ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha CL/QL and Shure ULX D connectivity... or not  (Read 43451 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Yamaha CL/QL and Shure ULX D connectivity... or not
« on: July 06, 2016, 04:11:17 PM »

Has anyone had any success getting a CL or QL console to control and monitor Shure ULX D receivers? I'm glad I'm not trying this on a show because a friend and I have been working on the combination for a couple of hors now with zero success.

We have done updates to the ULX D firmware, the QL5 firmware, the Dante firmware on the QL, and made sure the switches are configured properly. We get audio just like always, but no joy on the monitoring and control. Very frustrating.

Mac

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Yamaha CL/QL and Shure ULX D connectivity... or not
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:10:05 PM »

I have both a ULXD-Quad and ULXD-Dual working on my CL1, along with a Rio 3224 and 2408. Apparently the big stumbling block is the requirement that the Shure units be set to automatically acquire an ethernet address and ending up with a "link-local" address (address block 169.254.0.0/16).

My whole Dante network is link-local, so I'm not certain what it takes to make that coexist on a larger and/or better organized network.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 09:47:47 PM »

I've had it working on a QL but had to call both Shure then Yamaha tech support to get it working

- Dante must be using autoconfig IP address for all devices
- There are some menu setting for the ULX-D regarding network that must be right. I don't recall the names or setting but they were pretty self explanatory and also in the manual.
- console control network settings don't matter
- to get it working I had to do a factory reset on the QL by holding a couple of buttons at startup (resets all scene data FYI)

Hope this helps

Philip

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 10:40:24 PM »

I have both a ULXD-Quad and ULXD-Dual working on my CL1, along with a Rio 3224 and 2408. Apparently the big stumbling block is the requirement that the Shure units be set to automatically acquire an ethernet address and ending up with a "link-local" address (address block 169.254.0.0/16).

My whole Dante network is link-local, so I'm not certain what it takes to make that coexist on a larger and/or better organized network.
I've had it working on a QL but had to call both Shure then Yamaha tech support to get it working

- There are some menu setting for the ULX-D regarding network that must be right. I don't recall the names or setting but they were pretty self explanatory and also in the manual.
- to get it working I had to do a factory reset on the QL by holding a couple of buttons at startup (resets all scene data FYI)

Hope this helps

Philip

Oddly, just before we left for the day it started to work. We hadn't changed settings for a while. We were in auto acquire IP addresses, but ling term that won't fly for this tightly controlled network in a financial house. If it can't be specified IP addresses we will have to do without that feature. Bummer.

Mac

John P. Farrell

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 12:24:03 AM »

My experiences have been similar to everyone else's.  Auto acquire works fine, but fixed IP doesn't.  On a small, temporary Dante network it's no big deal but I would never leave it on an install...I feel I'd be getting service calls every other day.  I hope this problem is resolved in a firmware update because it is very handy to monitor and control the ULXD from the console. 

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Ian Moore

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:28:57 PM »

Hope this helps

Philip

I found some Shure settings highlighted in this video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cj2jhbkPSE

I'm trying this, and I've gotten to the point where I can see the mics in the console's Dante module loader settings. 2 ULXDQ's "connect" temporarily, occasionally hold for a while, then disconnect. They do, however, consistently appear in the Dante device mounting menu. When I tap on the units in the Dante I/O devices menu, it tells me that the "feature isn't available right now", and the little widget icon sometimes appears as "unsupported". Also using a Rio3224 which consistently works jes' fine!

I've updated the firmware on the receivers, and have come down to the thought that I may need to update the firmware on the console/Dante card in addition to using a better switch! Mine is rather old.

Any thoughts on whether or not using cat5e vs. cat6 matters other than speed or interference?

Chanhee Son

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 04:07:01 AM »

I asked to Shure, They said that CL/QL Dante Firmware must be this version:

1.2.7 (This number seems to be especially crucial)

Check Again Plz.
I was in same problem, it solved by RE-UPDATE Dante Firmware.
Try it again :)

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber