ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Consultant Selling me a DSP  (Read 18322 times)

Cailen Waddell

Re: Audio Consultant Selling me a DSP
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 03:19:36 PM »

Good luck getting long attack times (>1sec) out of the nexia limiters.... At least the last time I used them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't been inside a nexia in about 4 years...  Checking the software you can have up to 2 seconds of attack. 

The Audia also has 2 seconds of attack.  I believe both can have over 20 seconds of release.

There are certainly other DSP products out there, and no product is the right product of its the wrong product I just have run a number of venues with Biamp DSPs and I have no complaints about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dustin Corey

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2016, 04:50:10 PM »

Update:

I have dropped the first consultant with the DSP sales and have contacted several other companies suggested here through PMs.
The guy I'm working with now is partnering with me to figure things out. His rate is very reasonable, and he has large network in the industry. I don't however feel like he can single-handedly design the perfect system for me, so I continue to learn more. Lots of research and YouTube videos. I do plan to attend the WFX conference next month, but sadly it will be a little late for our purchase unless we use rental gear for awhile.

Here are a few measurements:
The stage will be extended 6 feet forward from what is seen in the photo I posted earlier and is 2 feet high.
The ceilings are about 30 ft high at the edge of stage, with an apex of 36 ft.
Height under balcony is 7'8".
Stage to back  wall is about 50 ft.

The guy is bringing in a Tectonic demo. That technology makes me very nervous. I'm pushing to demo another brand but I don't who we should try to bring in? I heard some db t8s that sounded pretty good at a church last week, or maybe JBL but it didn't get much love here: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,160163.0.html
Should I be thinking mini array, or point source? Once we bring the stage out, it will become quite a wide room to cover, along with the deep balconies.

For the console, I'm thinking the GLD 112 with the 2 stage boxes and a several ME-1 personal mixers. I'm a little worried about end of life on this board/firmware/ipad app. But not sure what else is comparable that fits this price range. With needing around 40 channels, the QU is too small, and the dLive is out of reach. There are some rebates that give two AR84s for free with purchase of the GLD 112. I guess my trade off here is older gear but lower price. Any strong reasons to not go this route?

Another sales (not consulting) company mentioned here quoted me 10k for everything! SI Expression 3, 2 CBT70J-1 with the low end extenders and one ASB-6115 sub. Either they don't understand what heavy contemporary music and youth events are like, or I've been wayy over thinking this.

Attached another view of the sanctuary.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 08:15:27 PM »

I LOVE how the outside speakers are pointed at the walls and NOT at any of the people.

I bet the installer is happy he sold you gear that MAKES IT WORSE!!!

He is laughing all the way to the bank----------

That is a perfect example of people selling gear that they have no idea how it works.

Hence the reason many Churches by 3 systems before they get one that works.

Some Churches buy more-looking for the magic bullet, and not listening to or understanding basic physics.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dustin Corey

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2016, 10:15:15 AM »

I LOVE how the outside speakers are pointed at the walls and NOT at any of the people.

I bet the installer is happy he sold you gear that MAKES IT WORSE!!!

The photo above is the current state .I'm here looking to gain knowledge and seek advice for a replacement system.

John L Nobile

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2016, 11:05:03 AM »

The photo above is the current state .I'm here looking to gain knowledge and seek advice for a replacement system.

I've been extremely pleased with my Danley SH96HO's. May be overkill for that space but there are other models available. There's lots of threads on this site. Check them out.
I'd be calling a Danley rep in the area and arranging a meeting. Or call around and find a church that has a Danley install. There seems to be a few of those.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2016, 01:01:36 PM »

I bet the installer is happy he sold you the previous team gear that MAKES IT WORSE!!!

This is obviously not the first system in the space. You can see the remains of a prior system behind the current cluster.

The current cluster likely could be improved by simply disconnecting the two outer speakers, but even then it may not be suitable for the changing needs of the congregation.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:53:29 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »

To the orginal question, I am seeing more and more reasons for larger more advanced DSP's in the HOW market. Churches have more speaker zones to cover; nurseries, secondary auditoriums, live streams etc, and/or they want Crestron style touchpad to control a mic or two and music play-back without having a system operator, loudspeakers processing requirements. There are tons of reasons.

On to the second part, has anyone provided you drawings for loudspeaker coverages or acoustic simulations? Or even talked about them? Those are key elements to the process even if its not the first thing that's accomplished.
Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2016, 02:33:45 PM »

Don't let contractors rush you into a decision.
    Any company with a great product is in no hurry.
There are some great options and installers out there.
you should include Danley on your short list
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Dustin Corey

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 09:04:35 AM »

On to the second part, has anyone provided you drawings for loudspeaker coverages or acoustic simulations? Or even talked about them? Those are key elements to the process even if its not the first thing that's accomplished.

I've heard EASE tossed around once but didn't seem much of a priority. I'll ask about that again.

Don't let contractors rush you into a decision.
    Any company with a great product is in no hurry.
There are some great options and installers out there.
you should include Danley on your short list

Danley seems to have great reviews here...I'll start digging that direction for info/demo/quotes.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 02:19:59 PM »

I've heard EASE tossed around once but didn't seem much of a priority. I'll ask about that again.

Danley seems to have great reviews here...I'll start digging that direction for info/demo/quotes.
Danley will do free designs and provide you coverage maps and loudspeaker recommendations.

We just need the dimensions of the room and typical usage (spoken word, moderate or heavy music etc.), Where it is possible to put speakers and so forth.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2016, 02:19:59 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.