ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Head about to explode  (Read 11950 times)

Michael Gazdziak

Re: Head about to explode
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 10:01:52 PM »

I'll see you on main stage all weekend. It'll be really great to meet you and put a face to the name.

7 days and counting down. I am doing the RF coordination for the Panorama Festival on Randalls Island in NYC. Over 3 days there will be 62 performers on 3 stages, plus any electronic press that shows up. I have been working on it for a few days already, but so far I don't have info from a single band as to what RF they may be traveling with. I do have frequencies set aside for what the sound companies are providing, but nothing from the artists. Load ins start at 7am and soundchecks start art 9:30am, not really enough time to get the coord done and all the gear programmed so they can turn it all on.

For those who care, Main Stage - Rat Sound, Pavilion Stage - 8th Day, Parlor Stage -  See Factor

Herding cats

Mac

edit: change 61 to 62

Scott Helmke

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 11:05:33 PM »

Coordination between stages need only to avoid direct hits. Inverse squared power dissipation works in our favor here, and makes it unlikely that IMD products between stages will be of sufficient strength to cause interference. This opens up the math considerably for more candidate freqs.

Zones are definitely useful on bigger events. I use them a fair bit when I do the local Big Ten football games.  To some extent it's a game of "so who will never be close to each other?", which in a stadium with media and comm everywhere can get interesting.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 03:26:04 PM »

For those who care, Main Stage - Rat Sound, Pavilion Stage - 8th Day, Parlor Stage -  See Factor

FWIW the main stage hang is 8 SB28s over 12 K1s with 4 K2s hung under. Outfills are 8 K2s. Ground subs are cardioid array of some type made out of SB28s.

RF coord continues to develop. Day one looks like 2 coords to get through the day on the main stage, Day two probably the same, day three unknown as of now.
Mac
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:29:09 PM by Mac Kerr »

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2016, 04:49:19 PM »

RF coord continues to develop. Day one looks like 2 coords to get through the day on the main stage, Day two probably the same, day three unknown as of now.

It's day 3 at my little show: Rehearsals always go well. Then doors open, all these ENG types show up and the evening's fun begins. Just one coord, though it varies a bit each day.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 03:33:36 AM »

7 days and counting down. I am doing the RF coordination for the Panorama Festival on Randalls Island in NYC. Over 3 days there will be 62 performers on 3 stages, plus any electronic press that shows up. I have been working on it for a few days already, but so far I don't have info from a single band as to what RF they may be traveling with. I do have frequencies set aside for what the sound companies are providing, but nothing from the artists. Load ins start at 7am and soundchecks start art 9:30am, not really enough time to get the coord done and all the gear programmed so they can turn it all on.

Herding cats

Mac

edit: change 61 to 62

This is a great thread! Thank you for posting it and to those who've replied.

Good luck!

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 08:53:31 PM »

Some days I read what Mac is up to and think, yeah, I'd like to do that.  Today is not one of those days...

While I was not so patiently waiting for information from artists it was a little (lot) nervous, but now that all the info is in, and we are on our last act on each stage for the day I think I can call it a success. Arcade Fire is setting on the main stage right now with their 20 rf mics and 16 IEMs, and so far they are happy.

It took 3 coordinations to get through the day, but it just takes time once you have the info. One thing I would say to soundcos who provide for festivals like this, and this could apply to artists carrying RF as well, don't bring whole racks of a single tuning band. If you are providing for artist #1 and artist #2 is bringing their won, if you both have all the same tuning band it gets much harder to coordinate. The only advantage to sticking to one band is if you are relying on the manufacturers preset groups. In today's world they just aren't viable. Spread the tuning bands around so it is easier to coordinate with professional software.

I hope the ban on posting photos on the internet is over now that day 1 is almost over because here goes...

Here is a view of the main stage getting some final touch ups, and a view of the lawn in front of the main stage just prior to doors opening. It was a beautiful day.

Mac
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 08:55:50 PM by Mac Kerr »

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 09:45:00 PM »

It took 3 coordinations to get through the day, but it just takes time once you have the info. One thing I would say to soundcos who provide for festivals like this, and this could apply to artists carrying RF as well, don't bring whole racks of a single tuning band.

Here is a look at the bandwidth occupied by our mics and IEM for the final 2 acts on each stage.

Mac

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2016, 12:53:52 AM »

Here is a look at the bandwidth occupied by our mics and IEM for the final 2 acts on each stage.

Mac

Hi Mac,

What hardware are you using for spectrum analysis scans?  I see a lot of DTV signatures on non-DTV allocations, which indicates false signal images.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 08:12:53 AM »

Mac,
I want a picture of your exploding head.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »

Hi Mac,

What hardware are you using for spectrum analysis scans?  I see a lot of DTV signatures on non-DTV allocations, which indicates false signal images.
This is interesting!
How can you tell the false DTV from the real thing?
That scan looks similar to the one I saw in Dodgers Stadium, LA.
Many DTV channels!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 08:43:57 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.