ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: "new"VHF Band for mics  (Read 11595 times)

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
Re: "new"VHF Band for mics
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2016, 04:53:09 PM »

My point of all of this is the form factor reduction really worth the complexity and performance hit?

That's a thought-provoking question!  I haul around a lot of antennas, but the difference in size really doesn't make much of a difference for transport.

Until the UA860V appeared, my main VHF omni was a 1/4λ wideband ground plane with 3 foldable counterpoise elements that had around 2dB of gain. What sealed the deal for me was the third time that I had to repair it because of other departments' carelessness around such a large instrument. It's not fragile, but it can't stand up to moving trusses and set pieces crushing or scraping against it.  The UA860V's size allows it to be placed in more out of the way places. Since VHF losses are so low in good cable, not much gain is often required.

Sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse the inevitable spelling and grammatical errors.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »

That's a thought-provoking question!  I haul around a lot of antennas, but the difference in size really doesn't make much of a difference for transport.

Until the UA860V appeared, my main VHF omni was a 1/4λ wideband ground plane with 3 foldable counterpoise elements that had around 2dB of gain. What sealed the deal for me was the third time that I had to repair it because of other departments' carelessness around such a large instrument. It's not fragile, but it can't stand up to moving trusses and set pieces crushing or scraping against it.  The UA860V's size allows it to be placed in more out of the way places. Since VHF losses are so low in good cable, not much gain is often required.

Sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse the inevitable spelling and grammatical errors.

Hence was my comment.  The dipole I use has threaded rods for the ground plane and takes about 5 minutes to assemble.  I don't work around any of the heavy steel you described so that antenna has survived at least 10 years. 

When I first started hanging around PSW I got into a discussion with Peter Erskine about using a spread spectrum system for production instead of discrete receivers.  I still think with good engineering the latency issue could be solved and the idea of setting up a series of cellular base stations around a venue that would handle all the endpoints would revolutionize production RF work. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 05:14:32 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.