ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stopping non-sound people from blowing speakers (compressor/limiter)...  (Read 12759 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

Logistically how does one test the threshold on a mic channel?  Are you saying to yell into a mic with trial and error until I find the threshold at which the amps clip, then lower the threshold 3db from there? 

The best and easiest way is to simply put a sine wave signal into the input, with a volt meter hooked to the output.

Now you can easily adjust levels-while having a constant level on the input.

Yelling into the mic is pretty much worthless-since it is not constant and your meters will be jumping all over the place.

I guess it is better than nothing-but not much.

You need steady state signals for setting limiters-at least to start with.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio

Logistically how does one test the threshold on a mic channel?  Are you saying to yell into a mic with trial and error until I find the threshold at which the amps clip, then lower the threshold 3db from there? 

Don't try to use the mic compressor to eliminate clipping. Use the output limiter for that.

The input compressor on the mic channel should just be used to tame the peaks in the users voice. Don't even look at the clip lights when setting this. After the compressor is set you can then adjust the mic volume up or down as needed -- this is called make-up gain.

The output limiter is what you'll be using to prevent clipping. This should be configured as Ivan has suggested above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS

The best and easiest way is to simply put a sine wave signal into the input, with a volt meter hooked to the output.

Now you can easily adjust levels-while having a constant level on the input.

Yelling into the mic is pretty much worthless-since it is not constant and your meters will be jumping all over the place.

I guess it is better than nothing-but not much.

You need steady state signals for setting limiters-at least to start with.

It is also a good idea to unhook your loudspeakers when you do this to avoid all the noise and to avoid blowing them up.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

It is also a good idea to unhook your loudspeakers when you do this to avoid all the noise and to avoid blowing them up.
It is NOT a good idea to disconnect the speakers- IT IS ESSENTIAL!!!!!!!!

Unless you like to blow stuff up, then leave them hooked up.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Justin Goodman

It is NOT a good idea to disconnect the speakers- IT IS ESSENTIAL!!!!!!!!

Unless you like to blow stuff up, then leave them hooked up.

Don't have a voltmeter so used program material and a live class to tweak the limiter -- starting conservative and easing off slowly.  We agreed on a particular 3-4 mins where she would go all out on music and yelling for my testing purposes.  Lights up the -10 indicator pretty good, but that's it...

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:14:10 PM by Justin Goodman »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Don't have a voltmeter so used program material and a live class to tweak the limiter -- starting conservative and easing off slowly.  We agreed on a particular 3-4 mins where she would go all out on music and yelling for my testing purposes.  Lights up the -10 indicator pretty good, but that's it...

A voltmeter can be had for under $10.00  not a good one but certainly functional.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA

A voltmeter can be had for under $10.00  not a good one but certainly functional.
And for most cases-"good enough".

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.