ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Driver exit  (Read 5013 times)

Bob Kidd

Driver exit
« on: June 29, 2016, 09:13:41 PM »

Have been using JBL 615s and 512s. Just recently added RCFs nx12 and love them ( thanks Mike) for monitors. Have had a few concerned with using due to 1" exit on driver. Understand that 2" would be more efficient in vocal range but feel they sound great (especially RCFs). Do you find this being an issue in your travels. Thanks!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Driver exit
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:19:11 PM »

Have been using JBL 615s and 512s. Just recently added RCFs nx12 and love them ( thanks Mike) for monitors. Have had a few concerned with using due to 1" exit on driver. Understand that 2" would be more efficient in vocal range but feel they sound great (especially RCFs). Do you find this being an issue in your travels. Thanks!
There is not an "inherent" advantage of one vs the other.

It depends on a lot of other parameters.

However, a 1" will horn load up to a higher freq, and can produce a wider pattern than a 2"

Some 1" drivers go lower than some 2".

It also depends on what the next lower passband is and how well the particular driver mates to it.

If they sound good, then fine.

But don't use the simple driver exit size as any sort of indication of quality.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Bob Kidd

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:35:01 PM »

There is not an "inherent" advantage of one vs the other.

It depends on a lot of other parameters.

However, a 1" will horn load up to a higher freq, and can produce a wider pattern than a 2"

Some 1" drivers go lower than some 2".

It also depends on what the next lower passband is and how well the particular driver mates to it.

If they sound good, then fine.

But don't use the simple driver exit size as any sort of indication of quality.

Totally agree, just had one tech so caught up in it not being 2". Never listened to the monitor.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 09:36:46 PM »

A company we sometimes partner with has a bunch of those RCF nx12 and they are screaming loud. I think you are trying to find a problem where one doesn't exist (trust me, I do it all the time with gear). They sound good and get crazy loud, big step up from your old wedges. Be content

Bob Kidd

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 09:43:25 PM »

A company we sometimes partner with has a bunch of those RCF nx12 and they are screaming loud. I think you are trying to find a problem where one doesn't exist (trust me, I do it all the time with gear). They sound good and get crazy loud, big step up from your old wedges. Be content

Oh believe me I am. Just with this act making a big deal about it wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything. No, the RCFs rock.

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:54:04 PM »

A lot of riders ask for biamped monitors  with 2" horns. But they've been saying that for years now.
I have 8" coax monitors that sound better than most of the above. No one's asked me what's in them yet but if they do, I'll probably say a 12 with a 2"horn I think.
I'm not an expert but the new horns seem to sound better and put out more SPL than the previous generations.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:20:15 PM »

It used to be the 2" requirement on riders was to separate the wannabee providers with M.I. gear from the guys with real professional hard-working and reliable equipment.
That and large format drivers get raging-loud, can handle longer amounts of abuse and usually had the honk and blare that many engineers needed in their wedges to be heard by deafened artists!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 06:41:27 AM »

It used to be the 2" requirement on riders was to separate the wannabee providers with M.I. gear from the guys with real professional hard-working and reliable equipment.
That and large format drivers get raging-loud, can handle longer amounts of abuse and usually had the honk and blare that many engineers needed in their wedges to be heard by deafened artists!
I am from "the 'ol days".

It was very common to hear that 2" had more highs than 1".

That was completely false then-and now.

A 2" can "typically" get louder, but the loudness is all below 3Khz.  A typical 1" will b able to get louder up higher.

Yes the larger diaphragm driver can typically handle more power-due to the larger voice coil.

But the same thing that give it the extra power capacity is exactly the same thing that rolls off the top end.

This is due to the self inductance of the larger voice coil and the added mass of the larger diaphragm.

So -it depends on what you are wanting or looking for.

Loudness does NOT equal freq response or sound quality.

One size does not fit all.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 08:23:38 AM »

This.

A mechanism for a band engineer or musicians to avoid getting insufficient monitors.

I've been using the BMS 12" coax in a cabinet of my own design with passive crossover designed by Curtis List for years now, and they have been in front of a lot of artists(some with some shiny records and little grammaphone statues even), and they have never ceased to impress, and they get pretty loud on top of it. 

Best regards,

John

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 10:58:42 AM »

Bob, do you realize that the 2" exit horn is kind of a rare animal now a-days, at least in the JBL line.  Most 2" models have been replaced by drivers with a 1 1/2" exit.  It's been a long time since JBL has introduced a model with a 2" exit driver, as far as I know.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 10:58:42 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.