ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hazer Fluid Question  (Read 4477 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Hazer Fluid Question
« on: June 25, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »

I recently did an event where the lighting company used mineral oil as their hazer fluid. They said they've been using it for a long time with no issues. It's a lot less expensive than regular haze fluid. 

Is anybody else here using mineral oil? Any issues?

Thanks

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Hazer Fluid Question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 01:51:33 PM »

Really quickly, I would look at the MSDS sheet for you favorite oil based haze and check the specific CAS codes for the primary ingredients and then compare with the codes on US P grade mineral oil.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 02:15:18 PM »

OK this is getting interesting. I just looked at antari's sheet which gives the formulation if "lubricating base oil" I.e. mineral oil. I believe but am not certain that they are allowed up to 10% additives under that label, but the bottle is mostly mineral oil. I don't see why, if you get a decent haze from pure mineral oil, it would not work. Any additives are probably to make the cracking more effective. N order to really compare cost you would also have to look at efficiency.

Actually I would not be surprised if the medical grade sold in drugstores is a more pure base oil than the antari product.

However it does appear antari does do batch testing for trace levels of toxic metals.

Jay Barracato

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 03:19:57 PM »

They were using an Antari hazer at this show. But they said they've used mineral oil in several different brand of hazers.

It seemed to work well. The haze hung in the air for a long time

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 03:23:17 PM by Jamin Lynch »

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 02:18:51 AM »

Some hazers do use an oil-based formula, some use a water-based. The oil-based units can leave a residue on surfaces in the venue if used regularly, and can also build up in electronic gear (lights, video projectors) than use fans for ventilation.
Years ago a local bar installed a couple of oil-based hazers and (after 30 days or so) began having issues with their video projectors. After doing some research we replaced the oil-based with water-based, and the problems went away.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 09:00:12 AM »

The water based haze is given at 65% with water 33% ethylene glycol (antifreeze) and 3% glycerin. Antari also adds a trace amount of a standard food additive biocide.

Also could be cheaply home brewed.

Actually I was very a little surprised it was ethylene glycol not propylene glycol.

Jay Barracato

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 09:26:16 PM »

Light mineral oil is what oil based hazers use, you cannot use it in a glycol or glycerin based hazer (water based).

I got out of oil based hazers a few years back but when we used them we would use mineral oil all the time. Not because it was necessarily cheaper but because you could buy it at any pharmacy. The tanks on oil based hazers last so long nobody would bother to check the levels and when you did and found out you were low, off to any pharmacy to filler-up. Just make sure there are no added medicines to the bottle when purchasing from a pharmacy (label will say). It worked as well if not better than commercial fluid.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:18:18 PM by Len Zenith Jr »

J Levene

• The Basement
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 04:22:37 PM »

I recently did an event where the lighting company used mineral oil as their hazer fluid. They said they've been using it for a long time with no issues. It's a lot less expensive than regular haze fluid. 

Is anybody else here using mineral oil? Any issues?

Thanks

The DF50 uses mineral oil, apparently it isn't poison (not that I have tried), so maybe they did this.  What was the machine?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 04:22:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.