ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Currently testing/reviewing some Bose F1 812 active tops  (Read 10011 times)

Al Poulin

Re: Currently testing/reviewing some Bose F1 812 active tops
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 12:01:19 PM »

I've never heard a DJ say "I bought these (product name here) and they/it really suck(s)."

The way you describe "low end" might indicate you're not using subs. I'll bet a paycheck almost anyone on this site, regardless of forum, can show you a system with enough low end to make your socks roll up and down. And to be honest, I've heard those cabinets in use and they're just another BOSE product IMO.

Their low frequency extension is one of their strong points for full range use (without subs) is what I am saying - considering their size and that a 12" woofer is used. Of course this is done through processing, similarly to Yorkville PS12Ps which will put many 15s to shame (until the woofer runs out of excursion capability and only the mids and highs increase in volume of course).  I always keep an open mind and remain unbiased when testing products and list the pros and cons of each. I have certainly said negative things in many of my reviews, especially one I did on some American Audio ELS-15A speakers, which are some of the cheapest actives out there and which my dealer told me I "HAD" to test on account of their awfulness. My review was honest and considered the low price point, and received many thumbs down from others, who likely bought them on price alone and did not like my honest review of them... When I DJ, my main system is a pair of DXR8s over DXS12 subs, which is perfectly suited to the moslty small weddings I do. Really small events get either my DXR15s or RCF 310As when it is mostly an older crowd and deeper LF is not wanted or required (for polkas and Patsy Cline).

Here is the ELS-15A review, and you can see some douche arguing with me in the comments that these 100$ speakers are fine for weddings... Video quality is poor, unfortunately as I had a really poor camera at the time :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv5zeMjEmzY

As always, I did point out the positives, mostly price/value related for beginners, but did indicate the very poor sound quality of the speakers, which most do not agree with given the many glowing review on websites. Of course most people buying American Audio speakers have no basis for comparison with better quality speakers...

Al 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:08:30 PM by Al Poulin »
Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  Its what separates us from the animals...except the weasel. - Homer Simpson

Jay Marr

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »

Al,
Interested to hear your options after a couple of shows. 
I have 2 friends (both using for band small club work) that have purchased both the tops and subs.  They are raving about how amazing they sound, but I have not heard them for myself yet.
One them bought the tops/subs and sold his QSC KW122 and QSC KW181 system immediately.
I though that was bold move and he should have waited to test the F1 system on a few gigs....but people do what people do. ::)
I purchased a bunch of Bose 802-II's once when a club near me closed....I tried using them for rehearsal at my studio and they were just awful.  I sold them immediately and could not believe how fast they were scooped up by people on Craigslist. (some people just love the Bose name)
I'm always looking for newer/better small tops so these are intriguing.....but this is he first review I've seen on this forum, so keep the info coming!

Thanks!

Al Poulin

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2016, 12:31:45 PM »

Al,
Interested to hear your options after a couple of shows. 
I have 2 friends (both using for band small club work) that have purchased both the tops and subs.  They are raving about how amazing they sound, but I have not heard them for myself yet.
One them bought the tops/subs and sold his QSC KW122 and QSC KW181 system immediately.
I though that was bold move and he should have waited to test the F1 system on a few gigs....but people do what people do. ::)
I purchased a bunch of Bose 802-II's once when a club near me closed....I tried using them for rehearsal at my studio and they were just awful.  I sold them immediately and could not believe how fast they were scooped up by people on Craigslist. (some people just love the Bose name)
I'm always looking for newer/better small tops so these are intriguing.....but this is he first review I've seen on this forum, so keep the info coming!

Thanks!

Thanks, and will report back after tonight's gig. Seems that to many people, simply seeing the Bose logo makes the speakers sound good to them. Some people are also happy listening to 128kbps downloads over dollar store headphones, so some people are more easily satisfied with a given quality of sound. The 812s do have a warm sound to them in a small space and I can see many being happy with them overall, but to me the lack of upper HF capability in such an expensive speaker is odd to say the least. Using heavily processed small full range drivers ro reproduce top end in a high output speaker is also an odd choice IMO.  Will give them another chance tonight, however and report back. I would have rented the matching F1 subs as well, but I don't get paid for these reviews and have to rent everything at my own expense... 

Al
Weaseling out of things is important to learn.  Its what separates us from the animals...except the weasel. - Homer Simpson

Al Poulin

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 09:11:16 AM »

Last night went really well sonically and I finally understood the reason for my difference of opinion in my studio vs at my first gig. You see in my studio, I had the top and bottom MF/HF panels pushed in (C configuration), while for the gig - where I was set up on a stage and speakers were pretty much at the kids' ear level, I had kept all the panels equal (top and bottom pushed out to form a flat shaped speaker vs the curved line array type look) and while I knew Bose applied some EQ when you pushed the panels in and out, I hadn't really played with this too much but found out last night that it makes a big difference in the sound - especially top end wise... Once I heard the difference, the C configuration was kept all night and sound was much better. Having both panels the way I did for my first gig really does a number on the top end - and not in a good way. Why this poor top end option is automatic when the panels are placed this way is beyond me, why not have it sounding its best all of the time ??? Anyway, video review will be done soon, but my opinion of the 812s is back to being mostly positive after having pushed them hard all night and being impressed overall with what they can do. Most DJs and bands will be happy with the sound and performance capabilities of these speakers IMO. Full video review to come.

Al     

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 09:11:16 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 24 queries.