ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure ULX-S ULX1 bodypack stops transmitting  (Read 5132 times)

Aaron Vockley

Shure ULX-S ULX1 bodypack stops transmitting
« on: July 07, 2016, 11:03:58 PM »

I'm having an odd issue with the wireless system I'm currently running. It's a bit of a hodgepodge of equipment. The main channels are 12 Shure ULX-S systems with 12 ULX1 bodypack transmitters. I also have 4 channels of Shure PGX, and 4 channels of *really* old Sennheiser EW300 G2. Oddly enough, the PGX and EW300 channels have been rock solid. The only issue was a bit of interference, but relocating the receivers from the FOH position to directly off stage and changing frequencies fixed that.

The problem I've been having is with the ULX1 transmitters. There are 2 or 3 of them that randomly stop transmitting. When I check the transmitter, it looks fine. The battery isn't dead, and the screen shows everything it should, but the receiver shows no RF signal. The only way to fix it is to pull the battery out and replace it. It doesn't need a new battery, just a reset. After that it works fine. There has also been the ongoing problem where none of the battery meters on the ULX-S channels work, but that's not really a problem.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 11:10:17 PM by vockleya »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 11:28:16 PM »

I'm having an odd issue

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Shure ULX-S ULX1 bodypack stops transmitting
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 10:13:18 AM »

I'm having an odd issue with the wireless system I'm currently running. It's a bit of a hodgepodge of equipment. The main channels are 12 Shure ULX-S systems with 12 ULX1 bodypack transmitters. I also have 4 channels of Shure PGX, and 4 channels of *really* old Sennheiser EW300 G2. Oddly enough, the PGX and EW300 channels have been rock solid. The only issue was a bit of interference, but relocating the receivers from the FOH position to directly off stage and changing frequencies fixed that.

The problem I've been having is with the ULX1 transmitters. There are 2 or 3 of them that randomly stop transmitting. When I check the transmitter, it looks fine. The battery isn't dead, and the screen shows everything it should, but the receiver shows no RF signal. The only way to fix it is to pull the battery out and replace it. It doesn't need a new battery, just a reset. After that it works fine. There has also been the ongoing problem where none of the battery meters on the ULX-S channels work, but that's not really a problem.

Sounds like faulty hardware: Return to Shure for repair.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Todd Cooke

• Williamsburg, VA
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 10:49:22 AM »

Could this be a squelch issue?  Did you relocate the ULX receivers to off-stage as well?

Aaron Vockley

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 12:17:55 PM »

I know for a fact that it's not an issue with the receiver. I have external antennas with amplifiers and distributors for all the ULX channels, and bringing the transmitter back to the receiver rack shows nothing on the meters. It's definitely a problem with the transmitter. I kind of figured it was a hardware issue, I was just hoping that there might be something I was missing.

Henry Cohen

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 12:42:11 PM »

. . . I have external antennas with amplifiers and distributors for all the ULX channels . . .

How did you determine amplifiers were needed?
Henry Cohen

Aaron Vockley

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 02:11:21 PM »

The system I'm using was already in place before I started working on the show. I assume there were reception issues when the antennas were at the FOH position, so they were moved to the booth on the second floor. There are ~30' runs of coax between the antennas in the booth and the distributors in the racks, so I assume the amplifiers were added to deal with signal loss over the long run.

Henry Cohen

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 05:02:47 PM »

The system I'm using was already in place before I started working on the show. I assume there were reception issues when the antennas were at the FOH position, so they were moved to the booth on the second floor. There are ~30' runs of coax between the antennas in the booth and the distributors in the racks, so I assume the amplifiers were added to deal with signal loss over the long run.

Even with 30' of RG58, which would be about 4dB of loss at 600MHz, an amplifier is not necessary, and will only contribute to RF problems (IMD and receiver front end saturation). I would suggest removing the amp and using a lower loss coax to get the antennas closer or in a more advantageous position relative to the performance area.
Henry Cohen

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 05:47:23 PM »

When this is happening, if you looked at the transmitter itself do you see that it has power? I have had problems with some transmitters getting hit just right and dislodging the batteries. Some have required putting strips of stick on foam on the battery door to secure the batteries. Have you tried tapping the transmitter to see if it comes back? Or the batteries weren’t properly seated in the first place. I always roll the batteries after they are put in. I have been assuming that these are transmitters that use AA batteries. If it is 9v batteries then that is a whole other problem. I just looked up the ULX1 and it takes a 9v battery. Depending on how the batteries are mounter in the transmitter it can possibly have issues with making proper contact. One of the problems with 9v batteries is the different manufacturers offerings are different sizes. I have found that the EverReady energizer batteries are taller than the Duracell and if someone uses EverReady all the time it pushes the terminal back just enough that when someone else uses Duracell they don’t make very good contact. You either have to bend the terminals out just enough to make them tight or you have to put something under the bottom of the battery to shim it up so it makes good contact.   

Scott Helmke

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »

Something to check also is for foreign matter on the battery terminals. Recent Duracell batteries can sometimes leave sticky little bits of plastic on things, very hard to see.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.