ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proco Splitter snake questions  (Read 3696 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Proco Splitter snake questions
« on: July 21, 2016, 09:04:04 PM »

I'm using a Proco 16 channel Split snake this weekend and can't find much about it.
16 channel with dual 12 foot trunks.  Each channel seems to have a ground lift switch as well as a balancing transformer inside. 
Are both trunks transformer balanced? I'm guessing its a ground lift switch not a transformer on/off switch?
Quality of unit?
I've used Proco DI's before with no problems but not a split snake from them.

There is no model No. or any information on it. I've searched the web and can't seem to find anything not knowing what model it is. Appears to be in great shape and I do plan on testing it Friday.

Anyone run across one of these? Thoughts?

Douglas R. Allen

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
Re: Proco Splitter snake questions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 09:08:52 PM »

I'm using a Proco 16 channel Split snake this weekend and can't find much about it.
16 channel with dual 12 foot trunks.  Each channel seems to have a ground lift switch as well as a balancing transformer inside. 
Are both trunks transformer balanced? I'm guessing its a ground lift switch not a transformer on/off switch?
Quality of unit?
I've used Proco DI's before with no problems but not a split snake from them.

There is no model No. or any information on it. I've searched the web and can't seem to find anything not knowing what model it is. Appears to be in great shape and I do plan on testing it Friday.

Anyone run across one of these? Thoughts?

Douglas R. Allen

I had a very similar custom proco split. (30 foot tails). One tail will be transformer isolated (easy to test by sending phantom and testing with a mic) the switches are ground lifts.

Mine was stolen and I miss it, but haven't been willing to suffer the pain of replacement. Good transformers are expensive.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 09:10:45 PM »

Well, both trunks are transformer isolated from each other to prevent noise and interference across the split.

Safe to say the switches are simple ground lifts.

Looks like a nice little unit.

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »

Well, both trunks are transformer isolated from each other to prevent noise and interference across the split.

Safe to say the switches are simple ground lifts.

Looks like a nice little unit.

Isolated from each other, but one fan isn't isolated from the inputs so phantom mics may be used. (Single tap transformer)

Proco has a custom shop, so best to test as configuration may be different.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 07:27:55 PM »

Testing showed the same as everyone's help here stated. Switches are for ground lift. One leg is transformer isolated.  I have to say I was was impressed with the sound. Even an electronic drum kit with the outputs on "go man go" sounded great. Loved the bass guitar as well direct from his peddle.  Nice to have isolated inputs for the monitor system.
Are those transformers a little better than average? Things didn't seem as "soft" as I've heard though other single channel di type boxes. 

Thanks for the information.

Douglas R. Allen

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:34:56 PM »

Testing showed the same as everyone's help here stated. Switches are for ground lift. One leg is transformer isolated.  I have to say I was was impressed with the sound. Even an electronic drum kit with the outputs on "go man go" sounded great. Loved the bass guitar as well direct from his peddle.  Nice to have isolated inputs for the monitor system.
Are those transformers a little better than average? Things didn't seem as "soft" as I've heard though other single channel di type boxes. 

Thanks for the information.

Douglas R. Allen

I priced transformers from ProCo as I had 4 non-iso channels. If memory serves they were $70 apiece.

So I would gather they are better than average.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 04:17:59 PM »

I priced transformers from ProCo as I had 4 non-iso channels. If memory serves they were $70 apiece.

So I would gather they are better than average.

Thanks Steve;

They really do sound great.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 04:17:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.