ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 64 Audio IEM  (Read 3834 times)

Leonardo Bertinelli

64 Audio IEM
« on: July 25, 2016, 01:36:47 PM »

Hello,
I am going to buy a pair of custom IEMs and I was looking at 64 Audio A3.
I play guitar and I will use them through Kemper Profiler.

Do you think that -18 db of isolation are sufficient for stage use or do I have to look at JH Audio IEMs that have -26 db of isolation?

Thank you

Leonardo Bertinelli

Re: 64 Audio IEM
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 09:58:35 AM »

up  :)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 10:46:55 AM »

Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim Halligan

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »

Up?

Think of it as meaning "bump."

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Roland Clarke

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 05:20:45 AM »

Hello,
I am going to buy a pair of custom IEMs and I was looking at 64 Audio A3.
I play guitar and I will use them through Kemper Profiler.

Do you think that -18 db of isolation are sufficient for stage use or do I have to look at JH Audio IEMs that have -26 db of isolation?

Thank you

It depends on your application.  I know people that use ears for level control and a certain amount of bleed might be ideal for them.  I think you need to decide exactly what you are trying to achieve and buy accordingly.

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 01:44:45 PM »

I can't comment on the specific model, but I have a pair of 64 Audio U6's that I use for monitor mixing and have been very pleased. The isolation is fine for me (even for a universal).
Coming from Shure SE425's, the 64 universals are a big step up and I thought the Shure's were OK before I got the 64's. The U6's have so much more clarity and definition (if that makes sense). Comparatively, the Shure's sound like I have cotton in my ears.

I've also mixed on Westone UM2's which are even a step down from the Shure's.

I've got musician friends that own various models of the custom 64's and have been pleased.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 03:58:38 PM by Kristian Stevenson »
Kristian Stevenson

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 02:18:58 PM »

To quote the master "it depends".  What is the stage levels you are working around?  What kind of levels are you comfortable with at your ear.  What kind of mixing is available to feed the rest of the band to your ears.  Are you used to playing in headphones or do you need to hear the other instruments naturally (involving the "cocktail party effect" of localization?

25+dB of attenuation will sound pretty quiet to the average performing musician and not very "energetic".  I've tried 25dB "flat" plugs and it sounded like the band was outside.  I use 9.5 dB plugs now and it takes the sting off while still sounding involving.  My audiologist would prefer the 15dB filters but that still takes too much off.  Although I've thought of getting some for going to concerts, which are louder than the playing situations I'm involved in.

This plays into the amount of feed of the rest of the band you use.  At 25dB you'll probably want most everything fed in to some degree unless you are playing with a very loud bass player (IEM's don't attenuate bass as much as higher frequencies) or drummer.  Now you need to learn to deal with a mix of everything in your head.  Which doesn't bother some folks but drove me nuts.

If you're only using it for your modeled guitar and expecting to just hear the stage sound of everything else, then you may want less attenuation in the IEMs although I'm not sure how this is achieved.  Molded plugs that fit give 25-30dB attenuation from the mids up and around 10dB of bass isolation.  So unless there is some feed through mechanism I'm not sure how the -18 is achieved.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 02:18:58 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.