ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic'ing a stereo guitar amp  (Read 7280 times)

Nikhil Mulay

Re: Mic'ing a stereo guitar amp
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 12:55:45 AM »

What I do for pseudo stereo at times is mic both speakers of a guitar amp.

Since every speaker responds slightly differently to the guitar, you get a nice little spread to it..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 04:28:45 AM »

One of the bands I do regularly are quite guitar heavy (blackmetal), I double-mic both gitars and cross-pan them hard for a nice, big guitar sound in the middle and separation on the sides som you can hear both guitars across the venue. I use a ribbon+a condenser for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 08:56:22 AM »

I used to mix for a band where the guitarists demanded his cabinet (stereo cabinet) have 2 mics on it - one mic for each speaker.  The PA was run in mono.  The 2 mic method sort of worked, but there were some phasing issues due to the mic positionings in front of his guitar cabinet.  Even though the PA was in mono, he wanted the audio from both speakers to be present in FOH.

We ended up placing a single mic further out front of the cabinet to pick up both speakers - problem solved.  Later on, he eventually stopped doing stereo and assimilated with the rest of the band.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »

The crowd close to the stage will hear left/right effects, movement of sound, etc., and if you go to extremes there are guitars that have individual output for each string (as if that's needed), but you will never here true by definition stereo. A pair of mics on a cabinet is nothing new, and the sound can certainly be tailored to the players tastes, but that will usually entail micing with different mics placed in different locations relative to the cabinet drivers. I have played with front/back placement many, many times, and if you can get some good separation (not full left/right, but enough so that the presence of the guitar is "larger", you'll have a nice effect. 10 points for knowing what has to be done with the back mic. And this is for combo amps with open cabinets only.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John L Nobile

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 10:36:44 AM »

I just did 3 nights with a Queen cover band  and "Brian May" insisted I run his rig in stereo. Miced both amps and hard panned them. Sounded great at FOH. Couldn't walk the room as it was a real busy mix and I was doing lights but the crowd was digging his guitar work. As was I.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 03:55:20 PM »

I'll bet the sound was fat and full. It's a good technique, but still not stereo, just the sound of one amp left and one amp right. It's when they combine that it takes on some balls. Stand up close and not so much.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

David Buckley

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 08:16:59 AM »

I just did 3 nights with a Queen cover band  and "Brian May" insisted I run his rig in stereo.

The solo in Seven seas of rhye sounds a bit poor without the two long delays hard left and right as well as the centre.

"Stereo" guitar rigs are lovely with time based effects, and such effects do carry moderately well even well outside the "stereo" field. 

John L Nobile

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 01:07:30 AM »

I'll bet the sound was fat and full. It's a good technique, but still not stereo, just the sound of one amp left and one amp right. It's when they combine that it takes on some balls. Stand up close and not so much.

The "stereo" seemed to be more for ping pong delay. During his extended solo he pointed left and right to point out where the repeats were going. Maybe that was something Brian May did.

I may sound old (I am) but I really miss the days when guitar, drum and keyboard solos were the showstoppers. With the right players it's amazing.
Notice that I left out bass solos :)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 01:07:30 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.