MPC enough that I'm inclined to change the way I operate so that I can stick with it.

Alan Halverson

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 09:21:27 AM »

Just to update, I haven't gotten anywhere on this with FB, the Martin forum, or elsewhere so far. It's kind of a bummer if this can't be done but I like MPC enough that I'm inclined to change the way I operate so that I can stick with it.

Hi Brian -

I have a similar use case (band with 1 cuelist per song). The missing piece for you is the "next cuelist/playback" issue. For me, I have song charts loaded into an iPad app (Forscore). This allows me to send arbitrary MIDI. Since I know exactly what song we're playing next, I can send (through "buttons" defined in MPCTools) a GoToBank command followed by a MainPlaybackButtonDown command to select the exact bank and playback I want to run next. This way the playbacks don't need to be in setlist order - you just set the setlist order on the iPad, and advance the songs there. Now you just need to execute the global Go/Back commands as necessary.

I also saw that you mentioned "cuelist release when a new cuelist begins". Maybe that is built in, but I used a macro in a cue numbered 0.5 to execute Release All followed by triggering my actual cue number 1, which is my "between songs" look. Scene 2 ends up being the actual first look for each song.

Hope some of that is helpful. I'm just learning all of this too.

Brian_Henry

• NJ
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2017, 01:47:27 AM »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply. That is an interesting solution, however we don't use charts on stage so there is no ipad. I may be misunderstanding your setup, but would that not be the same as just choosing the playback button for a song directly in MPC? This would be my fallback solution if I can't solve the advance to next issue as I am running MPC off a touchscreen Surface 3. Still hoping to boil this down to only one or two midi commands.

Yes, the release can be selected in your cuelist options dialog. You might find it to be less work than building in a release command to each cuelist, although your solution is pretty clever.

Alan Halverson

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 10:30:05 AM »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reply. That is an interesting solution, however we don't use charts on stage so there is no ipad. I may be misunderstanding your setup, but would that not be the same as just choosing the playback button for a song directly in MPC? This would be my fallback solution if I can't solve the advance to next issue as I am running MPC off a touchscreen Surface 3. Still hoping to boil this down to only one or two midi commands.

Yes, the release can be selected in your cuelist options dialog. You might find it to be less work than building in a release command to each cuelist, although your solution is pretty clever.

Yes, you're right that having the MPC in front of you and clicking the playback would be the same thing as sending the MIDI from the iPad. I was just relaying how I was attacking the problem, and I already had the iPad setlist happening. I'd check in with the Martin forum about the nuances of external MIDI control you'd like to have.

Thanks for the info about the cuelist options. It wasn't too hard to do it with the macro - I built it once and then copy/pasted the cuelist a bunch of times so every one of them had the same first two cues.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 10:30:05 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.