ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a monitor board  (Read 8796 times)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Looking for a monitor board
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 01:07:30 PM »

So someone help me wrap my head around this part. I'm sure I'm using the pres on my stage boxes right now but controlling them with my board. But i can also set the it so that the preamp is being used in the board instead, correct?

If you're using stageboxes and 2 boards, an you assign the pre-amps to each board and not use the pre-ampss on the stageboxes at all?(my board is in my trailer, so i can't check) So you would not need a splitter snake to give each board control of their own pre-amps. Is that right or wrong?

And who controls phantom power?

With stageboxes, the preamps on the console are bypassed; digital from SB into the console.  You can only access them through the XLRs on the console.
This is why the question comes up about whether to control the pres and phantom from FOH or monitor land.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Rick Powell

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 01:32:29 PM »

I'm totally convinced that what a sound system looks like influences a lot of people on how it sounds. The bigger is better school of thought.

I came into a place that had a sound system assembled with various vintage boxes (JBL 4560's, scoops, random size horns) in no particular arrangement other than there were lots of them, and it looked "massive". I thought to myself, "this is going to sound like #$%^&*" and it turns out my eyes did not deceive me.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 03:46:56 PM »

With stageboxes, the preamps on the console are bypassed; digital from SB into the console.  You can only access them through the XLRs on the console.
This is why the question comes up about whether to control the pres and phantom from FOH or monitor land.

Not exactly bypassed.
The preamps are wired to the XLR  connectors. So, if you use a connector on the stage box, you use the preamp on the stage box. If you use a connector on the rear of the console, you use that preamp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 05:18:53 PM »

Rob is correct.  One downside of the X32 is that inputs (and outputs) must be selected in groups of eight.  Unfortunately you cannot use the stage box for mic inputs 1-28 and then use the console inputs for 29-32 as an example.  There are additional 1/4" aux inputs on the console which helps some with that problem.  Still a damn good board for the $$.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2016, 02:46:54 AM »

Rob is correct.  One downside of the X32 is that inputs (and outputs) must be selected in groups of eight.  Unfortunately you cannot use the stage box for mic inputs 1-28 and then use the console inputs for 29-32 as an example.  There are additional 1/4" aux inputs on the console which helps some with that problem.  Still a damn good board for the $$.
This scenario actually works on the x32. Have the inputs set to aes50 to get access to the 28 channels of the selectable 32. Then use aux remap set to local 1-4.

Now you can freely assign each channelstrip to your required inputs.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »

Robert, thanks.  I didn't know that.  I had heard that you could remap now, but I have never used it.  That's why I look to the ProSoundWeb Community to learn things every day!

John L Nobile

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »

That's why I look to the ProSoundWeb Community to learn things every day!

+1000!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 26 queries.