ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cone Surface Tear Repair?  (Read 3226 times)

Dennis Wiggins

Cone Surface Tear Repair?
« on: June 26, 2016, 09:30:27 PM »

I got a heckuva a deal on this bass amp.  It plays OK.  However  >:(, when I opened it up, the dust cover was ripped off along with some of the the top layer of the cone surface.  I have a new dust cover (Simply Speakers) to glue on.

You can see the tear on the left side of the picture. It is about 2" wide, visible between the 1st and 3rd ribs, and all the way to the center.  Is there anything I should rub onto the surface where paper was ripped off, or should I just leave it alone.  It works fine, otherwise.

Sheffield
15462CRF

-Dennis

Thanks to all for the responses. Elmer's it is, for the cone.

-D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:22:26 AM by Dennis Wiggins »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Cone Surface Tear Repair?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »

Dennis,
You can do this yourself or have a shop do it. Put a new dust cap on the driver and the glue used for the dust cap will take care of any weak spots where the old dust cap used to reside.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 10:47:35 PM »

Our back in the day/redneck fix was to use toilet paper and white glue to reinforce small tears in cones.  Laminate a few layers of tissue as you would with fiberglass.  The stuff they sell for reconeing and dust caps is basically simple white glue.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 11:00:04 PM »

Clear nail polish, yo.

- Jordan Wolf
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 06:39:12 AM »

Our back in the day/redneck fix was to use toilet paper and white glue to reinforce small tears in cones.  Laminate a few layers of tissue as you would with fiberglass.  The stuff they sell for reconeing and dust caps is basically simple white glue.
It is best to dilute the white glue 50% with water.

This allows it to soak into the cone better-and weighs less.

Put the glue mix on the cone-place the tissue paper on it, and then apply a little more glue to tack down the edges.

I would disagree that "the stuff they sell for reconeing" is white glue.  White glue does not stick to metal very well.

It is only good for porous surfaces.

The Dust cap glue does dry hard like white glue, but is stronger and not as thin.

But for a lower powered speaker like this it might work fine.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 10:24:03 AM »

On an antique radio forum I am on fabric glue is very popular for this sort of thing on dry and cracking vintage cones.  It stays more flexible. They dilute it for the cone surface and use it strait for dust cap. Coffee filters are popular as a backup reinforcement.  I think most of them use the water based variant.  I ended up with an acetone version and it also seems to work fine.  I diluted it for the cone and used it strait for the "dust cap."

This is my first try at a vintage radio and it is not yet done so I have no idea on longevity.  I suspect it will last a long time.

I WAS going to show a before and after picture.  However the forum has decided my pictures are "a security risk" and I am sick of fighting it.

I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Scott Helmke

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 05:13:06 PM »

My approach (most recently used on those extremely oval speakers in a Wurlie electric piano; holding OK after several years) is to use scraps of silk from an old shirt along with rubber cement. The silk fabric is very flexible but also strong, and can be used to repair the accordion part of a suspension as well as the cone itself.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 06:57:22 PM »

I used Elmer's only (2 coats).  I never was good at papier mache.  The darkness is residue from someone's previous attempt to repair with RTV.  I needed something that would stick to anything, so, I attached the dustcap with Tec Universal Pressure-Sensitive flooring adhesive.  Very sticky stuff.

I think it'll work.

-Dennis

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 07:21:50 PM »

I used Elmer's only (2 coats).  I never was good at papier mache.  The darkness is residue from someone's previous attempt to repair with RTV.  I needed something that would stick to anything, so, I attached the dustcap with Tec Universal Pressure-Sensitive flooring adhesive.  Very sticky stuff.

I think it'll work.

-Dennis
A light dusting of some black spray paint will make it look much better and even.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 07:21:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.