ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Transportable Subs -- Is this idea just crazy?  (Read 13004 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Transportable Subs -- Is this idea just crazy?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 08:57:54 PM »

By today's standards it wasn't portable, but we felt the performance was worth the trouble (plus it looked cool).
I loved the "look".

The first concert I saw using the Levis and other Community product was the J Geils band "Blow your face out" tour.

That was probably the most fun I had a any concert.

They put on a great show.

I think it sounded good-but was having to much fun to really notice.

Of course that was "a few" years ago
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Barry Singleton

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2016, 12:14:25 AM »

Hey Duane;

If it was a Community mid bass, possibly M80's? Had a cap with a 12" in it?

My patio system (stuff I never intend to move again) is a pair of Boxer bass bins with JBL 2240's, Levi's in boxes with 2220's, M80's with 2020's and RH60's with 2450's.

At my age the M80's and RH60's are all I can move myself. Gads how did anyone schlep this stuff around?!? I used a pallet jack to place the Boxers in their final resting place!

Barry.
If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2016, 06:35:36 AM »

Hey Duane;

If it was a Community mid bass, possibly M80's? Had a cap with a 12" in it?

Barry.
The first "one boxes" I built used the M80s as mids.

The lows were dual JBL2225s (in a short V configuration), the mids M80s with JBL E120s (with back cap), the highs JBL 2445 on 2385 horns and tweeters were JBL 2405s (passively crossed over with the 2445.

They were 5' tall and got quite loud.

A typical Metal band setup outside was 2 per side on to of 2, 2x18" subs.  I used McKenzie 18's in those.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 10:03:52 AM »

Community had 2 different 12" mid designs. The early unit was a complete unit, all fibreglass, sealed and only needed the driver. Believe this was the MB60. The other was a flare only, as part of the "Boxer" series, and needed an enclosure. We had both, at different times.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Royce Van Norman

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 08:43:07 PM »

any opinion on thr JBL SRX 718?  there are some for sale locally for about $700 each

Rick Powell

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 11:00:08 AM »

Community had 2 different 12" mid designs. The early unit was a complete unit, all fibreglass, sealed and only needed the driver. Believe this was the MB60. The other was a flare only, as part of the "Boxer" series, and needed an enclosure. We had both, at different times.

I think the MB60 was what I had.  The "stack" was a Levi with the smaller pod loaded with 2 EV 15B's, the MB60 loaded with an EV 12L, and a Community 90 degree fiberglass radial horn with a JBL 2440.  The whole mess was unstable just sitting on the ground, and a disaster waiting to happen when we elevated it high enough to get the horn over the crowd, but it sounded pretty decent back in the day...when a pile of Crown Dc300's was our "muscle" rack.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 02:24:28 PM »

I think the MB60 was what I had.  The "stack" was a Levi with the smaller pod loaded with 2 EV 15B's, the MB60 loaded with an EV 12L, and a Community 90 degree fiberglass radial horn with a JBL 2440.  The whole mess was unstable just sitting on the ground, and a disaster waiting to happen when we elevated it high enough to get the horn over the crowd, but it sounded pretty decent back in the day...when a pile of Crown Dc300's was our "muscle" rack.
Was that a 12L or 12S?  The S was used in most of the PA cabinets while the L was mostly used for guitar.  Although when Larry Carlton put an S in his Boogie, it caused some guitarists who knew about it to raid PA cabinets for them.  Never made any of them sound like Larry, but that's another matter.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 11:51:24 AM »

I helped install a system in a roller rink which had detachable horn flares.  If I remember correctly, we also used the detachable version for some mobile events.  The flares were removed for skating sessions and provided a lot more lf extension

The main horn section had 2x18" in a box about a cubic meter.  Really high quality butterfly clasps held everything together.  I don't remember much air loss where the wood came together. 

The output of the flared horn was used to match up to 4 jbl hla subs while on tour, but for all i know, the hlas were turned down.  Nowadays, just roll out a dsl bc415 or something.

duane massey

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2016, 11:52:58 PM »

I recently built one of these extensions to match an existing one for a client. Didn't get to hear it but the design has been around for quite a while.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Royce Van Norman

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 02:02:25 AM »

Any opinion on thr JBL SRX 718?  there are some for sale locally for about $700 each

So how are the SRX 718s?    Does this look like a decent deal, or should I hold out for powered PRX etc?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2016, 02:02:25 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.