ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Itech question  (Read 4867 times)

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
Itech question
« on: July 21, 2016, 11:35:43 PM »

When using a IT 4000 for tops and 6000 for subs the voltage input sensitivities and gains are different. 28db is 4.35v on the 6000 and I believe 5.8v on the 4000.  Should you match the gains or voltages when running these amps together. Thanks!

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: Itech question
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 12:27:02 PM »

When using a IT 4000 for tops and 6000 for subs the voltage input sensitivities and gains are different. 28db is 4.35v on the 6000 and I believe 5.8v on the 4000.  Should you match the gains or voltages when running these amps together. Thanks!
We run IT 4000 and 6000 on speakers and do not match the voltage gain.  You should match the output and voltage gain to the speaker that each amp is driving.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 12:35:12 PM »

What speakers are you using?  Is this part of a JBL or other Harman device file?

The *gain* should be the same, thereby causing the amount of amplification to be the same.  Input sensitivity is how much input voltage will cause the amp to reach its full rated output.

If an amp has a greater current output capacity (your 4000/6000 example) it will take more input voltage to reach that greater level presuming the *gain* is the same.

Generally you want the gains the same; if you have the same input sensitivity a larger amp will be louder, sooner, than a lesser-rated amplifier.  That makes things squirrely in setting pass band levels.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Betts

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 12:46:18 PM »

I'm using SM80/TH 118. I normally run 6000's on the whole rig but need to run the 4000 on the SM 80 today. So set the gains on both amps at 28db and not be concerned with the difference in voltage between the two amps?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 01:19:22 AM »

I'm using SM80/TH 118. I normally run 6000's on the whole rig but need to run the 4000 on the SM 80 today. So set the gains on both amps at 28db and not be concerned with the difference in voltage between the two amps?

Correct
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Betts

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »

Just one of those things I never really picked up on before while  setting up the the system. Does the difference in voltage cause any kind of latency issues?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 01:04:51 PM »

Just one of those things I never really picked up on before while  setting up the the system. Does the difference in voltage cause any kind of latency issues?

No. Why would it?

Jonathan Betts

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 01:11:24 PM »

Because someone who I thought who new what they were talking about said it may be an issue. Thanks for confirming!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 03:06:17 PM »

Because someone who I thought who new what they were talking about said it may be an issue. Thanks for confirming!

Latency in the ITechs and HDs are from A\D conversion, sample rate conversion and DSP processing.  The rate is fixed and the amount depends on the input signal - 48k or 96k AES, Cobranet or analog.  This is covered in the owner's manual.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »

Because someone who I thought who knew what they were talking about said it may be an issue. Thanks for confirming!
Always good to get a definitive point of reference on how much someone actually knows. ;)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 03:42:53 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.