ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Keep blowing JBL tweeters  (Read 12640 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Keep blowing JBL tweeters
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 04:46:58 PM »

We do have a an equalizer that I forgot about, that is in between the S32 and the power amps

You sure don't need that.  The Behringer has EQ's on every input, matrix, aux, FX return and if that is not enough you can use insert points and choose EQ's from the effects collection. 

It also is a opens you up to hamfisted eq hacking

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Irvin Pribadi

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 11:02:14 PM »

To add, even with no DSP before your amps, the X32 allows you to run your main outs through a matrix that has simple limiters to protect your speakers.
Do you know if the tweeters blew at the beginning of its usage that day or was it "after a while"?
Keep an eye on the QSC RMX 2450 as well, make sure it isn't clipping.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 11:08:02 PM »

To add, even with no DSP before your amps, the X32 allows you to run your main outs through a matrix that has simple limiters to protect your speakers.
Do you know if the tweeters blew at the beginning of its usage that day or was it "after a while"?
ASSUMING the limiters are properly set.  If not-then they are worthless

The RMX2450 has a clipping eliminator on the switch on the rear panel.  Make sure it is turned on.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Matthew Uzzle

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 11:27:10 PM »

We've replaced the tweeters 3 times since we installed the X32. They usually blow after about 3 church services.

Matthew Uzzle

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 11:29:10 PM »

ASSUMING the limiters are properly set.  If not-then they are worthless

The RMX2450 has a clipping eliminator on the switch on the rear panel.  Make sure it is turned on.
I noticed that today, when I was researching. Will that do a lot to protect the speakers?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2016, 07:33:29 AM »

I noticed that today, when I was researching. Will that do a lot to protect the speakers?
The clipping eliminator is just ONE of the limiters that should be used.  At least to help reduce the amp clipping-IF that is actually the problem.

It could possibly help.

The problem is we have no idea how hard you are running the system, how dynamic the signal is going into the amps and so forth.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 10:19:25 AM »

OP, where are you located?  There might be some here close to you who might be willing to take some time to serve a fellow worship provider with some tips or refer you to a someone who can diagnose and recommend changes to the system. 

That said, you have some big issues, most of which are due to the fact that what you have is a pile of gear, not a cohesive system with a clear design goal.

Some notable issues, most of which have been mentioned already:

1. I cannot find any version of the MRX515 which has fly points.  How are you flying those cabinets?  Who flew them?  If they are hanging from eyebolts in the cabs or cables through the handles, STOP, and take them down before you conduct another service.  Seriously.

2. As was said before, ditch the outboard EQ.

3. You are pushing the speakers past their capabilities, aka "Not enough rig for the gig."

Can we get a detailed run through of how the system is set up, complete with equipment brand/model and how things are connected?  I would love to look at your show file from the console if you don't mind me looking at it.  Might be able to spot some gotchas in your setup.

My gut tells me that you are asking too much of this setup and, as a result, are pushing something into clipping, which is killing drivers.  A properly setup system should not fry HF drivers every few services.

Good luck and God Bless!  I hope we can all help you get things squared away so you can enjoy serving your congregation and not fretting about whether your gear survives this week.

Matthew Uzzle

Keep blowing JBL tweeters
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2016, 10:34:49 AM »

OP, where are you located?  There might be some here close to you who might be willing to take some time to serve a fellow worship provider with some tips or refer you to a someone who can diagnose and recommend changes to the system. 

That said, you have some big issues, most of which are due to the fact that what you have is a pile of gear, not a cohesive system with a clear design goal.

1. I cannot find any version of the MRX515 which has fly points.  How are you flying those cabinets?  Who flew them?  If they are hanging from eyebolts in the cabs or cables through the handles, STOP, and take them down before you conduct another service.  Seriously.

3. You are pushing the speakers past their capabilities, aka "Not enough rig for the gig."

Can we get a detailed run through of how the system is set up, complete with equipment brand/model and how things are connected?  I would love to look at your show file from the console if you don't mind me looking at it.  Might be able to spot some gotchas in your setup.

My gut tells me that you are asking too much of this setup and, as a result, are pushing something into clipping, which is killing drivers.  A properly setup system should not fry HF drivers every few services.

Good luck and God Bless!  I hope we can all help you get things squared away so you can enjoy serving your congregation and not fretting about whether your gear survives this week.
We are in western ky, town called central city. Ok I'll try to give a detailed run though, but some of the stuff I'm not sure about on model number and things. First the mixer is X32, then we have an S32 snake, our wireless mics are one Shure and 4 Voco Pro's then we have two Shure sm58's for vocals. We have two Shure sm57's on two fender tube amps in the back room. And we also have that equalizer, which apparently we need to get rid of, then the QSC is powering the two house speakers in the ceiling, then the mackie, not sure which model number it is, is powering our four JBL monitors. The musicians are using in ear monitors, via the behringer p16m's. We have an ampeg bass head, and cab, and use the cab on the stage, and also di it to the PA, so the bass player can hear it coming through the IEM's but very little is actually going through the PA. We have Roland Td30 drums, we are using the direct outs on those, so the sound man, can adjust each individual piece at the mixer. Then we have the Hammond sk1 and Korg m3 keyboard. We also have a couple Choir mics, we use occasionally.
So here is the chain
X32-S32-equalizer, QSC rmx2450 to JBL MRX FOH-Mackie ? ToJBL floor monitors.

The QSC is set to stereo mode, not sure about the mackie.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 10:37:46 AM by Matthew Uzzle »

Matthew Uzzle

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »

And ill try to get you a show profile of behringer X32 ASAP

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 01:20:17 PM »

Sounds good.  PM me and I will email you a way to drop the file to me.

Now, about that speaker hang...fess up, how are they flown?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 01:20:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.