ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rider question....Need some help  (Read 2427 times)

Jerome Casinger

• Castle Rock DJ and Sound
Rider question....Need some help
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »

So I have been working with a young gospel quartet that has quickly exploded and in a matter of months been asked to headline some more major events.

They have a QSC K system, Soundcraft mixer, Senn 935's.  If they travel they just bring their mics. 

They have been running into a problem with a few places not providing very good equipment, however they are very humble and play for offerings only so accept it.  The larger events they feel they need to ensure that proper equipment is provided and not Johns basement system from 1982 as they do want to ensure its an enjoyable experience for those traveling to see them.

They asked for guidance in their rider on how they could address this to ensure for larger events that aren't inside a church...they get decent equipment.  They don't need or want the event to pay for some high dollar stuff, but don't want the other as well.

They only need 4 channels, 2 mon mixes, and an IPOD hook up.  How could they address the need for quality equipment without laying out all kinds of specifics if you catch my jist?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Rider question....Need some help
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:32:18 PM »

The biggest variable (that makes the biggest difference in the overall sound) is the speaker system, not the electronics.  Yes the electronics can make some differences, but it is small as compared to the differences in loudspeaker systems.

And within the speaker system, things like SPL output, even coverage-flat freq response, low distortion etc are key factors.

Of course-how much of each is "acceptable", and realizable in a particular situation are up for debate.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:47:05 PM »

I would just list similar MI grade gear as acceptable.  e.g. QSC K or KW series, Yamaha DSX or DSR, JBL PRX or SRX, or similar.  Ask the venue to submit what they consider as equivalent if it's not on the list.  That way you can avoid the JRX or other junk.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 10:55:38 PM »

So I have been working with a young gospel quartet that has quickly exploded

And here, I thought, only drummers spontaneously combusted  ;) .

But seriously, requesting a reasonable system that you're familiar with for each size room/audience you anticipate would be a good start.  Mention the number of cabinets per side, monitor wedges, mixer, etc. and then state "or Approved equivalent".

Get the dialog started early.  That will let the venues know you won't be nitpicking each item, in case they have competitive products and should help avoid unpleasant surprises.

Dave

...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

John L Nobile

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 11:38:31 PM »

If you feel badly about the venue spending money to rent equipment for your performance (wish there were more of you out there),  get a list of equipment that they have and a room diagram. Then bring what gear that you think is lacking for your performance.
Sounds like they don't need much but unless their rider ensures that the proper gear is onsite, they should bring their own.
BTW, I've never met a band that apologized for our venue having to spend money to meet their riders.
Your other option is to turn down gigs that cannot meet your requirements.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 11:54:54 PM »

A talented band or group is one thing; an audience able to consistently, clearly hear them is another.  If the latter is desired, that means riders and/or investing in quality gear, and quality paid tech(s).  This leads to merchandise sales, ticket sales, and charging real money from the promoters.  There is no room for guilt for charging money, the audience wasn't forced to attend. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 07:40:39 PM »

On the other hand, years ago, I knew and watched a young gospel trio with three young men, that, out of principle would not perform for money.  Sometimes, people feel some things are more important than money.  Even then, there is no need to have poor sound.  I assume someone is paying for a venue and having a reasonable system is no less important than having a reasonable venue.

Just as-or perhaps more important-than having the right gear is having someone  that can properly use what gear is available.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 07:40:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.