ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Guitar stands on stage  (Read 7381 times)

Greg Dreese

• Colorado
Guitar stands on stage
« on: June 30, 2016, 04:46:35 PM »

What is the best, or most popular, stand for a single acoustic guitar on stage?  The kind where the guitar hangs from its neck and the body rests against the legs, the kind where it sits on a couple of supports with a neck support, or the kind where it sits on supports and the body rests against a pad?  Or is it no stand at all- if you are not holding your guitar it should be in its case.

And are electric guitars any different because of center of gravity, weight or anything?

Thanks.

Greg

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Guitar stands on stage
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 06:39:14 PM »

Hands down, Hercules.

The paddles secure the neck as the weight of the guitar comes down on the stand.

I use the triple model:  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GS432B , but double and single versions are also available.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 06:54:41 PM »

Hands down, Hercules.

The paddles secure the neck as the weight of the guitar comes down on the stand.

I use the triple model:  http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GS432B , but double and single versions are also available.

Dave

The Hercules can be top heavy. I have seen the whole thing go over with a bump multiple times.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 07:06:51 PM »

Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »

Any good stand that has a cradle for the body, wide stance, and yoke for the neck. You'll never catch anyone with guitars worth having putting them in a hanging stand on a stage. That's nothing more than an accident looking for a place to happen.

I have any number of very expensive Gibson's on stage at any one time. I use the stand at the link below and never worry that it will do the job night after night. Don't buy hanging stands. They tip easily.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GS525B?adpos=1o7&creative=114579641521&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CIPjrdWY0c0CFZNgfgod6J4H1Q
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 10:56:27 PM »

I've learned to avoid the sort of stand that holds the headstock and the bottom of the body just leans against the uprights.  These tend to warp the neck.  For some strange reason they work well with electric bass guitars, but not regular electrics.

It really depends on how exposed the guitars are.  To travel light I have a couple of the Hercules A frame things where the bottom rests on brackets and the back leans against a pad.  But I would never use these in places where they would be exposed to band traffic and especially civilian traffic.

If you have lots of guitars, the side by side stands are a bit safer.  I used to have a fold up frame one but I know some people who are happy with the ones that fold up out of a guitar case like box.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 11:09:10 PM »

The Hercules can be top heavy. I have seen the whole thing go over with a bump multiple times.

Knock on wood, it's never happened to me.  But, I hang plenty of ballast:

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 02:22:03 PM »

I've learned to avoid the sort of stand that holds the headstock and the bottom of the body just leans against the uprights.  These tend to warp the neck.

Gonna call BS on this. I have several dozen acoustic and electrics hanging by their headstocks (some for several years) with no ill effects. On stage I may bring a stand if I remember, but mostly lean it against an amp or something. But then I'm not taking a $2k+ guitar to a gig either.
When I have to take more then one instrument, I use one similar to what Bob linked.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 11:41:11 PM »

I think Stephan is talking about the style to which bob pointed out, which is similar to the style I have been using for 20+ years.

I have never had a guitar fall out of this stand, not has it ever been knocked over. The only gripe I have is that if you kick any of the guitars, it knocks into the other one next to it. have a couple of nicks from that happening. Funny things is I have never been the one who has kicked them......

Of the 12 or so guitar I own, half are nearly as old as me or older ( I'm 38 this year, and three of them are older than that ). Two of the guitars in this picture are older than me! I have had them on a stand like this for years at a time as I cycle them and none have any neck issues from the stand.

For live shows I prefer to use the body only supported stands like this http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS402BB.html

I find them to be stable and about as kick proof as any stand could be. I have seen the neck hanging ones like Dave posted fall over from just wind alone and they are even worse when one or more guitars is not on the stand to balance it out.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »

The best stand for guitars is this... or whichever brand.  I've seen them for 3 guitars also.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Guitar-Stand-Case-For-6-Electric-or-3-Acoustic-Guitars-GDC-6-/222153316425?hash=item33b95e9849:g:KlkAAOSw8-tWbMJp

-Tim T

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 25 queries.